Feral cat eredication - how?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 13:52
ThreadID: 8054 Views:5900 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I missed the recent posting about cats that appears to have caused so much excitement. I don't know what was in there or in the replies and followups - they may well have answered this question. I was wondering whether there are any legal means that one could use during travels that will help reduce the feral cat population. If there was and all travellers used it, imagine the effect on the numbers of those native wildlife destroyers. Wouldn't it be fantastic if there was say a poison that one could leave at all bush campsites that only killed off the feral cats. I am not aware of any such medicine but I would be interested to hear from anyone that does. I believe that feral cats are attracted to recently disturbed soil so perhaps a bait could be buried as this may prevent other native critters from getting at it. I wonder whether there's any research being done on ways to control feral cats - I know there is for cane toads but I imagine that the cats are a bigger menance to our wildlife than toads.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Red - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 14:26

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 14:26
According to the book 'Elsewhere Fine', back in the late 1800's the WA government of the day was shipping and releasing cats into the wild rabbit control.
AnswerID: 34977

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 15:47

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 15:47
Bring back the Pussy Willow near William Creek.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMKNext trip please..............................................
AnswerID: 34988

Follow Up By: ramp - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:46

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:46
hi paul , yeah great tree but not full enough
FollowupID: 25296

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:22

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:22
Moose
1080 is the most prefured way in wa to kill feral cats ,as it has little effect on native wild life the problem withits use for cats is that they like to catch or eat fresh meat thus making baiting hard, the otherproblem is that you can not just eradicate a preditor as such it has to be done in such away that no other spiecies is able to dominate the local enviroment to the detriment of all others,so iradication in some cases has to be done along side the reintriduction of native spiecies ie preditor species so as to maintian the balance . i would if you are interested in helping in this arer ,talk to the land manager in your state
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 34993

Reply By: koh - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:51

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:51
I’m going to regret getting involved in a subject like this I can see but here are a few pointers. We have had and will again have cat problems on the farm and surrounding reserves, we get rid of them when there is a noticeable difference in numbers and or wild life are being affected, which is not always the case, some of our little fury natives get cunning and manage ovoid confrontations with the non natives be it cats / dogs. We doing it quickly, to our ability humanely and discreetly, minimizing stress to animal/environment/public. I say the public as well because it’s distressing for children etc to witness the expiring of an animal regardless of what it is. The use of poisons is in my opinion only an option for the extreme cases
My father mainly and a couple of time myself have used them years ago for rabbits etc and really no animal deserves to die that way. It’s an unkindly end to an unfortunate situation. Some times there’s real bleep ty jobs to do but we still have to have a heart. Also poisons in the hands of too many people is not a safe way of doing things, we have a poison registrar and have to follow it strictly to minimize or hopefully prevent mishaps. Education of the public and ownership might not be as effective but would be my preferred option.

All the best

Bill
AnswerID: 34999

Reply By: Surf - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:13

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:13
CALM in Western Australia has put in considerable research into this area as part of Operation Western Shield. Cats are extremely intellegent creatures that are not easliy fooled by a 1080 bait thrown at random from an aeroplane or vehicle as these baits are generally dried meat which they find generally unpalatable.

In areas were concentrated baiting has occured (Peronbleepular), fox numbers have decreased, but cat numbers have increased significantly in their absence and their cunning nature has made eradication using conventional methods almost pointless and extremely costly.

Travellers assisting in the eradication sounds like a good idea in principle, but the idea of leaving baits etc around old camp sites could be a recipe for disaster of another kind.

I think its an unfortunate fact that only a small proportion of cats actually living in the wild are ever seen by man, or make thenselves obvious, so the idea of complete eradication is probably never going to occur.

Just like rabbits, I think we will have to learn to live with them, and learning to limit their numbers is probably the best we can hope for.

I did hear a few months ago that CALM were trialling a new type of bait at Peron, but have not heard sure how successful it is.

Of just as much concern is the deliberate introduction of foxes into Tasmania by misguided individuals who amongst other things apparently hoped it would see an easing of firearms restrictions.
AnswerID: 35002

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 22:07

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 22:07
Release feral dogs, they will eat the cats...
no problem..
AnswerID: 35036

Reply By: Slammin - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 00:17

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 00:17
I have heard about the WA CALM project and they were using a very specific salami as cats are v.fussy.
It's interesting to note that feral cats have been around Western Aust for a lot longer than penal settlement.
The first feral cats were from the Dutch on the West coast and they are a greyish short haired moggy which are fairly common here in the Western Deserts long b4 these areas were entered by Europeans. So much so that the Luritja/Pintubi name for them is Ngaya. They are hunted traditionally by the elder women who track and then chase for about 1-2k's b4 cornering them. Good bush medicine and of course eating.
Also there was an ABC? doco on feral cats that was very well done.
As for what can we do, well run em over if you get a chance, or if the landscape permits chase them for a bit as they tire very easily.
AnswerID: 35042

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:47

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:47
Im doing my bit by fitting wider tyres to my rig but now i need a turbo as they always get away before i swerve?
maybe a scoop with spikes on the front?
TIC1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 35059

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 13:11

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 13:11
Pitch fork heads... they hold more pedistrains too
FollowupID: 25354

Reply By: Blackie - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 13:50

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 13:50
And I was about to comment on how senisble this thread was being dealt with.
I think I'll go and give myself a good licking, have a bowl of whiskers and go back to bed.
AnswerID: 35073

Follow Up By: floyd - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 17:28

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 17:28
What a pussy
FollowupID: 25495

Follow Up By: Mick - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:07

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:07
Pussies are useful, cats are not!
A good cat is a dead cat!
FollowupID: 25555

Sponsored Links