More Troopie Antics from fraser island

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:56
ThreadID: 8027 Views:1779 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Talking to my brother last night about his trip to fraser, he just returned from a week up there.

He was telling me another horror story about brain dead tourists in a troopy. Him and his mate were on Indian head helping dig out a Pathy that was bogged. They heard it coming and basically had to jump out of the way to avoid getting run over, the troopy then hit a ditch in the sand getting completely air born and the occupants were thrown all around the cabin, about ten of them not wearing seat belts, they then pulled up, got out and all cheered, absolutely ingnorant to the fact that they had nearly runover someone and could have injured themselves.

they should have been dragged out of the troopy and beaten.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wizzard - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:44

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:44
Thats the way I remeber Fraser & partly I don't go there anymore, need to go further north & keep your fav spots a secret from the turkies
AnswerID: 34845

Reply By: ChrisB - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 13:50

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 13:50
I just got back from Fraser last week – my first time up there, I’ll be back next year it was great. I had heard prior about the backpackers and rented troopies, but was shocked at the reality of the situation. I can’t understand how the authorities (police, shire council, rental companies???) let people (we saw mostly American backpackers) loose in large 4WD’s off-road with absolutely no experience and apparently no training. I’m sure these people wouldn’t drive a normal car on the road (or even their own 4by) overloaded with people not wearing seatbelts and the car packed top heavy. Now I understand they’re on holiday and want to have a good time, but it’s not going to turn out so good when someone gets hurt. Where are their brains?

Should it be the responsibility of the rental company to check for competency? Or maybe the government?

Myself, I would love to see the government bring in some sort of off-road licensing, similar to the tests we use for gun and boat licences. I’d like to sit that test; it would be good to show me that my knowledge is of the level that I hope it is.
AnswerID: 34855

Follow Up By: Brett - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:00

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:00
That's all we need ...another license.....
FollowupID: 25183

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:48

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:48
would we have a city/country license.
in the city all they need to do is get in and out of a school car park and be able to do the same in a shopping centre with out running over a poor innocent trolly(you would be surprised how many of them are killed each year).back by popular demand
:-)
FollowupID: 25190

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 21:33

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 21:33
Good grief Chris,
We are over-governed as it is. They day they bring that licence in is the day I am going feral (not far from it now).

You cannot protect people from themselves. Those who want to be idiots and write themselves off must do so but not at my expense.

Imagine some over zealous Offroad Inspector telling you to do this and do that at a creek crossing or on a beach somewhere or at a campsite
(hey bloke, you haven't lit your campfire correctly...lol).

The mind boggles.

Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 25214

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:02

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:02
Maybe we could suggest to those irresponsible drivers that they drive in the soft mud/deep sand and wait untill they get well and truly stuck, then

A) get them to dig themselves out while copping the biggest earful about safety on the beach, or

B) leave them there and let the tour operators cop the cost of recovery/replacement of the vehicle, maybe then the operators will be a little more selective about who they rent to and how many they allow per vehicle, not to mention enforcing adherance to safety rules and education about basic recovery techniques.
FollowupID: 25220

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:07

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:07
Willem,
"Imagine some over zealous Offroad Inspector telling you to do this and do that at a creek crossing or on a beach somewhere or at a campsite"

I belive the National Parks Rangers already perform this task in a non-threatening manner, and it wil be them that you call in a real emergency...
FollowupID: 25221

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:17

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:17
Gary,
National Parks rangers are mostly PTD's or PND's and yes, they do like exert their authority if need be. I for wouldn't call one even if they were late for breakfast.

PTD = Professional Toyota Driver..........Northern Australia
PND = Professional Nissan Driver..........Southern AustraliaWillem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 25222

Follow Up By: landie - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 06:08

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 06:08
Willie

You are totally correct when you say you can't help people from themselves.

I also think that four wheel drive advertising promotes a view that driving high speed along a beach, followed by a splash in the water is the "norm". How often do we see that on the box each day. Maybe a bit more responsibility here would also assist.

Enjoy your posts,
Landie
FollowupID: 25244

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 18:16

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 18:16
Landie,
Yes agree with you totally...something must be done about the Ad agencies portraying idiotic behaviour in 4x4's. Remember that Ford ad where it jumps over as great divide or the Mitsubishi ad where the bloke drives over the rough stuff into the footy field. Rediculous!
Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 25302

Reply By: jackablue - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:19

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:19
I too was up there a few weeks back. The one good thing, was you could see them coming on the beach as their troopy had a 2ft pack on top.
They seemed to be worse on the inland tracks. Even car parks were not safe. I swear this one guy stalled 3 times doing a three point turn. We had to watch him closely in case he smacked into our 4by. Maybe he was learning to drive?

Jackablue

AnswerID: 34858

Sponsored Links