Terrano Alternator/Battery problems

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 14:06
ThreadID: 8002 Views:4180 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,

I hope someone can help me out here. A couple of days ago I went to start the beast and all I got was the dreaded ticktick from the starter. Being an auto crash start was not an option so I changed the battery to a spare one, started the engine and popped the original back in and off I went. Drove for about forty minutes went home and stopped the car. Ten minutes later went to try and start it again. Bugger! Still flat.
Must be a buggered battery me thinks. Spare battery back in the car all seems good. A few days later I have the same problem so I figure I'll test the charge from the alternator. The result was 6.75v
If I take the lead off the battery with the motor running the revs rise slightly
and when I connect the battery with the motor off there is no arc so I assume there is no load draining the battery.
Is the alternator buggered or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 15:52

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 15:52
Sounds like alternaror to me. If you're still getting some charge it proberbly needs new brushes. Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 34713

Follow Up By: Jimmy - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:50

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:50
Proberbly right Bob I was afraid it would be the alternaror
thanks
FollowupID: 25074

Reply By: mick - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:49

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:49
Jimmy
never disconnect while running,It should be charging about 13volts when flat
I'd first check fan belt tension if your sure the battery is ok .Mick.

AnswerID: 34736

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 18:06

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 18:06
By the way ... an alternator will not charge a dead flat battery, you need to leave the slave battery connected for a few minutes to "excite" the alternator diodes!
AnswerID: 34737

Follow Up By: carazy merredin wa - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:24

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:24
Shaker, do you know why this is so? My dad built a small Honda generator ( stationary motor with bosch alternator) to run 3 engels. Overnight both the N770Z batteries that are connected together in parrallel are flat, 5 volts each. Start the generator up & the AMPS seem to never go over 5AMP output & the volts go up slowly-0.20 volts every minute or so. Once batteries are charged voltage output is 14.0 volts-you can run 3 engles all day & not flatten the batteries, provided the generator is running. The batteries are brand new. The alternator has been tested-ok. I have asked a couple of auto sparkies about this question- why doesn't the alternator pump out 55Amps when both or one battery is dead flat. I would have thought that the alternator would be whining in protest & charging flat out. This was the reason why dad made the generator-for a quick/maximum AMP charge. Doesn't seem to though!
FollowupID: 25090

Reply By: Mickl - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 18:11

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 18:11
With the engine off check the battery voltage with your multimeter, it should read around the 12 volt mark, start the engine and hold the revs up a little (don't rev the rings out of it, just hold them a few hundred rpm above idle) The voltage should now rise to around the 14 volt mark. If not you have a problem with the charging circuit. I'll assume it's not a broken drive belt :). Next check the wiring and connections between the battery and alternator. If no fault is evident then the fault lies in the alternator, most common fault is the regulator or brushes(most modern alternators have the brushes and regulator contained in one unit, not too expensive to change and see, depending on make/model of course. (my Bosch one was around $70 for this u beaut one that pumps out extra voltage under load) and they are a handy spare to carry in any case. If it's not this and you need an overhaul or exchange unit things may start getting pricey (as it always seems too with a 4wd :( )
AnswerID: 34738

Reply By: Russell Terrano - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:07

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:07
My alternator died slowly charge dropped to 12 volts and took 10mins to get to 13v, not enough $600 later and all happy again.

PS Warrantee Ins company closed doors 1 month before realised alternator faulty.

AnswerID: 34780

Sponsored Links