4wd Show and Camper Trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 15:23
ThreadID: 8092 Views:2287 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Went to the 4wd show Saturday was pretty average. We went to look at the camper trailers, so it was alright for us. Anyone going to have alook generally would have been pretty dissapointed. I agree with Truckster a fair bit of stuff not really related to 4wd or to fishing/ outdoors.
We looked at the campers and were really impressed with the Trac Shak and Halls. Has any one got these campers , what are your thoughts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 17:40

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 17:40
I actually didnt mind the show , got afew specials on fishing gear , and a couple of bargand in minor recovery gear.

Sorry but please educate me , what was missing ???Venus Bay
AnswerID: 35161

Reply By: Andrew - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:19

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:19
The show was pretty good for campers I thought. The thing that I would have really liked was the long range tank for the 100s Landcruiser that held 30 litres of water and 120 litres of fuel. I already have the 170 litre long range tank and I think that it is not worth upgrading. We are in the market for a camper anyway.

We got a little confused with all the campers. Liked the Ultimate but really would suit a couple with no kids and we have three of the little beauties - 10, 5 and 3 - so they will be with us for a while. Don't want to have to put up a separate tent for those guys after the camper.

The Trakshak looks good but it is pretty pricey with all the goodies. The bedding looked fine apart from having the kids in a bed right next to you. Sleeps four easily but I guess our fifth goes underneath. When the kids are off our hands, or in a tent, I guess that the other double bed could hold our clothes - or at that age we might be ready for separate beds. LOL.

Halls camper also was good but thought that the storage was not terrific.

We liked the O'Briens deluxe the most because it had two big drawers, the living area could be extended to allow the kids to sleep there. There were four drawers under the bed that they could make deeper if we wished. Everything was customisable as far as I could tell when talking to them. Would like a boat rack where I didnt have to remove the boat when setting up. And they are local. Would like to see a Camprite in Melbourne as have heard good things about them but have never seen one.

Andrew
AnswerID: 35171

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:36

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:36
O'Briens are very good value .... but beware of the drawbar weight!
Even with the gigantic toolbox empty, on the Sturt, I could barely lift it!
FollowupID: 25403

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 21:15

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 21:15
Shaker, why do you reckon that it was so heavy upfront. Are they like that unloaded too or do you reckon that it was to do with what you were carrying or the way that it was loaded??? (or could it be that you are a two foot midget??) Andrew
FollowupID: 25415

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:01

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:01
What's the problem in having the kids next to you after all you are in a tent you know. We have a Trak shak and thier are 8 of us. 2 Adults six kids and the Trak shak is fantastic. If you ever camp when it rains then you will appreciate the size when you are cooped up in it plus it is up as quick as a two man tent or even a tourer tent.

They are only as expensive as the bits you want to hang on them. If you don't need the boat rack, solar panels etc. then don't get one with them.

As far as suspension goes I have never had a problem with the leaf springs on mine even afte several kilometres on corrogations so you don't need the expense of coils.We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 25420

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:33

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:33
Do you have Marcia and Greg in the bed next to you... LOL. I am a bit of a reader and thought that I might disturb them at night when I lay in bed having a read. They do look well built I must admit. I thought the kitchen was not particularly a strong point.
I reckon that you guys are fantastic going camping with 8 of you. How young are the youngest and how do they like it in the back of the car?
Andrew
FollowupID: 25423

Follow Up By: Member - Foxer - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 13:05

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 13:05
Thanks for the info guys
we thought the trailers at the show were good. Love the Track Shack and the Obriens was fairly good as you said heaps of storage, had'nt thougt about the storage in the Halls being a bit light on, with there trailers at 6 foot wide I reckon they would have plenty just fairly pricey.
Anyway thanks for your thoughts..
FollowupID: 25465

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 19:54

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 19:54
Andrew, I am not a 2 foot midget lol, I was looking at the trailers in the Outback Campers showroom. The trailer was unladen, in fact it was a brand new one packed up in the showroom, probably ready to go to the recent shows. When I could hardly lift it I thought that maybe the rear stands were down, but they weren't! I can't imagine what sort of drawbar weight they would have if that enormous toolbox was filled.
FollowupID: 25622

Reply By: Big Trev - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 13:52

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 13:52
If you are looking for something without all the fancy bits, check out the Southern Cross, no draws, kitchen is an option, big bed, big tent, stacks of storage under the tent. All for around $7,000 to $8,000

http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/campers.htm
AnswerID: 35240

Follow Up By: Member - Foxer - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:11

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:11
Big Trev
Had a look at a Southern Cross camper at Shepperton in a yard there. Was pretty well made and as you say pretty good value for money
FollowupID: 25507

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 06:52

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 06:52
I have recently purchased one through that agent in Shepparton.
FollowupID: 25541

Follow Up By: Member - Foxer - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:47

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:47
Big Trev
What model did you get and what $ ?
FollowupID: 25628

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:04

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:04
We purchased one identical to the one in the yard, only different colour. Also got the lift up system to make it easier to load, stone protector, and the awning. All up was real close to $8,000. We took the time to go to Melb and had a look at Southern Cross, no real benifit other than to see the campers in varying states of manufacture. We have owned a Southern Cross tent for about 10 years and are really happy with it, and that is what prompted us to the look at the camper. Can't give you any reports on how it performs as we haven't taken delivery yet.

Other than Southern Cross making the best tents, we liked the camper as it is basic, we decided we didn't need all the "options" of the $20,000 campers. We have been camping for years, and so we are really well set up, plus we tend to travel pretty light.
FollowupID: 25665

Reply By: david - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:14

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:14
We have a Cavalier delux off-road, 2 adults and 3 kids. Have taken it from Perth to Rockhampton thru central Oz, Gibb River road plus loads of smaller trips. Never given us any problems. They can make/change to your specs within reason.
Rgds
AnswerID: 35504

Sponsored Links