resealing caravan windows

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 16:28
ThreadID: 80511 Views:12675 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
g'day all
whats the best
1..the foam sticky back tape?
2..tube sealer,if so would plumbers silcone do the job?
the frame is alluminium so the window will screw down nice & tight.
thanks in advance.
cheers
toohey.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 17:01

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 17:01
There are divided opinions on the best sealant. A lot of the older repairers recommend the old Mastic type sealants whereas there is a group of people who now support the Silicone type sealants.

The only one I've ever used is the Mastic type as the old van windows were already sealed with it. Pulled the window out, cleaned up as much as I could of the old sealant then put a good solid bead of new sealant and as you say screwed it down tight.

Having said that, my new van has silicone sealant around all the windows so I'd probably use that if I had to reseal them.
AnswerID: 426181

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 18:38

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 18:38
Hi toohey.

I guess it depends on what was originally used as you may wish to keep it the same.

My only experience is with mastic sealant. I have a Roadstar and when resealing it I contacted them and they supplied me with Mastic which was in a length about 20mm diameter. It had a light plasicky wrapping over it which was removed before use. This was the same stuff they use during manufacture.

Anyway the windows come out easy after removing the screws, just pry them around the edges using a carpenters chisel. Once out the old mastic can be removed easily and cleaned up with turps.

The mastic strip is then positioned around the window, replaced in position and the screws replaced.

I have another window to do myself and I will be doing it this way. I will have to find another place to buy the mastic though because I believe Roadstar went out of business.

Silastic type sealants would make it very difficult to remove the window again if ever necessary and other types of more free running sealants would be very messy to work with.

Have fun, Regards Cruiser.
AnswerID: 426188

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:04

Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:04
Roadstar are now back in business under the same name but owned by the chassis manufacturer.

FollowupID: 697596

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 19:56

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 19:56
My 1988 Windsor was sealed with such an unsuitable product it couldn't wait to part company with the van. In summer you'd just watch the stuff ooze out and down the side of the panels. Ended up removing all the windows, aluminium strips, big clean up and then resealed the lot with a really flexible silicone product. No chance of any water leaks but would not like to have to remove any windows if one got broken etc given this stuff has a good purchase on the two faces it's sealing. The stuff I used was purchased from a caravan repair centre so thought it'd be ok and it has been for the several since being done. Cheers.
AnswerID: 426197

Reply By: Paul G K (vic) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 20:15

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 20:15
Toohey
The best thing to use is sicaflex it is an industrial sealer and adhesive(used in the construction of fibreglass refrigeration semi-trailer) it is a bit expensive . If you use it you will never have to do the job again. I would not use silicon as from my experience it went mouldy while my van was in storage
AnswerID: 426202

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:07

Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:07
I would 2nd 3rd and 4th SIKAFLEX if you cant get the strip of putty like stuff.

After being a roofer for several years we found the wherever there is movement or flexing silicone ALWAYS eventually pulled off one surface or the other.

Sikaflex sealant remains pliant and moves with the parts and doesnt leak.

FollowupID: 697597

Reply By: paulnsw - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:03

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:03
Roadstar are definitely in business http://www.roadstar.com.au. We have a new Roadstar on order.
Attention to detail, quality of chassis made new Roadstar easy choice.

I would seal the windows with mastic tape. Never leak and still easy to remove if necessary. Our last van had foam tape and leaked. Caravan repairer says foam tape always leaks and is crook and only uses mastic tape.
AnswerID: 426237

Reply By: hazo - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 13:31

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 13:31
I resealed all the windows and door frame in a older Jayco, as I had many and some persistant leaks.

I used the "gun grade" mastic (recommended by Camec) and never had another leak while we owned it. It is fairly cheap, cleans with turps and is constantly flexible during its life.
Its a little messy to apply and get a good finish but as said it cleans up easily.

Problem with silicones and acrylic type glues is once in its virtually permanent and if for any reason, it has to come out, not just a leak but maybe an accident and some panelling needs replacing, it would then be a nightmare and add considerable cost to any future repairs.

Sikaflex is an excellent "glue" but not ideal for windows IMO.
AnswerID: 426253

Sponsored Links