how to do it?

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:06
ThreadID: 8164 Views:1872 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I will go to Oz in Feb'04 and want to do some longer outback trips after a while of learning and short trips. obviously I want to buy a 4x4 when I come but t should also be able to handle everything later. I have to problems. first i have no experience yet and second (as usual) only little money. I want to go for a 75 Landcruiser as I read here and there that its a good low cost choice. I saw a offer online for a '96 75 Landcruiser with all kind of equipment (camping, spar parts, tools etc) and ready for trips (heavy weight supension, dual batterie etc.). All for 16500 $ but with 320k km. Now is this example worth looking in or is 320k anyways to much trouble for the future? What are good ways to find the right car (where e.g.) and how do I know its a good buy (simple things to check for anot yet offroader)?
I assume I am the 1 million user asking these questions but anyways I would be gratefull for any help from you pro's.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:22

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:22
First off if it's a Deisel model with 320k on the clock and servised properly it should be good for another 300k, and the price looks ok.

Check out the trip planning section on this site its very good, buy a map of Australia and go from there.

Before you arrive arrange to meet with someone and they will be able to help you on your planning.
AnswerID: 35515

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:27

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:27
Thanks for the info. It is actually a disel (I thought it would be the best choice) and it has proofen service for the last 60k-70k add. it would get a last service just before handover. Is it enough to know bout the last 70k of servicing?
FollowupID: 25669

Reply By: reisender - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:24

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:24
Addition: I would spend up to 35000 AUD but including everything: car, spar parts, tools, camping stuff...you get the pic. I mean it does not have to come together but that would be my max. budget for all stuff needed. Is the enough? May I be able to do it a bit cheaper?
How can I learn to fix my car by myself? I have no big experience but love all technical stuff. Should i just read a book? just decompile the whole car an hope to get everything back without having something left for training? shall I go to a course? Is there hope for me? ;o)

Thx again for any hints, tips, tricks and help!
reisender
AnswerID: 35516

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:52

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:52
Go along when it gets the service done and ask a lot of questions, if they will let you do some of the service, there is no better wat to learn than hands on.
FollowupID: 25671

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:55

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:55
Reisender,
most people get by without extensive mechanical knowledge. Some experience in the essential systems is important: cooling system, tyres, electrical. These are the things that usually cause a vehicle to 'fail to proceed'. If something major happens in the engine or drive train you are cactus anyway. Mechanical help is available in most towns, even the very small 'one horse' towns.
It's great you are coming - just don't get too worried about what might go wrong. As we say here 'she'll be right mate'.
Bob
FollowupID: 25672

Reply By: Mikef_Patrol - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:42

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:42
Hi reisender

Please, Please Please don't plan to do the centre part of Australia in Feb/March/April. It's too hot. People die out there because of the heat.

And trust me, despite the fact that Australia looks small on a map, it isn't. As someone once said, travelling in Australia involves driving for long periods (boredom) interspersed with short periods of excitement (getting where you're going).

Lots of places, especially away from the coast, are a long way from each other. Assume there will be no water supply in between most places you will want to go, especially away from the coast. Always carry water!

And just because a track is on the map, and only 100KMS long, don't assume it'll only take an hour or so to get there. It may be a total goat track and take 6 hours or more to do the 100KMS.

In fact, just thinking about it, why not buy the NatMap maps (2 CDS) for about AUD$99 (not heavy so postage should be quite cheap O/S) and, once you have decided where you want to go on a general map, use the NatMap maps to do more detailed planning. They will give you a much better idea of the terrain you will be traversing.

This is my 2c worth, and is dispensed with respect. Others will add more i'm sure.

MikeF
AnswerID: 35526

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:24

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:24
Hi MikeF,

Thanks for the warning. I actually coming in Feb for 2 or 3 years and wanted to get some experience before I do 'the big trip'. I had in mind to do it in Dec'04 for 3 month. From east to west throught the 'middle' and on the way back bit more realxed staying closer to the costline. I know that this is around australian summer which worried me too. Is december/jan to hot too or is there a way to stay out of hot spots?

