CAR ALARM

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 17:35
ThreadID: 8180 Views:2061 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys and Guyesses...I am looking at installing a ROBUST, WATERPROOF, RELIABLE car alarm into my Toyota 100series. When I am 'out and about' I am usually on my own (awww geee) and take LOTS of electronic toys with me. When I get out of truck to go exploring I am always concious of someone breaking in and cleaning me out. Thinking is that if I have alarm at least I will have the chance to get back to vehicle if someone gets in.
Looking at a couple of options, including the Rhino GPS based rig.
Anyone any suggestions, experience, contacts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 17:39

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 17:39
P.S

This is the Rhino site:
http://www.rhino.com.au/rhino_tracks/info.html
AnswerID: 35613

Reply By: Mickl - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 22:30

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 22:30
On my last 4 vehicles I have installed an Equator 260 from Jaycar electronics. This is a full featured, latest technology unit and I've never had a problem with any of them. The main unit mounts under the dash (water proof enough?) and only the siren mounts under the bonnet. The alarm also ties in with central locking and with a seperate kit it also winds up power windows. Best bit is its on sale at the moment $149 (normal $200).. worst bit is you have to install it yourself! or pay someone else to install it for you.
I have also used a Rhino unit in the past with gave me no trouble until I flooded it (siren and contol box were one unit mounted under bonnet) I sent it in for repair and they sent me a brand new unit at no cost! I was happy to say the least.

Tech tips on alarms are: Buy a second siren(120db battery back up) and mount it in the cabin(well hidden) Its pretty hard for a thief to rip out your radio when he's got his fingers in his ears! Stealth mount as much of the alarm as possible(ie tape the wiring in with the factory loom, hide the ignition cut relay) Cut the ignition in at least two places (ie fuel, start circuit) Solder or crimp all connections, Those "quick tap" things that seem to come with all automotive accessories are a no no!
AnswerID: 35762

Sponsored Links