Stone Stomper vs Rock tamers

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 21:39
ThreadID: 80280 Views:40740 Replies:13 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry as this has probably been done to death.

I am about to head off with my new van so am a bit paranoid about everything.

I have been looking at the above options - I doubt I would have the time to make my own.

Has any one had experience with these products and/or comments on which may be the best option.

The stone stomper will stop the stones hitting the face of the van but not sure about underneath the van

The tamers being large mudflaps for the car should perhaps stop this but there are issues I think with the exhaust and am a bit concerned about there being throw back of stones under the car .

Any way it would be great to hear from people who have them,

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:06

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:06
I just use a strip of rubber at the back of the car, works well but won’t be up to the standard your after I’m afraid. What I want to know is how do people using these devices access there fridges at the back of the car during the day? Don’t know about anyone else but we are in and out of the back doors several time a day.

Cheers Lyndon

Ps. there was a post on this only a few days ago
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 425109

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:40

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:40
Lyndon,
I could be wrong but can't see how opening the back door of the car would be effected.

Richard
FollowupID: 695637

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 23:57

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 23:57
Hi Richard

From what I can see the stone protector is the width of the vehicle and I’m guessing about 18 inches off the ground, how do you stand behind the vehicle with this attached between car and van/trailer?
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 695649

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 00:26

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 00:26
Lyndon,
Ah get what ya mean.
Could be a problem.

Richard
FollowupID: 695653

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:09

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:09
If you watch the short video on youtube about the stonestomper you will find that it is absolutely no problem at all.

TTTSA
FollowupID: 695699

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:22

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:22
You are right it was done to death about two weeks ago so a rather long thread is still there.

I had a rubber stoneguard ahead of the rear bumper and it caused my rear tyres to run at 65deg instead of the 45 when I took it off.

The Rocktamers sit on the shank of the towbar so may let more air through but a $245 arent a cheap option. We stayed on tarseal and only got 1 stone mark in 50,000k. Lucky I guess but thats how it was.
Depends on where you are going.
THe number of vehicles we saw with stoneguards would have been a small minority.

AnswerID: 425112

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:14

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:14
Richard

Regerdless of what you get, please do not use one solid piece of rubber, as a mudflap. There has to be an air gap in the middle for air to move thru from the diff, for cooling purposed.
Don't want to boil the diff.

Nothing will stop everything

I have seen many different types of mudflaps, but the ones that impress me the most are the rock tamer type ones. I like the way they simply bolt on.

Stone stopmers look the goods, but will not stop all rocks, nothing will. However I do like the way they redirect the stones under the van.

If you are so concerned about under the van, you could put extra flaps along under the front of the van, at the piont were the drawbar meets the Van propper.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 425124

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:15

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:15
Read thead 80139 its only about 6 down the page if u have prefs set to response time.
AnswerID: 425134

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:24

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:24
And you still must cover the back windscreen of your vehicle with a carton or The beer carton alerts people to which state you are from and works a treat! It is an extremely cheap and highly effective option.
AnswerID: 425148

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:47

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:47
Ruth,
I made one for my window. After smashing one a couple of years ago - it was a cheap option.

Richard
FollowupID: 695679

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:11

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:11
Not reqd at all with the stonestomper.

Regards
TTTSA
FollowupID: 695700

Reply By: Cruisin-Oz - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:48

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:48
After spending a decade out bush in extreme heat, shaley tracks and black soil that sticks like the proverbial when wet, I removed my home made rear bumper rubber stone guard due to all the obvious problems people have mentioned. I replaced it with the hairy type that you see on some truck wheel wells. The nylon type hairs are about 30cm longand go right across the rear of my troppie. Air travels through it, mud catches but is more prone to fall off much sooner than solid rubber and stones don't bounce back. I have had the diesel exhaust modified with a 90degree tail piece that now points out the side. I also extended my towbar so it could easily slip onto it and not affect my hd/van wiring connections.
I have not seen another on the road like it.???But they must be out there?? I have used it for the last 20 months in most weather and terrain conditions and have found no wear and no prob's. I remove it when I am not towing and make sure it is locked/anchored to the van at the camp site.
It is called Towtector. The supplier is Northcoast (I think) in Brisbane.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Reg

AnswerID: 425158

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 12:01

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 12:01
Is this the one? Towtector They are in the Gold Coast area.
FollowupID: 695684

Reply By: Member - Paul F (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:22

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:22
Hello Richard,
We have the Rock Tamers fitted to a 2007 Prado towing an Innovan (read lots of vulnerable fiberglass surfaces). We did a trip to the NSW high country and traveled about 500k of stony tracks in December last year. The Tamers stopped all large rocks, but did let some small (read up to 5mm rocks through) which caused small nick marks in the van. We did have an exhaust deflector fitted which eliminates any potential burning or melting of the flap. I am advised (as other responders in this thread have alluded to) that it is difficult to eliminate all rocks. In general we are quite pleased with the performance of the Rock Tamers.
Hope this helps
Paul
AnswerID: 425168

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:43

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:43
We have a Stone Stomper and are very happy with it. I am currently at Tibooburra and have been through lots of mud and rock to get here, and we have barely any mud on the front of the van and no stone damage at all. The location of the trapeze does not restrict access to the rear door, but at least on my Disco 2, the bar to which the trapeze attaches does get in the way when doing up the safety chains and plugging in the van to the vehicle. However, that is just a minor inconvenience. I am very happy with my purchase. The other couple travelling with us have a Rock Tamer style system (a copy) and also have had no noticable damage to their van or vehicle.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 425180

Follow Up By: Black Cobra (WA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:06

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:06
I have the Rock Tamers as well but still managed to break the rear canopy window of the F250 on ther Birdsville tarck in 2007 at Coopers Creek.

