Mail Redirection services

About to head off with the family for 18 months travelling around our beautiful country. Could I have anyones feedback or opinions on who is the most reliable mail redirection service available. Thank You
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jeep cherokee - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 15:46

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 15:46
Hi there shanegu6,we are doing the same thing but for a lot longer.We have asked my wife's brother to pass on our mail.He is going to MSM us from time to time and we will let him know of the nearest post office.
AnswerID: 426076

Reply By: carlsp - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 16:46

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 16:46
Try a place called MBE. Just google it. They are everywhere and hold mail, redirect it etc.
AnswerID: 426082

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 17:48

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 17:48
a word of warning with mail to "northern" or remote places .....
We have operated remote community stores in "northern" places of Australia and the postal service is horrendous, that is anything that relys on Australia Post to move the mail or parcels, we have used the Katherine, Alice Springs and Mt Isa post offices as the central sorting points and mail can go missing for WEEKS at a time .....
Only reason i say this is that no matter who you use it ALL will go via Australia Post and it will most probally get lost ........
We have found in the past that if we have to move and cant be certain of the time we will spend in one location we get the mail sent to someone you personally know and when it arrives with them they can send it on if you are CERTAIN you will be at one spot for more than 4 weeks .....
Good luck with it, hope you can work out a solution...
AnswerID: 426086

Reply By: Member - Joel and Michelle (WA - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:54

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:54
Hi shanegu6, We are doing it now. We lived in northern WA and are now travelling around Oz for 2 years. There are a number of companies that provide a mail forwarding service, we decided to use Mail4ward.http://www.mail4ward.com.au/
They are based in NSW and we have re-directed our mail to the PO box they have allocated to us. We have been offroad for a few weeks sometimes, but i can either email them or ring them and they will send through our mail to a nominated Post Office or address. (and who wants mail and bills on the Gibb River Rd anyway:)) So far we have only used POs but closer to Chrissy i will be using my sister's address. We have only had to wait an extra day, so far, for our mail to get to a place. We do usually allow a week for it to get to where we are, as we know from experience living in northern WA that mail from eastern states is slower to reach us than mail from Hong Kong! We opted for the premium service, in which they scan .jpgs of the envelopes (and parcels) they receive on our behalf onto their system. I can log in with my details and see if a particular item/letter has arrived, then i get them to send it to a place i know we will be in, in approximately a week's time. We just top up our account to ensure we have enough money for the mail to be delivered to where we want. This premium service will also scan in whole letters or accounts and email them to us at our request,m if need be. We are very happy with it so far, but have to admit that we have had mail (and parcels) sent to larger towns, ie Broome, Kununurra, Katherine and Darwin so not sure how it would go in smaller towns-it is after all, Australia Post:) We use ebay and online shopping a bit too, but just have to ensure that the seller will deliver to a PO Box and all okay. Hope you have a ball, we certainly are. Cheers, Michelle
AnswerID: 426100

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 22:22

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 22:22
Hi Shane, If you do a search, there have been recent posts about mail direction companies.

We have not used them, as we prefer family to check our mailbox and monitor our mail. Our daughter collects the mail and checks it. She emails me a list of bills to pay each month for which i then set up payments by due date. As we have not been out of internet range for longer than three and a half weeks, we have paid most on time. If a bill arrives late, she telephones them and explains we are out of reach and will pay soon after we get back to civilisation. She scans and emails anything we may really need to see and respond to. As we don't travel with a printer, i type a reply and email back to her to print, sign and send on our behalf. If a document needs to be signed, we can go to a public access computer and print the document. If that lucky Lotto cheque turned up - she could pay it straight into our bank and we could keep on holidaying.

When we get home, there are boxes of mostly irrelevant mail - none of which we have needed to pick up from a pre-arranged post office, thus curtailing travel freedom. Then again, not everyone has someone on hand to do this for them.

Where possible, we have opted for e-business. Very little of importance comes in our mail.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 426120

Follow Up By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 00:16

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 00:16
have to second that, the only safe/reliable mail is e-mail ....
After living in the bush for a "long" time and moving a lot we have just about everything set up for "electronic" notifications and all bills are e-mailed to us and most is direct debit, we purchase on-line, pay all bills by B-Pay or direct deposit and advise everyone we deal with that e-mail is the first point of any contact with us and only if absolutely needed post it to us, even then we prefer to get them to scan it and e-mail to us.......
FollowupID: 696697

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 08:08

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 08:08
Shane,
I was travelling for over 11 yrs, in what started as a 12 month lap, I went to a local privately owned Post Office, talked to the owner/manager and organised a PO Box there, conditional that he would send me my mail once a month to any Post Office I nominated.

I've never had a problem in all that time, I still use it today, 14 yrs later.

All insurances and usual monthly accounts are direct debited.
Hope that gives you something different to consider

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 426132

Sponsored Links