light truck tyres - GT Radial MaxWay - anybody has experiences?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 21:38
ThreadID: 80246 Views:7510 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi folks

I drive a Toyota Hilux 2000 with Matilda camper on the back. That thing is so heavy that I push 60psi in the back tyres. A real tyre challenge, considering that the Hilux is pretty slim.
I have 195 R14 Kellys on and like to change. The are on their limit, see little distortions on the side close to the rim.

A tyre shop recommended today GT Radial MaxWay for 125$ each.
Is that good, or shall I pick Toyos. How are they?

thanks

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Navara Navvy - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 01:15

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 01:15
G'day Chris,
I too have a camper on the back of a Navara ute with a steel tray. I don't find the weight too much of an issue (med duty springs, HD shocks, 2" lift and Firestone airbags) and run Coopers on mine. However if your choice is between the Toyos and the MaxWay then take the Toyos. My experience with Toyos are that they are good honest performers and at least they have a presence here in Australia.
If you have distortion near the rim then I suspect bead damage and that is probably from sideways flexing. (In another life I ran an industrial tyre repair retreading facility for mining tyres). However, having 60psi should negate this effect so I suspect the tyres are not suited to the rims and the tyre is "rolling" on the rims as you corner. Do you have a reputable tyre expert you can have check the setup as I would suggest sorting it out before you hand over hard earned shekels for new tyres. Tyres are really the key element in any vehicle as all the mods in the world are useless without tyres to transmit to the surface you are driving on.
AnswerID: 424953

Reply By: workhorse - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 08:57

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 08:57
Wondering what size tyres you have and what Toyo tyres you are considering?
I have a Courier 2000 model TD ute with steel tray and 100kg of tools in it and have just switched to Toyo M55 tyres after running Cooper STs. These tyres were recommended for their long wearing and toughness as used by forestry and mining. The problems seems that my set up is too light for these tyres and if I run them at lower pressures for gravel roads they seem to squirm and understeer. On the highway I have to run them at relatively high pressures to get a good feel and response from them. I am a fan of the 4psi rule in tyres and have not been able to get them right.
These tyres have only had 550km on them and I am considering selling them already.
I am interested in your comments.
AnswerID: 424967

Reply By: Chris@forum - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 14:34

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 14:34
thanks guys for your interesting response.
Yes Savvy Navvy, rolling could have been the problem. The shop I got them from told me 40psi would be sufficient and 2000km later I had the idea to give them 60psi in the back instead.

I have Kellys UL366 195R14c on and its only 2x4 drive.
You see, its a heavy camper. what I found out is, that the Hilux can carry 1000kg, and the camper on your Nissan might be app 400kg?
Mine has in add a 70l LPG tank behind the axle, 2 130W Solar panels, Engle fridge and some luggage on board.
I got the springs redone and they added one more each side. The rear bearings had to be replaced and I guess the diff is the next, all related to overweight.
But everything else does a good job so far.

Can you imagine, that Van comes even longer with an lazy axle, same 2,7 4 cylinder
petrol

AnswerID: 425082

Sponsored Links