Canter or Isuzu 4wd motor home

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:33
ThreadID: 80199 Views:16118 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Considering in buying a late model
I don’t know anything about their capability off road as I never driven either of the two.
Does anyone owns or has driven these types of vehicles off road?
How do they compare with standard type of 4wd, I know it is essential to have super singles,
What’s involves to convert, and at what cost, any advantage, or disadvantage travelling in the outback with such vehicle
Your opinion, for or against will be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
gt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:51

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:51
Hi gt

We have not owned either, but make the comment as follows:

I think the main difference would be in the ride compared to a modern 4wd. Some years ago we looked at a Winnebago mounted on a 4wd light truck (i think it was a Canter). One reason we did not like it was that the ride would be too harsh for my husband's back. There were other reasons with lack of storage space for things like spare tyres, fuel cans and tools, as well as the bunk up a ladder over the cab, but it was the ride that put the vehicle out of the question for us. We then purchased a Nissan Patrol for a ride that is easy on the back and towed with it. If they have improved the suspension, they could be a good choice - test drive and see. With a motor home i wouldn't expect you doing any serious or extreme 4wd stuff, so they should be suitable vehicles for outback touring.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 424682

Follow Up By: nomadoz - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 23:20

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 23:20
Thanks Motherhen,
Your posts are always welcome
Valid point about a rough ride, but not as rough as the old Kenworth with 120psi in tyres, i agree about the bed over the cab, i will not have it, as i like to tilt the cab, fuel, will have long rang tanks,
gt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695147

Follow Up By: nomadoz - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 20:37
Thanks to you all, Peter, Dave, Michelle, for your time and photos, I just need to grab a shopping cart and get started.
gt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695252

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:19

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:19
gt, these vehicles are essentially (very good) light trucks with 4x4 added.
As Motherhen says, hard suspension is a feature that is most undesirable in an off road vehicle. That said, there are many out there taking happy campers to lots of great spots.
This company All Terrain Warriors dosome pretty good mods to fix those problems. They either replace leafe springs with longer ones, or even convert to coils all round. We saw this one on Fraser Island last year.

The other consideration is the very flexable chassis that complicates body mounting, but solutions to that are well known, but it makes the bed-over impractical.
We are obviously biased, but for us the OKA was a better choice, now proven after 5 years of touring. There is a conversion slideshow on this link, a general description of the camper and vehicle mods and slide shows of some of our trips. OKA196

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 424689

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:27

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:27
That link seems to be going to the wrong place.
Here is another....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 695153

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:56
Just found this 6 minute video clip ofa good suspension system at work.
It is an OKA on Googs Track.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 695154

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 18:24
Peter, that vehicle of yours looks an amazing rig. Just wondering, how does the track measurement of the OKA compare to LC's and Patrols? Cheers

FollowupID: 695231

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:32

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:32
Can't remember exactly what it is jdwynn. About 1500 I think. Not a lot different from the Tojos (that was one of the design aims).
The original vehicle was 1900 wide overall. I have added a bit for extra camper comfort and am 2160 wide, 3050 high and 5900 long.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 695302

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:44
If I had a choice of Canter or Isuzu, the Isuzu would win hands down. The build quality is better (although dearer), resale is better and the Canter and Dana diffs are prone to bending the Isuzu diffs aren't.

You can mod any suspension to suit yourself so that shouldn't be a decision maker as they are all a bit harsh. Super singles will give you a better ride than duals anyway.

Just make sure that the camper has a good mounting system allowing it to flex independently to the chassis.

A well set up truck will go anywhere a normal 4wd will go but make sure you have a big winch and snatch blocks!! a hilux won't pull you out. Both the Isuzu and Canter now have no spin rear diffs and factory lockers as options. The technology in the isuzu is way ahead of the canter (some may think that is a bad thing but mines can't kill them) and the canter transfer case is too noisy IMO for a modern truck.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424709

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 13:25

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 13:25
Member - Navigator 1 has just taken delivery of their Canter - customised for them in Midland, Perth. They brought it up to the Wiluna gathering, but are currently back in Perth. Perhaps you can touch base with them as I know they put a lot of energy into making this decision and have just gone through the whole converstion process.
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424740

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 21:13

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 21:13
Hi gt

This is a Bushtracker custom built onto an Isuzu. We met up with them in Tasmania, and they were taking it up the mountain tracks.

Image Could Not Be Found

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 424819

Reply By: nomadoz - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 21:26
Yes Mh, I’m after something similar 2002 on, must have onboard shower.
gt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 424821

Sponsored Links