Bombing Range South of Cape Range NP

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 15:58
ThreadID: 80574 Views:2834 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
For the past 20+ years we have been camping in the "Bombing Range" (Bunderra Coastal Area) which is sound of Cape Range NP and north of the Ningaloo Station. Prior to that we were at Lerroy Bay

The land is owned by the Deptment of Defence and I think was last used for bombing in the early 1990s. In recent years there have been murmurings about it being closed off but we could find nothing concrete about the threats - we did phone Learmonth Air Base to check but were told all was OK.
HOWEVER on our annual pilgrimage north we were confronted with large signs saying No Camping. The word about was "they" were sending in police to issues summons for anyone camping in the area.

We ended up back at Ningaloo Station and were kindly accommodated by Phil and Jane but it wasn't the same.

Does anyone know who is responsible to shutting this area down and what the future holds. I would be happy to see camping in the area a little more controlled but not completely forbidden.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser .- Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:28

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:28
Ali L

Why would you want to camp on a bombing range, used or unused, there will be unexploded ordinance everywhere.

Cruiser

AnswerID: 426560

Follow Up By: Ali L - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 14:12

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 14:12
Why because its a stunning and remote area and No there is no problems with ordnance. The change to camping regulations means that more than 20km of coastline is now off limits and the people that frequented the Bunderra Coastal strip (The Bombing Range) are now cramming into other areas
FollowupID: 697167

Follow Up By: Cruiser .- Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 15:12

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 15:12
Ali,

I know its tunning and remote. I was in RAAF for 20 yrs and was involved in exercises there at Learmonth on a number of occassions, BUT, there is no way I would enter an unused bombing area.

Believe me when I say, I have seen bombing areas up close and I dont care whether its being used or is unused, there is no way they will have cleared out ALL the unexploded ordinance from there and I am afraid I like to keep my balls attached to the rest of my body.

Its your choice and all I will say is, enjoy it.

Cheers,

Cruiser

FollowupID: 697173

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:25

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:25
Ali
If this is defence land then it can be closed at any time. One example is the top end of Stockton Beach near Newcastle. It was a bombing range and open to the public for years after bombing stopped. Signs went up all around it in about 1971 and overnight it became an RAAF base for about two years while an attempt was made to clear it. Air Force personnel lived on it 24/7 and nobody was allowed on it. The Govt. may intend clearing this range or they may want it for a variety of military related reasons but whatever it is they can and will close it if they want to and they may not give the exact reason.
AnswerID: 426666

Reply By: Gotlost - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 23:27

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 23:27
The reason the place is being closed for camping along the coastal strip is the fact that so many campers do not clean up there rubbish, the Department of Defence is not a CLEAN UP AFTER CAMPERS Organisation.

Trust me i know that whole coastal strip area well and some campers have ruined it for others, same old story Ali, in particular a well site that we had cleaned out that was absolutely full of garbage, thats an example of wot some campers will do, its so bloody easy to take rubbish out but the minority will not do it.

I could go on with so many example of laziness that i would fill this page.

Cheers
Mark

AnswerID: 426702

Follow Up By: wafarmer - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 03:53

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 03:53
Sorry I don't buy that it is a lame excuse trotted out by the powers that are slowly taking control of the coastal strip from north to south to cash in on the mighty dollar that they see by setting up their so called ECO camps and charging amazing prices for bugger all.

Quite often when you look behind these ECO setups you find a badly managed disaster with rubbish and crap disposed of no better than the so called ilegal camps.

That is not to say that there are not a lot of filthy dirty pigs traveling around making it easy for the ECO bureaucrats to use them as the reason they need to shut a lot of areas down and control the areas for their own gain.

A lot of the country taken out of circulation ends up overrun with feral animals and weeds.

It reminds me of the time I asked what are you feeding the fish after being told that we must not feed them with fish scraps as it was bad for them, she replied it is a special formula we make up?????????? yea and what did the fish do before you got here???

cheers

wafarmer
FollowupID: 697426

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 07:48

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 07:48
Have worked and camped in that area for the last 9 years, it has nothing to do with the area being given to whoever to cash in on the mighty dollar, that particular strip of land belongs to the Department of Defence, has nothing to do with DEC or any other State Governtment organisation, if u ask me it is managed better than Cape Range National Park which is just to the north.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 697430

Follow Up By: wafarmer - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:55

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:55
Hi Mark,

I am quite sure that is true at the moment and did not mean criticize DoD I am sure they look after their lands to the best of their ability.

However that does not change the fact that there is an emerging pattern of land resumption in this country that follows that which I have alluded to.

cheers

wafarmer
FollowupID: 697439

Sponsored Links