Tag Along Tours Feedback

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 14:06
ThreadID: 80236 Views:3425 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings. We are looking at purchasing a Toyota Hilux based Matilda Clancy 4x4. Interested in birds and photography. Is this type of vehicle suitable for tag along tours or are we talking about strict 4x4 vehicles like Troopys, Prado's and the like. cheers, case
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 15:37

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 15:37
Case I do tag-alongs all the time and apart from the cost are absolutly great. I've got a Terracan and have had no problems with whatever is thrown at me.Check with the tour operator if they would consider the vehicle inappropriate to where you are going.

usual prerequisites have been recovery points and high clearance, which a Lux has. If you want to do really remote stuff then fuel quantity would be a major consideration. The trip I just did I used 216L of petrol between Laverton & Laverton so I had to be self sufficient for that distance and conditions. (I had 185 in the tanks and 56 on the roof).

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 424897

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 16:38

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 16:38
G'day Case

Your vehicle choice is quite reasonable, I take it to be a camper type fit out?

Most mainstream tag along tour operators work along the lines where their clients have fully kitted out four wheel drives, prepaired to undertake an extensive long distance group tour from the Eastern States, to the Kimberley or the Canning Stock Route.

A smaller or "niche" local tour operator offering a much more personalized ~ charter tour ~ actually has the time and patience to guide (teach) if you like the fundamental principals of safe 4wd driving in what is honestly their very own backyard. They do not drive or travell hundreds or possibly thousands of road kilometres, just to take you into an off road situation. We are already in the home paddock.
AnswerID: 424901

Follow Up By: caseh - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:01

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:01
HI Joe and Duncan. Thanks for taking the time to give me some feed back.
We will follow through with a tag along or two to get a little experience before we set out on our own. WA here we come! Love this part of the world. We have a son and family in Margaret River. Cheers, Case NZ
FollowupID: 695714

Sponsored Links