what tires ???????

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 19:41
ThreadID: 8128 Views:1909 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody,

We are comming to Australia next year with our own car, it is almost ready but I can't decide what tires I should get.
I wanted the new Coopers but that seems to be not a good choice.
Can anyone give us some advise ?????

Thanks,
Erik
The NetherlandsLive today like there's no tommorrow
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hoyks - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:08

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:08
Eric, what are the tyres going on?
Coopers are a good solid, long mileage tyre and they are great on outback roads, but I have heard of people that are not happy with the wet weather handling because of the hard rubber compound.

I would have fitted coopers if I could afford them.
AnswerID: 35296

Reply By: Member - Eric- Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:46

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 20:46
Erik , were do you want to go ? what terrain do you want to travel on ?? do you need to go through mud ??? what vehicle do you have ? what size rims do you have ? is it modified ??

answer these questions , and we will be aboe to help more Venus Bay
AnswerID: 35301

Follow Up By: Member - Erik - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:08

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:08
Hello,
We want to travel all off Australia so we will be encounting all sorts of terrain I geuss.
I have a Landcruiser HDJ80 with 16"x8 steel wheels.
The car will carry a great lot so it will be very heavy.

Thanks for your reaction so far

ErikLive today like there's no tommorrow
FollowupID: 25542

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:19

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:19
Erik,
A guy in our club recently returned from a 13,000 klms trip, a fair old trip, he fitted a set of new Cooper A/T's whatever designation they are and the tyres are really showing signs of deterioration, there are some edge blocks which have been ripped off the tyre exposing the steel cords, this is only on one tyre on one other tyre a couple of the blocks have been ripped off but the steel cords aren't exposed. The tyres themselves looked like they had done considerably more K's than they had done. May have been a bad batch, not so sure though. He's taking them back to the place he bought them for a second opinion I don't fancy his chances of a refund / replacement. I have the good ole BFG A/T's and I think they are great, I've done lots of K's quite a bit on gravel and some rock hopping they still look great, I believe the ones out of the US are longer lasting than the ones out of Japan, can't comment as yet. My opinions as usual. Hope you have a nice trip when you get to OZ. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 35310

Reply By: Billy - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:52

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:52
Erik,

I have had BFG A/T on two vehicles, over six years and over a few major treks, some have had much more experience, but I have had zero tyre problems. Both original sets of Passenger rated A/T tyres gave trouble, whatever you do get LT rated if you intend to venture off the blacktop. I have no personal experience with Coopers but do know for a fact that they are less available and more expensive. Some say Cooper go missing in action with warranty issues and best case offer pro rata based on wear. But they seem to be popular.

Regds

BillAll aboard!
AnswerID: 35315

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:29

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:29
We just got back after 14000 kl with heavily laden vehicle. Used Goodyear Wranglers MTR's which gave great service and reasonable wear in all conditions. Not one flat. I'm going to stick with these in the future.

Of great importance when you are travelling with loads is to regulate tyre pressures according to conditions, bitumen pressures are more than for dirt roads and driving on sand even less presure again. You need a quality compressor and gauge to make these adjustments as you travell different terrains.
Also, stay away from the edges of roads and tracks where there are sharp rocks and stakes (sticks) lurking in the soft edges that often you can't see.

Good luck.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 35375

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:50

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:50
I'd agree with that but also add 'keep your speed down'. You need two spares. I'd also include a puncture plugging kit. The ideal would be to have the Smart Tire monitoring system which alerts you when a tyres temperature or pressure deviates from pre-set values. They cost USD$200.Bob
FollowupID: 25562

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 16:24

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 16:24
Lets not starty a tyre war!

Just to throw another brand at you we have been running on Bridgestone D693's on our vehicle latley after being disappointed with BFG and Coopers for poor wear. The performance was fine just that I expect better than 15-20K's (12 months) out of my tyres (for the price you have to pay).

We have used many different types of tyres over the years Goodyear, BFG, Toyo, Pirelli, Coopers and now the Bridgestones. They are all tyres and they all hold the car up, as for the thing I value "wear", I have only really been happy with the Toyo and Bridgestones (so far - only had 6 months on the Bridgestones 693's however they are showing much better wear then what we have experienced with the others at this stage).

What every you buy you can rest assured that they work, just hope you do not need to buy too many sets to get around.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 35421

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 18:24

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 18:24
Almost any decent brand will do if you constantl adjust the pressures to suit the terrain. A good idea is also to move them front to back when your half way round. Look after them and they'll look after you.
AnswerID: 35443

Reply By: bulldust - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:25

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:25
eric, coopers are aparently very good tyres, however i gave yokohama geolander a/t 2's a go and love them. now up to 55000km, still got 10000 left in them. i have just completed a 18 week trip right across the top (via dirt) of australia, through the tanami desert etc without a hitch. should find them better priced than the coopers also
AnswerID: 35468

Sponsored Links