2003 V6 Prado accessary power socket wiring

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:45
ThreadID: 8113 Views:1992 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
Has anyone out there re-wired or re-configured the rear accessary power socket on the vehicle. As this is wired dead and only active when the vehicle is on or switched to accessories, it is a pain in the butt to opperate the Waceo. I'm wondering if someone has reconfigured the existing wiring to be hot or if it was necessary to rewire the socket. I'd like to avoid this if possible as I've looked at the existing cable size/rating and feel that it's ample for the load.
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:53

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:53
Bazza, if you are happy with the wiring inside the vehicle then trace the loom at the front and find where the loom comes from the rear to the fuse panel etc. You can cut the rear outlet wiring and run a 'hot' wire from the battery and connect it to the factory wiring to the rear , just be sure to install a fuse within a few inches of the battery. Its a fairly easy job - about 2 weekend beers worth at least.....Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 35220

Reply By: Groove - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:16

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:16
If you are going to go to the trouble rewiring the existing socket it would probably be worth while to add an additional dedicated socket for the fridge.

I never had a great deal of success with cigarette lighter sockets and my Waeco. the plug always worked loose on bumpy roads. Thats when I changed to a socket that actualty locks the plug in. If you take the red plastic tip of the Waeco plug it will fit this type of socket. Cant remeber the name but no doubt someone here will.

Also I fitted a socket that allows the plug to be inserted vertically instead of horizontally, this made the plug and cable less prone to being bumped or accidentally removed by lugage in the back of the car.

Cheers

AnswerID: 35225

Reply By: Allfour4x4 - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:37

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:37
Bazza,
If the wiring in the new model is anything like the old it is probably better to renew the wiring to the socket/s with a heavier one!
Glenn B.
AnswerID: 35284

Reply By: Mickl - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 19:01

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 19:01
If you are going to wire this socket to be active then maybe consider a low voltage cutout, cheap insurance against a flat battery....
AnswerID: 35289

Follow Up By: Groove - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:46

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:46
Most Waecos have a low voltage cutout built in, but for other accesories its a good idea if you only have one battery.
FollowupID: 25517

Sponsored Links