Draw Systems and Child Restraint for GU Patrol

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:13
ThreadID: 8100 Views:10156 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently bought a GU patrol and would like to start kitting it out. On the list is a set of drawers for the cargo area, but I am told that when the drawers a put in they use the existing child restraint points. Unfortunately we have an 8 month old and would expect to have another one in the near future so we will need to use child restraint points for a while yet. A friend of mine told me that they had seen restraint points put into the roof of a LandCruiser, but when I asked Nissan they said they could not do this. Has anyone solved the problem of putting drawers in while still requiring access to child restraint points, either addedd or the orginal? Would it be sensible to add a point on the false floor (top of drawers) or would this be too dangerous?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:51

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:51
Search the archives this has been done before.

Call he companies that make rear storage, they sell the kits
AnswerID: 35176

Reply By: Mickl - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:33

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:33
You can't just go fitting a new restraint anchor point, it needs to be installed by approved installer. This is considered a modification and the departmant of roads and transport (or whatever its called in your state) needs to be notified. You will be issued a certificate of modification and modification plate(with serial number) will be fitted under the bonnet (both by the installer) I have this on my Mazda Bravo as it had no factory fitted child restraint anchor points at all.
AnswerID: 35196

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:36

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:36
In Vic, they can come pre-inspected.. once installed thats it. we also dont get mod plates under the bonnet.
FollowupID: 25424

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:34

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:34
They don't even inspect them in Taz. I got RACT to put mine in (no draws) and they told me that I could have done it!!!!
Brian
FollowupID: 25454

Reply By: Hilly - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:35

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:35
You can buy restraint kits in many places. A metal plate or series of large washers below the false floor would be more than strong enough.

As an aside, I bought a set of drawers with a fridge slide. They were the same setup that I had in my 80 series, 4WD interior. Unfortunately the GU rear is shorter than the 80 series and my 60 litre Engel doesn't extend far enough on the slide in order to open up on the drivers side where the slide is. Keep it in mind if you already have a fridge.

Cheers,
Hilly
AnswerID: 35197

Follow Up By: Mickl - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 23:46

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 23:46
A metal plate or series of large washers below the false floor would be more than strong enough.

What the????.... this is gonna be illegal and I'm pretty sure gonna earn you a big fat defect sticker in all states....

If you can afford 4wd and it's associated costs you can afford an approved (ADR's/Australian Standards) anchor point. Get one installed, or buy an approved DIY one if thats legal in your state. It's hardly going to send you broke.

Remember this forum is open to all types and some wannabe, do it yourselfer, could try this and do some shonkey job... the result is potentially tragic!
FollowupID: 25431

Follow Up By: Steve L - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:57

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:57
Agree with Mickl,

The false floor on a set of drawers is not strong enough to mount a child restraint bracket and is illegal.

I'm in the process of getting mounts placed abive the rear door on my Cruiser and on my wifes 5 door Vitara. Take the car to an approved automotive engineer for an appraisal to see what can be done.

Steve
FollowupID: 25445

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:17

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:17
Good to see what you think about child safety ya knob . . .

DO NOT put a child restraint on a set of drawers . . .

There is a mob that do build drawers that do this, and have the ADR's to support it , but expect to pay HEAPS . . .

The only other alternative is to , build the drawers in such a way that it still allows access to the child restraint point you need to use.
FollowupID: 25453

Follow Up By: Hilly - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 16:31

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 16:31
I'm glad to see that you have such passion Mickl and flappan.

Have you viewed the child restraint anchor point's construction in your vehicle? In all likelihood you will find that it is a captured nut, tack welded under the floorpan of the rear floor if it's a wagon or the same thing through a single thickness sheet on the back ledge of a sedan. The aftermarket kits contain a 2mm thick, 40mm diameter washer and an eye bolt with 10mm threaded shaft with a nyloc washer. The intent being that you drill through the floor pan and fit the washer and nut below the floor, much like the tie down points for cargo carrying. These are of course for the style of restraint that has a latched hook at the end of the strapping. If you were to add even a 100mm square sheet of galv plate between the washer and vehicle the load is spread making it even stronger and more resistant to pull through.

The top floor on my drawers are held down by about 16 screwed fittings and the fridge tie down points, as manufactured, are almost exactly as I described above.

I applaud your concern but don't presume to tell me what I think about the safety of my children.

Cheers,

Hilly
FollowupID: 25492

Follow Up By: Mickl - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:55

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:55
This was hardly a personal attack on you, so don't get your tail up.
My points were that there are design rules and legalities applying to anchor points and no matter how strong you make your home made effort it is illegal (and thus a defect) If the unthinkable where to happen then you could be open to prosecution (this has happened recently in Adelaide and I can qoute the story if you like.)

Fair enough you did a great job in your car but how do you know the next bloke following your advice will do the same??

When it comes to issues like this, advice given should be as technically correct as you can give it, unbiased, and fall within the boundries of the law/design rules. "Fireside" opinions have no place when it comes to safety.

In the end you have your anchor set up and I have mine, and I assume we are both sleeping at night with our choices. There is little point continuing discusion.

However 'don'twannabeworkin' has not made his and my advice now is; Ring your relevant state authority and get the infomation regarding child restraints sent out to you, you then have it in black and white. Make your own choice as in the end the only people going to be effected are you and your family.
FollowupID: 25500

Follow Up By: flappan - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:08

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:08
Hilly, OK "Knob" might have been harsh, but my point is EXACTLY what Mickl has pointed out.

Further to that . . . My 1990 Pajero has these points in the floor . . . would be easy to fit a child restraint you would think WRONG.

The Seat is not designed to take the load in an accident where the child Restraint Strap is supported by the seat . . . .

Its not just a matter of drilling some holes, whacking in a bolt and washers, and away you go . . .

For a start its illegal, and would not be covered by ANY insurance . . .

Do it right . . . do it legally . . . or don't bother doing it at all . . .
FollowupID: 25544

Reply By: don'twannabeworkin - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:24

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:24
Thanks guys for all your comments. I didn't expect to get such a passionate exchange but I appreciate the feedback anyway. In regards to Child Safety, I have a beautiful 8 month old daughter and would never do anything to put her safety in jeopardy. The wide range of responses has certainly given me a direction to follow. Thanks everyone for your contribution.
AnswerID: 35299

Follow Up By: B.P.L. - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 22:25

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 22:25
Heres the simple solution.

I have OUTBACK drawers in my GU.

These drawers DO NOT use the child restraint fittings to bolt the drawers in. Simply hook on a 300mm extension strap to the child restraint fitting BEFORE installing the drawers. This then runs neatly up the back of the drawers and solves your problems.

I also have a beautifull 11 month old girl and went through this situation several months ago.
FollowupID: 25523

Reply By: roo - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 22:42

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 22:42
BPL,
what you have done is very dangerous and illegal.
By traping the strap under the drawers you have halved the safe working load as it is designed to work in a straight pull situation, make shore there are no sharp edges.
don'twannabeworkin,
try any reputable auto interior fitter, they can fit a legal tie down point in the back of the roof just above the barn doors for about $50. But the strap will run through your remaining cargo space and make it hard to pack.
Blackwidow make a drawer system with legal restraining points, buck be prepared to pay heaps.
I have been down this road as I have a two year old and one on the way, and came to the conclusion that I will wait till they are in booster seats b4 I get some drawers.

Cheers
ROO
AnswerID: 35651

Sponsored Links