Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

Submitted: Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:14
ThreadID: 80108 Views:2981 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday interesting article in June 2010 Overlander mag on these batteries may be of interest to all, not cheap but last twice maybe three times as long as lead acid batteries.
you can look at www.lithbattoz.com.au . Also demo on www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvmvrmTMMk

lighter weight than lead acid batteries. can be discharge lower than lead acid batteries

Image Could Not Be Found

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:11

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:11
specs of cycle life at 30%, 50%, and 80% DOD please.

Internal resistance data in relation to temperature and SOC?

What does the charger look like?

Thanks, Peter
AnswerID: 424194

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:20

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:20
Sounds too much like "old/traditional" lead-acid battery questions Peter ;)

Here's what i found from the lifetech website:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Hope that helps

Andrew
FollowupID: 694612

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 13:17

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 13:17
...Sounds too much like "old/traditional" lead-acid battery questions Peter ;)....

hehehe, the laws of physics and chemistry are timeless!

What struck me when reading your copy, they avoid industry standard terms like 'state of charge' or 'depth of discharge'.

There is no mention of important data like internal resistance as a function of SOC and temperature.

And no mention about how to charge them.

To me it looks like this technology isn't quite ready yet for the tough world of automotive and RV in outback Australia.
The one great advantage Li based chemistries can offer is in the capacity/weight ratio, which makes them so popular with model plane folks and portable gear manufacturers.
Biggest drawback at this stage is the high cost of manufacturing larger capacity batteries.

Best regards, Peter
FollowupID: 694617

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 13:35

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 13:35
I believe those terms relate rather to lead-acid technology and with modern battery technologies these tend to be less important. Other battery technologies are the same in some of their approach eg fuel cells in that they do not compare their tecnolgy with that of the traditional battery.

Having key features like overvoltage/undervoltage/temperature electronics etc might make it somewhat more difficult to plot certain values on a chart.

I thought the main advantage in the RC world was to do with their discharge and recharge characteristics rather than weight alone. Pulling large currents should be right up their alley :)

Just my opinion based on limited experience with LiPo's. I may be way off the mark LOL

Andrew
FollowupID: 694619

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 14:13

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 14:13
On the basis of my RC experience Lipo batteries are able to provide high amp output but for their size do not have great storage capacity - in the pic above the normal battery would have somewhere about 40A/h and the other 20ah - so size for size about the same storage capacity (yes I know there are heaps of variables).

A small 2600mah lipo can put out something like 50 amps in spurts so these types of batteries would be good as starter batteries where storage capacity is less important. Lipo batteries have a major deficiency in that they can explode or burst into flames simply by being mishandled, in a fire, shock or overcharging/too great an charge so there may be issues for car use. You tube has heaps of vids showing these exploding eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw&feature=related

Having said that my 6 lipos work great and I crash my helo a lot and they have all stood up well.

Garry
FollowupID: 694620

Reply By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 18:49

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 18:49
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 424237

Sponsored Links