wheelchair in a rodeo dual cab

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 14:54
ThreadID: 80186 Views:3408 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi my daughter is in a powered wheelchair (90kg the chair) and it is hard to get the chair up and down the ramps. (She sits in a normal car seat). Does anyone have any suggestions of a winch/ lifter one that can be used as a remote to lift the chair in and out. We have a 1999 Rodeo dual cab with a canopy so it will need to fit in that. We don't want to buy a van as she loves her fishing and camping in the bush. It so cute when her eyes light up when we go "off-road". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:14
Do you have something like this in your state?

Daily Living Products

They assess needs and can advice customers where to source the needs.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 424615

Reply By: terri&jason - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:37

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:37
thanks for the advice i will look into it.
AnswerID: 424618

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:06

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:06
Since you have a canopy you will be better to pull the chair up the ramps rather than lift since you lack headroom.

I once made a unit based on a small electric boat winch to pull a golf buggy up onto a trailer for someone who was limited by arthritis. If you are handy then I would think something similar would be easy and not expensive.

What part of Aus are you in?
AnswerID: 424620

Reply By: terri&jason - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:20

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:20
Thanks Alastair, we was wondering about the height of the canopy with a lifter. We are in Northern NSW (Armidale). We are thinking of making something up similar to what you are talking about. my husband is very handy and is looking for any ideas. So for your feedback.
AnswerID: 424622

Follow Up By: terri&jason - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:21

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:21
that was meant to be thank you for your feedback
FollowupID: 695100

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:27
Without seeing the wheelchair it is hard to comment more but here are some points to consider. Happy to comment again if you have specific questions. Would be happy to help in my workshop but you are a bit far away.

1. Consider making ramps from aluminium due to wieght. Easy to have welded up and customise.

2. Have a significant vertical edge on each side of the ramps so that the wheels cannot track off and have a nasty accident.

3. Small electric boat winches are quite cheap but rise in price with size. As the retrieve is usually quite fast you can use a snatch block (pulley) to double the pull and keep the unit small. This will also help to reduce the load and hence current.

4. Make sure you have good tie down points to hold the chair if you are going to go bush with it in the back. Good quality ratchet straps attached to well placed anchor points are quick and easy.

5. The winch will pull a reasonable current when pulling up the start of the ramp. You will need heavy wire run, well protected, to make it work well. It can be easier to put a small second battery in the back near the winch. This means the heavy cables are short and things will work well. You will still need a decent wire run to recharge but it does not need to be as heavy. One of the modern power packs would have enough capacity to do the job and can be recharged later.

Whatever you decide to do I am sure the effort will be rewarded.

cheers
FollowupID: 695162

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:13
Gday,
Sorry mate... I'm having trouble working out exactly what you trying to do.
I thought you were talking about putting the wheelchair in the back of the Rodeo because you referred to ramps and a ute, but confused me with the normal seat bit?
Can you give us a bit more info......are you talking about getting the chair in the canopy and daughter in the back?
Or are you looking for a chair, or person lift, or combined?
How old is your daughter ( rough weight)

Cheers
AnswerID: 424662

Reply By: Stu-e - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:01
hi
few ideas,
uesd to work with a guy who was in a mobility scooter just had a couple of ramps and just used to drive it up the ramp with the seat removed and handle bars foloded down to fit in.
depends on what difficulty you are having, if you are driving it up the ramp and it doesnt have enough grunt to make it up a winch would be helpfull, you may have to recess mount it in the bottom of the tub and use a pulley system on the head board if space is limited.
or the other difficult working the comtrols while driving up the ramp you could have a plug at the back where you could plug in an umbilical remote to drive it up.
hope this helps
stu
AnswerID: 424669

Reply By: Wilankurgab - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:29
Hi Terri & Jason,

Yes, I get where your coming from. We also had a powered chair with a dual cab. Bit tricky when they start going off the ramps or the battery is low. Unfortunately we had to give that part of life away.
I had a relative in the same boat. He had an electric wheelchair lift which lifted the chair in the back of his 80 series. So they are available and should suit the height restriction you have.

I did a very quick google.

http://www.rebenmobility.com/wheelchair.html

There may be more closer to your area. It's all worth it when you see that twinkle in the eye!

Regards
Wil
AnswerID: 424676

Reply By: terri&jason - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:15

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:15
The feedback is fanantisc thankyou. Sorry for the confusion. My daughter charlotte is 7years old and weighs 19kg. I am talking about the wheelchair in the canopy and charlotte sitting in the back with her sisters.
Yes it is hard to get the wheelchair up when the batteries are running low. A winch is sounding like the way to go.
AnswerID: 424699

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:00

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:00
Maybe you could also include a charging socket in the rear of the vehicle to charge the chair when it isn't being used, or at night when camping after a hard day of use.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 695169

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 18:52

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 18:52
Gday,
If you mount the winch up against the cab ( out of the way), it would probably pay to fit an idler pulley on the end of your tail gate to stop the cable cutting in to it.
AnswerID: 424780

Sponsored Links