Dirty exhaust after engine rebuild and injector service.

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 07:50
ThreadID: 8087 Views:2920 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'll try to keep this short. Vehicle is 80 series GXL Landcruiser 1HZ engine (no turbo). I purchased in Dec 2002 and during a injector service (looking for reason for black exhaust and bad fuel consumption) dicovered that 4 out of 6 cylinders had low compression. After complaints to the dealer and MTA the dealer rebuilt the engine (actually another block he had, mine was stuffed). New pistons, bearings, new head etc etc.

The injectors had been serviced as mentioned above (new nozzels) and I paid to have the pump serviced for the new engine. So we have a fully serviced injector system and a new engine.

So why am I using 1.5 to 3 litres more fuel than other owners (of same vehicle) report (highway cycle not over 100kpm). And 3 - 4 litre more towing van. Exhaust runs dirt black/white particlarly when cold (for first 15 -20 mins) until engine reached full op. temp. It then sems to settle a bit but still some exhaust smoke.

Under any kind of load with the van on exhaust smoke is black and can be seen belching out in front of the van. Also using about 1.5 litre oil between changes. New engine has done just on 10,000k. Best fuel consumption without van is 12.5ltr/100 usually more and with van around 19.5ltr/100 (People I speak to say around 11/100 and 15-16/100 towing similar van.

Who shoulds I be talking to the Diesel Injector serice company or the Toyota Dealer the rebuilt the engine? Or both?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:10

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:10
I would.:

Go to the Injector bloke and ask for detils on the pump setting. I may even elude to the suggestion that Toyota are trying to blame the smoke on the Pump just to give him an incentive to give you the data. I would also tell him that I did not believe there was aproblem with the pump as the engine was also burning oil.

I would then go to the Toyota dealer and have a small dummy spit. Mention nothing about the pump data you have from the pump guy unless they tell you the pump is crook. This is when you ask them for their test data which you can compare with the pump guy's data. From this info you should have someone to point a bit of a finger at .

As for the high oil consumption just bitch like crazy and make sure you let toyota know that there is only one problem and that is that the engine does,t perform as it should. They will try to seperate the issues.

Hope the above confusion helps.
AnswerID: 35129

Follow Up By: Flesh - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:56

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:56
Thanks Brett, I'll be speaking with them today and will see if I can get that info.
FollowupID: 25436

Reply By: Member - Karl - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:54

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:54
Black smoke usually means unburnt fuel in a diesel - therefor I would think that it might have something to do with the injectors. As for the oil I think that would be to do with the engine. You might find that you have two separate problems as a result of the engine rebuild.

Remember the Dealer would have done it the cheapest possible way and you might find that whoever did the injectors might have been told to do it as cheap as possible as well to keep down the cost. If you are not sure find a good diesel mechanic in your area and have them inspect it and see what they have to say. If there is a problem then confront both the dealer and whoever did the injectors.

With my 91 Series 80 with aftermarket turbo I am getting about 14l per 100km around town and about 11l per 100km highway. Towing my off road trailer that goes up about 3l per 100km.

Hope this helps.Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - just make sure that yours is correct.
AnswerID: 35142

Follow Up By: Flesh - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:51

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:51
Thanks Karl, the injectors where done at my cost prior to the engine rebuild. It was when they were done that we discovered the low compressions. My suspicious nature makes me think 1 of 2 things. A) The Injectors were not serviced properly in the first place (this engine is stuffed so why do a good job attatude by the diesel shop) or B) the injectors in the engine now are not the ones serviced (you know swapped by the mechanic doing engine work for his old ones - he has 80 1HZ)
FollowupID: 25435

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 13:41

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 13:41
Gday
Presuming all the work was done professionally...
I would be putting it back in the lap of Toyota. It could be alot of things, pump timing one possibility, considering you are getting white smoke (or unburnt fuel).
Another would be wrong installation of injecters in new head, causing failure of injecter (if a new head was installed.
As stated b4, dealer would have done the work to the minimum cost to them, and if it was the bottom end gone, the top end would have stayed untouched, just a headgasket. Did Toyota fit the reco pump?
Might be worth getting a diesel shop to do an evaluation of compression/leakdown test/pump and valve timing check and present the findings to Toyota b4 warrenty is finished.
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 35145

Follow Up By: Flesh - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:12

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:12
Hi Dozer, thanx for your reply. This is what was done. As my engine and head were totally stuffed (pitted through out) they used a 1 HZ block that had been replaced under warranty some years earlier after just 17000klm. Apparently the dealer had fitted a after market turbo onto it for the owner and it melted no 5 piston so they were responsible.

Bore and sleeve no 5 and fit 6 new 20 thou oversize pistons, new big end and main bearings, new cylinder head, timming belt hoses etc, clean radator. All genuine parts I assume.

Pump was reco at my expense as were injectors (injectors done prior to engine rebuild) Toyota fitted reco pump but I had the diesel shop check their timming.
FollowupID: 25437

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:42

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:42
Ok
Firstly, ring the pump reconditioner and give them the scenario,
Ask them to check and see if they set the pump up to suit a 1hz.
If that turns out ok, ask them if they would know what might have gone wrong with the rebuild to get white smoke till warm and black all the time.
The oil usage is apparently common amongst rebored diesel cruisers, however, you are using fuel to fast which points to overfueling or bad injecters, or bad precombustion chambers in the head. etc etc etc
If all else fails, dob yourself in to the epa for smoking too long...
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 25448

Sponsored Links