Matching Vehicle & Camper Trailer Wheels

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:09
ThreadID: 80584 Views:6643 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I’m interested to hear views on matching tow vehicle wheels to those on a camper trailer.

A first pass tends to suggest it is a good idea, and I have done thi s previously with a Kimberley Kamper we owned, but I pose the questions…

Is it essential, or

A nice to have if you can, but not a necessity??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, The Landy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:18

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:18
One good point would not having to carry different size spare wheels. One size fits every wheel in setup.
AnswerID: 426557

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:27

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:27
Essential no, particually with the improved roads & quality of tyres available these days.
Where it becomes a good option is when travelling in more remote areas it can save you the weight of that extra spare.
What I've done on mine is ensure the trailer & car tyre sizes matched even though the rims dont. That way in the unlikely occurance of destroying two tyres beyond repair on the car for example I can always pop one off the trailer rim & swap it over.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 426559

Follow Up By: The Landy - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:31

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 22:31
I'm thinking along the same lines......

Thanks
FollowupID: 697122

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:40

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:40
Same here too Craig, the trailer wheels or at least the OD of the tyres match. Gives me more spares should I have a particular problem.
FollowupID: 697133

Reply By: Member - John C (INT) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:12

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:12
I think it is a good idea. I have all wheels so that I can use any of the spares I carry the normal spare on the car one on the camper and one on the roof rack on a rim. some people I travel with just take a tyre only on the roof and fit to a rim if needed.
AnswerID: 426570

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:20

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:20
I guess I was pretty fortunate because I was able to match my car and trailer wheels exactly. I have 8 OE Nissan wheels. I got mine when GU's were coming out of the factory with steel wheels but Nissan was offering the mags as a no cost extra. There were plenty of steel rims around and I got mine pretty cheap.

As Crackles says this has the advantage of one size fits all. I carry only the spare on the car and the spare on the trailer. I have never needed more. Of course if I do a trip without the trailer I can always take a wheel from the trailer as the second spare if I think it is necessary.

I run the same tyres on car and trailer. Generally, I buy tyres 2 at a time replacing the worst of the 8. The 4 best go on the car, the next best pair go on the trailer and the poorest become the spares. Because all 8 wheels match I don't have the problem of odd wheels on the car meaning I am free to rotate as described above at any time.

I have toyed with the idea of running an aggressive off road tyre on 4 of the wheels and a less aggressive tyre on the other 4. This would let me match the tyres on the car to the current use but I have never done it becuase I am happy with the allround performance of the tyres I am running on, and it hurt my brain too mutch working out the pros and cons.

Duncs

AnswerID: 426571

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:27

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:27
Thanks, if I order my Camper Trialer new I will go the way of matching wheels completely, however there is a demo model available that the wheel stud pattern doesn't match.

So if I go the way of the latter I will at least match the tyres.

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 697143

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:55

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:55
Landy, I am not sure if you were just thinking about tyres on a CT or van as well. But, if you had a choice to get matching wheels on you setup, it would be a no brainer in my opinion.

If you were thinking of a situation where you were in a van or a CT that didn't go too far off the major highways, perhaps it isn't quite so cut and dried.
There are lots of tyre dealers around nearer the major roads, so replacing a damaged tyre wouldn't be much of a problem.

If you tend to go more into the remote inland areas, tyre dealers are a bit thin on the ground, and when you find them, their range of sizes are limited to the popular sizes.
So, in that context, if you have common tyres on the tug and the trailer or van, and especially if it is in the 15 or 16 inch size, you are more likely to get a replacement if necessary.

It is pretty easy to have a flat tyre on the CT or van and not know about it until it is beyond repair. Especially a dual axle van. Even on the back of the tug there is a fair chance of that happening. Put up your hand if that's happened to you and you have done in a tyre. I have got my hand up!!

It's nice to have wheels that can be interchanged, it gives you more options.

Dave

'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 426575

Follow Up By: Polaris - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:32

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:32
There are lots of tyre dealers around nearer the major roads, so replacing a damaged tyre wouldn't be much of a problem.

If you tend to go more into the remote inland areas, tyre dealers are a bit thin on the ground, and when you find them, their range of sizes are limited to the popular sizes.

Pretty right there Dave.

We had a 4x4 F150 - fitted with 10 inch alloys with BFG 35x12.5x15 tyres. Buggered one at Lawn Hill so decided to divert from our intended route (via Borroloola and Roper Bar) to Mt Isa to get a replacement. We carried 2 spares because of the intended remote areas we planned to visit.
Well, on arrival in Mt Isa we found that there were none available - and would have to wait a week for one to come!
We were on our way to the Kimberley, so decided again to divert from Katherine to Darwin to get the extra spare. Believe it or not - none available in Darwin either!
We ended up buying 6 new 33x12.5x15 as these were in plentifull supply.
The original tyres had plenty of tread life left - but were aged.

Polaris
FollowupID: 697144

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 06:20

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 06:20
I have always matched wheels and tyres.
Gives much better flexability when buying new tyres and wearing out the 3/4 worn ones.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 426580

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:29

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:29
We get into the odd stituation and have long tried to make every post a winner , so we go out of way to make wheels interchangeable , if you do actually check that they fit after seeing a friend get rims of right size but not quite enough wheel offset to prevent rims touching cars front brake calipers.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 426585

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 09:59

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 09:59
G'day Landy, if your wheels are interchangeable you have in fact two spares
for your tug or two for the C/t. If the wheels are different you need to carry two
extra spare wheels to be on the same page..that is...no issue till the third puncture. To take this to the next degree...with matched wheels you are still able
to keep your tug mobile even if you stuff more than two tyres, but the C/t is
grounded. Perhaps the third stuffed tyre is unlikely, but it appears to me that the
simplest way to have two spares that fit either end is to match the wheels, &
you carry no more wheels than if they were different...if that makes sense...
The cost of a couple of hubs seems small to gain this advantage......oldbaz.

AnswerID: 426595

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 10:03

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 10:03
Gday,

Essential? No
Preferable? Yes

You can cut down on the spares you need to carry.
I will run the tyres on my trailer down a bit more than the car, so it gives you a stock of trailer tyres.
If you have to put a plug in a tyre I would prefer it to be on the trailer not a steerer. If they are all the same you can just swap the repaired tyre to the trailer once your done.

Lots of bonuses, but not essential I reckon.

Cheers
AnswerID: 426596

Reply By: whisky_mac - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 15:23

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 15:23
I have hear that you can get an engineering company or the llike to make up a plate that bolts to the studs on the C/T that has studs that match your car. I think Snake Racing do it but need to find out more.

I am about 10 monmths short of doing a big trip so still in the set up stage, sorting car and trailer.
AnswerID: 426620

Reply By: The Landy - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:59

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:59
Thanks to all who have contributed with your thoughts and ideas.

As it turns out we have purchased a CT second hand so the stud pattern does not match ‘The Landy’, however we will match the tyres…..

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 426647

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:39

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:39
It is actually no big deal to re drill the hubs for a different stud pattern.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 697246

Sponsored Links