Warn Winch Parts

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 21:21
ThreadID: 8186 Views:2070 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
For the sake of a screw a car was lost ?
Not quite, but I recently purchased a new Warn XD 9000 winch and when using for the first time to tension the cable, as recommended in the brochures, I inadvertently wound out the cable beyond the 6 (?) turns that are recommended to be left on the drum. As a result the small screw that retains the cable on the drum sprung out under the cable tension ( no I wasn't recovering just walking the cable out) and I had no hope of finding the little bugger in the rough ground. Hence a brand new winch, with a new cable, but unfortunately not connected to each other, and therefore useless. All my fault for not paying enough attention to the instructions, but thankfully happening in a practice situation.

It occured to me that in the hurley burley of an actual recovery a similar thing could happen to others ( or at least those with my diminished level of capability) and that an expensive piece of kit could be rendered useless, with potentially disasterous consequences for the vehicle and its DH driver. All for the sake of a 30cent screw!

No reflection on Warn nor ARB who happily replaced the screw and rewound the cable free of charge. I forgot to ask for a description of the screw so I can get another, anyone stupid enough to do this once probably has the capability to do it again, and why take the chance for 30 cents.

Can anyone tell me what size / description this small round headed screw is ? I'm sure that it can't be unique to the winch and is probably generally available in packets of 10 for people who shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of a 4WD.

Thanks, any response/assistance which doesn't make me feel more stupid would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:27

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:27
HI Phil,
Can't help with the screw, imagine a quick call to ARB will help. I think you're being a bit hard on your self, although I think you can see the funny side.We all learn from experience, and it was once said to me that experience is what we learn one second after we needed it.
Cheers David
AnswerID: 35677

Reply By: Member - Neil & Lynne(Bunbury) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:03

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:03
Hey Phil, don't feel so bad...I've heard of guys losing their house for the sake of a screw...lol

IF this ever happens again, the winch is not rendered useless, just poke the cable back in the hole then start rewinding the cable making sure at least one wrap overlaps another. This will lock the cable on when the pressure is taken up. Still aim for about 6 wraps before the load comes on though.

Life's too short to say .. "I can't do that !"
AnswerID: 35681

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:55

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:55
You have the screw, take it to the hardware store with you...
AnswerID: 35693

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 13:55

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 13:55
hmmmm?
u said"For the sake of a screw a car was lost ? "

i thought it was going to be a messy divorce case pending but alas just tom foolery?

handy to know though1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 35703

Reply By: glenno - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 15:20

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 15:20
i have a warn high mount winch and the end of the cable goes thru a hole in the drum and then a large d clamp is put onto the wire to stop it pulling out (keeping in mind i think they say on mine to keep 5 winds on the drum ).
AnswerID: 35895

Sponsored Links