Fridges again

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 813 Views:1616 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone had experience - good or bad - with the EvaKool 12v/240v fridge range. I am looking at the 65l unit with the removable freezer slide and would be interested in any comments
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00
I heard a while ago they had a lot of teething problems but solved since, the insulation on an Evakool is second to none which is so important for a 12v fridge so long as warm air can be efficiently discharged. They do know (or did they always ?) use the Danfoss 35 compressor which i understand is about the best you can buy for at least tropical temperatures. But of course I defer my opinions to anyone that has or had one.
AnswerID: 2290

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00

I heard a while ago they had a lot of teething problems but solved since, the insulation on an Evakool is second to none which is so important for a 12v fridge so long as warm air can be efficiently discharged. They do know (or did they always ?) use the Danfoss 35 compressor which i understand is about the best you can buy for at least tropical temperatures. But of course I defer my opinions to anyone that has or had one.
AnswerID: 2291

Reply By: Nigel - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00

I've got an evakool ED68 and in tropical far north queensland it works wonderfully. You'll need to put a decent plug on the power lead as it comes with a lighter plug. On a recent trip in 34 degrees we ran it on 2 and it kept the drinks ice cold. On 7 it drops to about -15 degrees. Once I forgot to plug it in after moving it and seven hours later it was still cold inside (that was an overcast day). It uses the danfoss compressor and even with the fan running it's fairly quiet. At night (20+ ambient) we turn it down to minimum to conserve the battery and stop things freezing. Main reasons I bought it was coz it has thicker walls than most, it's lighter than the autofridge and it's white so it will reflect the heat better than most. I had a minor problem with one of the catches and the local dealer replaced it without hassle.
AnswerID: 2294

Follow Up By: Geoff - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Porl and Nigel - much appreciated
FollowupID: 828

Reply By: Fred - Saturday, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:00
Geoff, the only fridge to consider if you are a serious off roader is a 3 way. I have a Finch which is about 20 years old. I can run it for weeks on a bottle of gas, it works brilliantly on 240v at home and 12 volt in the Prado. Was recently in tropical Queensland weather and it's performance was great! No dual batteries, no need to drive every day to top up the battery and it only cost me $100 second hand!!
AnswerID: 2407

Sponsored Links