Birdsville Track & camper Trailer

Hi all, My mate next door,and his brother are thinking about travelling to Birdsville for the races. He wants to know is it OK to tow his Jayco Outback Swan on the track...Marree to Birdsville. Are there heaps of sand dunes & is it the done thing? He doesn't want to upset anyone by towing his camper and people accuse him of destroying the track. Your view would be welcome. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malleerv - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 20:05

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 20:05
As far as I know there are no sand dunes on the Birdsville track. I have only been as far as Mungerannie and the road was good clay/gravel/sand. Could easily drive a car up to the Cooper Creek crossing.
They will have to cross the Cooper Creek and I suspect their vehicle and van will be too long to fit on the ferry. If the bloke with the truck is still operating then for a small fee he will take the van over on the tray of his truck. Call Phil at the Mungerannie Roadhouse/Pub for details on the truck operation.

It's a great trip with all the water up there at the moment.

Cheers Matt
AnswerID: 426199

Reply By:- Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 21:41

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 21:41
G'day,

Apart from the Ferry crossing you will have no problem towing your camper. We did it recently and saw normal on road caravans being towed. As per usual drive to the conditions and you will be fine.

Cheers
Ev
AnswerID: 426214

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 22:21

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 22:21
Clear your mind of Tom Cruise battling the Birdsville track in his mail truck. It is now mostly a 4 lane dirt freeway passable in a 2wd. The exception to this is after rain (now) when standing water leaves a few boggy rutted sections. Stone damage in places is the main concern for those towing so although the Swan is quite suitable for the trip he may need to protect vunerable wiring & plumbing as well as consider a cover for the back window of the tow vehicle.
A complication for this year is the Cooper creek is flooded requiring a crossing on a temperary ferry. Two problems with that are there is not enough room to put it on the ferry behind his car so will need to pay $50 extra to have it loaded on a truck seperately & taken over. The second is around the time of the races so many people will be heading up that way,the wait to get the car & camper over on the ferry could be up to 1 or 2 days. My suggestion is to arrive early & enjoy the flood waters of the Cooper while in the queue. I'd expect many will be considering the loop around via Innamincka & Cordillo to avoid missing the races.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 426217

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 23:37

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 23:37
I did the track 2 weeks ago and a bloke with a vw Tiguan and trailer was having no trouble. He reckoned he was bang on 7.8 metres which is the max that the ferry will take but they knocked him back. He paid the 50 bucks for the trailer to go over on the back of the truck and didn't bother arguing. As others have said, you have to make sure the truck is still there. Mike
AnswerID: 426224

Reply By: Member - Paul P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 06:53

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 06:53
just keep an eye on the rules for the ferry. Last update here SA Road Conditions

Special Notices

* UNSEALED ROADS
* Farina to Mulgaria - 4WD only due to rain damage
* Flinders Ranges area - caution at all creek crossings due to flood damage
* Birdsville Inside Track (Alton Downs Station access) - Closed due to flooding of Goyders Lagoon until at least mid August 2010. Note: this is not the main Birdsville Track
* COOPER CREEK FERRY INFORMATION
* Signs displaying condition of use of the ferry are installed at Marree, Birdsville, Mungeranie and at the ferry crossing.
* Conditions of use of the ferry:
* Maximum load for vehicles - 10t gross
* Maximum load for cattle on hoof - 8t gross
* Maximum length of vehicles is 7.8m - Trailers are permitted providing the total length of towing vehicle and trailer does not exceed 7.8m
* CARAVANS ARE NOT PERMITTED
* TRAILERS CANNOT BE TRANSPORTED SEPARATE TO TOWING VEHICLE
* TRAILERS MUST REMAIN HITCHED TO TOWING VEHICLE WHILST ON FERRY
* THE USE OF A QUAD BIKE TO LOAD / UNLOAD TRAILERS IS NOT ALLOWED
* Persons use the ferry at own risk
* No more than 6 passengers permitted on ferry at the one time
* No persons permitted in vehicles during crossing
* Lifejackets must be worn
* The ferry will operate during daylight hours only 7 days per week weather permitting
* The ferry WILL NOT operate if the Birdsville Track from Marree to Mungeranie is CLOSED
* All persons must follow instructions and conditions in loading as directed by the ferry operator.
* Further ferry information is available at www.sa.gov.au/ferryservices
AnswerID: 426231

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 13:38

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 13:38
Hi Paul & others, Thanks for the replies & I got my friend to phone the Pub at Mungeranie & he spoke to Pam. She said the quad bike has been banned but the use of the truck to carry your trailer on the ferry is still happening for $50 a trip. Thanks again for all the info. Monty.
FollowupID: 696818

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 19:11

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 19:11
that's great news Monty!
FollowupID: 696847

Follow Up By: Teraa - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:33

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:33
Yeah the truck is still a go for trailers and legal.
But the road is crap and the road crew was running out of fuel Mungi side
Theres been so much rain now just a little bit and it's terrible mess the road crew been trying fix things but the road is beyond is some places needs more than a grade, I hope things get better before the races cause I want to go too
FollowupID: 696967

Sponsored Links