The long distance does not scare me as I did long trips (7000km) before but not offroad. Not being fried seems to be the bigger challenge :(

I'll be prepared (maps, equipment, training etc.) and posts like yours are a big help to my preparation (and survival ;o) ).

reisender
FollowupID: 25677

Follow Up By: Brendon - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:55

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:55
Stay down south in summer, unless you like it hot and wet. Many areas up north are closed during the wet and it limits what you can see. Best plan to head up North in May as it dries out. There is a way to stay out of hot spots. - Plenty to see down South in summer.
A trip round Aus in 3 months would be OK. Depends how much you intend to see.
FollowupID: 25680

Reply By: Brendon - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:33

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:33
As for the car; just make sure it is well maintained. If you are not sure about this, take it to an expert and get a report done. We have good reliable, independant people that can do this for you. You could even have it done while you are still overseas and safely buy the car from there. If you post another note and ask about this type of service in the area you are buying from, I'm sure you will get plenty of responses.

The trip; We have a great country and plenty to see. There are great resources on the web to do research. Travel to extreme outback areas should never be tackled without plenty of experience. But, don't think this will limit you. You can spend years travelling around this country and seeing amazing places relatively close to main roads. You will still get plenty of off road experience and be able to explore remote locations, camping under the stars.

Knowing your abilities and common sense are the keys. Good luck.
AnswerID: 35530

Reply By: Peter L - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:09

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:09
Reisender, you say you are coming to Australia for 3 years - what are you going to do? Are you working here on contract or do you plan to do odd jobs such as done by many backpackers? Where are you coming from and where did you do the long distance trips?

As stated above the Northern half of Australia is effectively off limits from approx October to March due to high rainfall (flooding) high humidity and heat. Most aussies would not venture into central or northern aus at that time.

On this site you will find an enormous amount of information regarding trip & vehicle preparation, distinations, safety etc.

The 75 series troopie is a suitable vehicle for the type of trip you are contemplating but (as also stated above) it is essential that you carry suitable spares, recovery equipment, comunication equipment etc, and you would be best advised to travel the more remote parts in convoy with another vehicle for safety in the event of a breakdown. There are many people travelling outback so you should be able to find travelling companions for most of your trip. Again this particular forum is a great place to communicate with others who have been to, or intend to go to the same sort of places as yourself.

Good luck

Peter L
AnswerID: 35554

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 21:22

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 21:22
Hi Peter,

I lived in Germany and England and did some trips in Europe with the longest one being 7k km. Anyways Europe is very different from Oz. At the moment I am in Bangladesh but in Feb my fiance starts to study in Oz so I'll come along. Jobwise I dont mind doing sth proper or odd stuff. Whatever is available.
I checked the website here and I found a lot of info but there is always the one or the other question left for this forum which I think is filled with nice ppl. Only this one thread gave e a lot of help and info.

Cheers, reisender

FollowupID: 25746

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 16:12

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 16:12
Reisender,
When you get here & find a vehicle do a 4WD training course & a few 1 & 3 day tagalong trips to learn what it's all about & to get advise on what you plan to do.
Do a business search on this site for some trainers. Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 35599

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 23:21

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 23:21
Reisender, There are lots of travellers from overseas travelling around Australia. You will enjoy your trip immensely. The 75 Series Landcruiser is a popular and good choice of vehicle. You have recieved some good information on this post. The advice that I would like to pass on to you is to check the vehicles history before you buy it. If it has been a previous hire car, I would not consider it as they have often been treated rather harshly and possibly poorly maintained. Look for regular servicing in the vehicle log book. diesels are recommended for servicing every 5000k's.
Good Luckne cede malis
AnswerID: 35654

Follow Up By: reisender - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 00:58

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 00:58
What would such a 5k check consist of? Are there major checks every 10k or so?

Thx for your help
reisender
FollowupID: 25752

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:58

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:58
Reisender,
The 5k service is generally (depending on vehicle) simply a change of oil, new oil filter, grease all the grease nipples, check and clean air filter, check levels of brake, clutch,power steering cylinders and a general check that all is as it should be. Fuel and air filters require replacing every 20k or sooner depending on conditions.
Oil replacement every 5k is in my opinion vital for the longevity of diesel engines in Toyota and Nissan's
FollowupID: 25776

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 23:23

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 23:23
reisender.

Which city is your fiance studying in? I assume you will start from there, if it is Melbourne I can help with your vehicle and trianing, there is no need to by anything in advance as there are plenty of vehicles for sale in Aus. If you want to contact me direct; emer@netspace.com.au Eric.
AnswerID: 35655

Sponsored Links