Like what has been said before prevention is better and still put some kind of protection on the back window for that illusive little rock that finds its way to the back window.

At the time I was towinga 21ft Bushtracker caravan but now I have a camper trailer that has mudflaps at the bacck wheels, mudflaps at the front, stone guard and with the rocktamers on the back of the truck and the original mud flaps how far do you go.

A bit of advice don't have the mudflaps hanging to low as the height of the vehicle will alter when you fully load it up and then attached a caravan or CT to the back and when you gets onto some of the tracks that have deep wheel ruts the mudflaps drag on the ground and flick more rocks up that you can imagine.

This is what happened to me on the Birdsville track and since I have adjusted the length no problems. Don't worry about them being a bit short as with the Rock Tamers you can tilt them up and down.

Stewart
FollowupID: 695717

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:05

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:05
Thanks to all for the very helpful responses.

I have decided on the stompers but have to move my anderson plug as it will be in the way of the bar attached to the hitch

Richard
AnswerID: 425182

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:52

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:52
Even though I don't have one ....I would agree on the stone stomper idea...

I have a KK and even though it has one of the best stone shields on the front of the camper....and even after running nearly full width flaps behind the 4x4, it still got stone chips ( even along the sides of the camper.....and I've got custom made flaps to try and stop it ).....

No matter what mud flaps you have ....stones will find a way to bounce under/around them...but the stone stomper idea will stop stones coming up from the road.....but won't stop the underneath of the camper/ van etc from getting a blasting....but you can't have everything I suppose !!
AnswerID: 425195

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:13

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:13
Hi as usual I have ran in to problems with this.

I was going to get the stomper and may still do but am finding because the van has some mudflaps hanging off its stone guard it is proving difficult where to mount the stomper.

My options are to remove the mudflaps - not sure what extra benefit they give but reckon they would stop stones going underneath - any comments?

Attach the stomper brackets to the van stone guard - this will I think be a bit difficult as I don't reckon it is solid enough - and the drag of the stomper would put a fair bit of stress on it - not sure though

Some other arrangement which I am looking in to.

The stomper sure looks the goods and I have read a lot of good reports about it so I am trying to get this to work.

RIchard
AnswerID: 425248

Follow Up By: Les B (FNQ) - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 14:17

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 14:17
Richard
The mudflaps at the front of my Eclipse have taken quite a pounding from stones but lots have still passed under or around them to sandblast the front of the suspension arms. I would leave the mudflaps on, I think the stoneguard is strong enough to support the stomper.
FollowupID: 695816

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 16:46

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 16:46
I have the StoneStomper, and have to say it has certainly done everything expected of it.

We have no stone damage to the van, a-frame, gas bottles or back of the car, and have travelled on many stony tracks and roads.

It is easy enough to stand on the mesh when you want to get to the back of the car, or step over the a-frame.

It is not hard to attach or remove when you want to, and I will sometimes just unhhook from the car and leave attached to the van, shoving the mesh under the a-frame to clear the jockey wheel, if we are only stopping one night and want to use the car. Otherwise, if we don't want to use the car but need to lift the van off the towball, then I unhook the mesh from the van, move the car forward and shove the mesh under the car. When I remove it completely, I roll the mesh up and stuff it in a green shopping bag.

I leave the bar and canvas flap attached to the Hayman Reece receiver post and either leave the whole thing on the car - most of the time (it does not obscure the number plate) - or slip the receiver out of the towbar and put it in the tunnel boot or sling it under the caravan.

I have also ensured that the under-van pipes, fittings and wires are protected - as you would have to anyway whether you had a stone restriction device or not.

If the van has mud flaps under the a-frame, I would remove them since the Stonestomper mesh would give a full width protection anyway rather than just where the flaps are.

I have been very happy with the Stonestomper. Would imagine there to be almost zero effect on fuel consumption or cooling of rear wheels and diff, and it has been exactly what I wanted in stone protection and peace of mind. I can turn onto a gravel road and not have to even consider the aspect of stone damage to either the van or the car. I have not seen evidence that any stones have got through.

I would thoroughly recommend the Stonestomper to anyone. I believe Kimberly Kampers can be awkward to fit to, but would expect that the stone protection would still be superior.

Ken

AnswerID: 425284

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 07:02

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 07:02
Just a bit of an update.

I got the Stone Stomper and have installed it so it attaches to the existing stone guard. A couple of minor problems with installing the brackets but worked out OK in the end - I hope:)

It will get its first outing very soon.

I found that Christian from Stone Stompers to be very helpful and responsive as I did not give him a lot of notice.

By not removing the mud flaps there is a bit of a gap between the stomper and the van.

If an issue I could put additional protection between the flaps and the van but hopefully that is not required.

RIchard
AnswerID: 426710

Sponsored Links