suspension

Submitted: Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:00
ThreadID: 8059 Views:1320 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've looked thru the posts & am more confused than ever.
I have read some shocks don't have much travel for the quick IFS set up. Can anyone suggest a good shock for IFS. Also is it better to change the torsion bar to a heavy duty one to help with a better ride with the shocks.

Cheers

Jackablue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Billy - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:40

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:40
Jack,

Go for a good quality gas shock with IFS, Bilstein if you can afford them. On the bars, you should not need to change them so long as your load is not overly heavy and you can wind them up a bit using the cam nut under the floor about mid-ships tgo get some lift and compensate for any sag, which they do. The issue is not so much travel with IFS but ability to handle higher frequency of movement you get with the lower unsprung weight of this configuration vs live axle.

Regds

BillAll aboard!
AnswerID: 35003

Follow Up By: Nigel (WA) - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 18:12

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 18:12
Hi all

I agree with Bill about "On the bars, you should not need to change them so long as your load is not overly heavy and you can wind them up a bit using the cam nut under the floor about mid-ships tgo get some lift and compensate for any sag, which they do." but the max lift you can do is 40mm any higher and you will damage your cv's and have steering problems. I have seen this happen on my mum and dad's Landcrusier 100 series. I think i would replace and put a heavy duty to be on a safe side, thinking about it.

As for the shocks alot of people have different views as you can see in in post 7898, basically you have to go what think is right and what you can afford at the time.4x4 is my heart, pain and pleasure, but most of all just a dream for the meantime.
FollowupID: 25301

Follow Up By: Billy - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:02

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:02
Nigel,

You prompted me to go and have a look at #7898, no wonder Jack is confused!. You are right about the restriction on lift with the T Bars in the Jack. Actually I think even 40mm woiuld be stretching it and it would probably be up against the upper bump stops. I only lifted mine about an inch. Don't forget, going Heavy Duty will not do anything for your travel.

Contrary to what is in one of the previous posts, most Koni's in 4WD applications are neither gas or monotube and I've found them excellent on any live axle. I've used Bilstien extensively on IFS with good results. Tried some Monroe Gas Magnums too which handled well on the road but faded quickly on corrogations. I've had no experience with Foam Cell of which Tough Dog seem to be the major exponent but "have heard" they are a little hard. The Jack is pretty stiff up front anyway and it may be a little harsh with these?

Regds

BillAll aboard!
FollowupID: 25340

Follow Up By: Nigel (WA) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:56

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:56
Hi all again hehehe

Yeah 40mm is the max you go without affecting the cv's and steering, is what we was told to my parents by a ARB Mechanic and so they did it is been about 1 and half years now since they have had it done and nothing has gone wrong so far. Parents think it goes places where rigid axle 4x4's go without any problems and they still get the comfortable on-road stability

4x4 is my heart, pain and pleasure, but most of all just a dream for the meantime.
FollowupID: 25347

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 07:41

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 07:41
Jacka
Recently put Rancho RS5000 on my jack front and back, seems to go ok. I was advised to get a foam cell shock because the torsion bars give the shocks a really hard time and the cells would live up to it better then gas?
Had the torsion bars wound up also, about 40mm, makes a lot of difference.
Tim
AnswerID: 35046

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:25

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:25
"I was advised to get a foam cell shock because the torsion bars give the shocks a really hard time and the cells would live up to it better then gas? "

From a shocker designer that spoke at our club. Apparently when foam cell shocks overheat the foam cell deteriorates. Even when the shock cools down it has done irreversible damage to the foam. With gas when the shock cools down it will perform exactly the same as there is nothing in the shock to deteriorate.
This is why you see many people that go outback with Rancho's have them fail on them.

Leroy
FollowupID: 25460

Reply By: jackablue - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:38

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:38
Thanks everyone, I am looking at lifting it but was concerned on which shock was better suited. I know the restrictions on the amount of lift but I dont want to lose too much articulation in the front. I thought I had read something about the original torsion bar being wound too tight to give much movement & that a heavier bar could be wound up & give move travel?.

Thanks everyone

Jackablue
AnswerID: 35208

Reply By: Sharyn - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 14:05

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 14:05
I spent heaps of time researching shocks too for my Hilux with IFS. Have friends with Toughdogs and Koni. The Koni seem to be the best. After contacting toperformance in Melbourne, they directed me to purchase through Autobarn. I got a great deal and they are only a little more expensive than the Toughdogs anyway! I have ordered Koni and can let you know how they go.
AnswerID: 35574

Sponsored Links