Sunday History Photo / Au

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 07:36
ThreadID: 80586 Views:5300 Replies:13 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
The DC3 was the world’s most successful commercial aircraft with 10,928 examples being built. Australia's first DC-3 arrived in September 1937 for service with Australian National Airways, and was joined by a further 3 by the end of 1938.By December 1941 when the USA entered the war, 500 DC-3's had been built and a further 369 were on order.The C47 Military version had large cargo doors, strengthened metal floor and tie down points, Pratt and Whitney twin row 1830 engines, stronger landing gear and a glider towing cleat, and first flew in January 1942, with an eventual 9,500 being built. C47/Dakota's served in every allied air force, including the RAAF, which operated 124 lend-lease Dakota's (C47's) under its "A65-" number series and recently retired its last examples after 60 years of service.Many C47's were converted back to "DC-3" passenger airliners following world war two, with former USAAC and RAAF aircraft entering Australian domestic airline service with ANA and TAA, following re-fittment with seats and passenger doors.Over 200 different civil registrations were carried by DC-3 aircraft serving with more than 40 operators in Australia post war, with 41 being operated by Ansett-ANA, over 30 flying with TAA, and 5 serving with Qantas. In July 1946, one was purchased by Australian National Airways, registered as VH-ANH and given the name “Tullana", and as part of their C47 conversion program, was changed from right to left hand passenger door . When ANA was taken over by Ansett in 1957 the aircraft remained with the company, flying with Ansett subsidiary, Airlines of New South Wales. In 1970 the aircraft was retired, having flown a total of 45,030 hours. On the 27th of August 1972 VH-ANH made it’s last flight to Moorabbin Airport to join the Museum collection, initially being leased to the Museum for $1.00. The DC3 has since been donated to the Museum.
Image Could Not Be Found
Engines: (DC3) 2x 1100HP Wright GR-1820-85 Cyclones (C-47) 2x 1200HP Pratt & Whitney R1830-92 Twin Wasps as is the one at Coomalie Airstrip today. The DC-3 in my photo’s is owned by John Hardy Aviation in Darwin. If any members are in the region get yourselves to Coomalie today and check it out, I can remember many years ago we all seen these planes but only at a distance, At Coomalie Airstrip you watch it land and take-off right up close on the edge of the airstrip, feel the wind and smell the fumes.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
The photo of the Piper landing was a surprise for me when I got home and loaded the photo's to the PC , I didn't realise I had it right above the DC-3 , the photo is one of a series of constant photo's taken by my Nikon D-60.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 07:49

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 07:49
Hi Doug,

Did you have a sleep in this morning?

I have been waiting since 5.30am to read your Sunday History page. I was relieved to see it come up as I don't like missing this weekly highlight.

Another good read.

Where do you get your ideas/information from.

Patrick

AnswerID: 426582

Reply By: PradoMad - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:21

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:21
Always like to read it, please keep it up.
JS.
AnswerID: 426583

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:30

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:30
Ah yes Doug, in 1954 I was flying weekly between Adelaide and Woomera in a Dakota, and sometimes a Bristol Freighter both operated by the RAAF. The Dakotas
were military rigged with bench webbing seats along each side, not the most comfortable but they seemed to handle the inevitable air turbulence better than the Bristols.

Ah, those were the days.

Thanks again Doug. Cheers mate.
Allan

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 426586

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 09:00

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 09:00
Hey Doug,
They are still being used in Canada and Antarctica. Here is one set up with Basler Radar at McMurdo Station Antarctica. She has had many refits and upgrades though her bones are the same.

Cheers

" href="https://
" target="_blank">Inside with Basler equipment

" target="_blank">new controls

" target="_blank">On skis on ice
AnswerID: 426588