Where to put the Generator?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 03:00
ThreadID: 80229 Views:4160 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We've recently purchased a Ford Transit Motorhome, and a small generator. We've been warned of the dangers of carrying the generator in the van (and in any case, there's no room for it) but need suggestions of how to carry it, externally. I've thought of something across the rear step, to hold the generator and maybe a fuel can, but can't see how that could be done without obstructing the rear doors, and it seem a bit too much weight to actually attach to the door. Any suggestions, please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 07:35

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 07:35
Patricia,
Does the motorhome have a rear bumper of any substantial sort. If so then you could mount a lockable aluminium box to securely hold the generator and fuel can.

cheers
AnswerID: 424842

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:10

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:10
Remember though that the distance from the rear extremity (end of toolbox, towbar, whatever) to the centre of the rear wheels cannot be more than 60% of the wheelbase. Most motorhomes are built to the max with a small allowance for the towbar. Too much weight at the rear can affect the handling considerably.
AnswerID: 424845

Reply By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:17

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:17
Swap it for a Solar Power Kit and don't use the Aircon when away from 240 Volts.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 424858

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:09

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:09
Yes, This is a seriously good thought, you will always have your batteries fully charged without hassles and will never have to buy extra fuel or carry this fuel in the vehicle either, which I'm sure you will know is extremely dangerous too :-)

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 695323

Follow Up By: Fatso - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:26

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:26
Forget the generator & go solar.
There is no comparison. Solar wins hands down.
Solars advantages are
: Less weight.
: Stored away ALL the time.
: Automatic operation
: No fuel required
: No setting up every day
: No extension leads
: No worrying that someone will pinch it when you go for a walk
: NO F----NG NOISE
: No mechanical wearing parts. That means no rings, valves or spark plugs to stuff up.
: No oil changes
: No need to even check the oil
: Cheaper by miles in the long run

Plus why do people that carry a portable generator have the need to carry 2.
Every car comes with a perfectly good alternator that can be modified or changed to provide more power the any caravanner could dream of using.
They even have a 100 kw plus engine sitting stationary while a pi--y little high wearing motor flogs its guts out producing 2000 watts of the most expensive electricity you can find.

Anyway that's my 2 bobs worth on generators.
As you can see I don't like the noisy bl--dy things destroying the ambience of camping.
Of course all the generator users are going to say how theirs is quiet & you can hardly hear it.
That's Bulls--t. Just like your farts don't stink & your home-brew tastes better than the bought stuff.
FollowupID: 695500

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:39

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:39
Well it will be quieter than your rattly old diesel or whatever yammering away all night to keep the aircon on

LOL
FollowupID: 695504

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 07:16

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 07:16
I like it. No noise!!!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 695536

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:13

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:13
I thought it was illegal to carry petrol (inflammable substance) on the rear exterior of a vehicle, and likewise inside it.

Mainey's suggest makes the most sense. If your power requirements are not excessive, one good deep cycle battery charged from solar should give adequate power for a fridge and lights. If you get lots of bad weather and little charge in, an occasional visit to a powered site to use a battery charger should be possible (depending on how remote you are).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 424882

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 17:43

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 17:43
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I agree that the solar setup makes the most sense. Wasn't happy with the idea of carrying the fuel, anyway. I appreciate the input - thanks again.
FollowupID: 695362

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 18:17

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 18:17
Its not illegal to carry fuel on the rear bumper Just stupid.

Was a big discussion on C & M forum about this

It is illegal to carry it inside a vehicle

One thing people forget that when they put 200kg of extra weight on a rear

bumper is, that when they hit a decent bump it can mutiply that weight by up to 7 times.

So is your bumper capable of with standing ove a tonne on it for 50k of corrugations.

There is a Traveller van advertised on the front of this months Motorhome Trader
Has two spares, two jerry cans and a genny or tool box on the back bumper.

Well there goes half your allowable payload even before you put the water in
Never mind the obligatory stock of booze

LOL
FollowupID: 695365

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 23:41

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 23:41
Apologies for not acknowledging Mandrake's Solar Power with the suggestion which Mainey followed up on.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 695527

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 18:42

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 18:42
OK, everyone, I'm convinced - will start saving the pennies for some solar panels - Fatso's arguments are conclusive. And as Graham says, need to save room for some liquid refreshments - especially after reading Robin Miller's tale of woe re the chardonay.
FollowupID: 695614

Sponsored Links