Amazing Cobb

Submitted: Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 16:04
ThreadID: 8220 Views:3622 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was given a Cobb Cooker as a present last month and I can't beleive how good it is. I thought it would cook quite slowly but it's really efficent, and best of all the meat is just perfect. I really sudgest anybody that want's a portable cooker to get one of these. I love them. I don't know if they're sold through stores but you can visit their website www.cobbaustralia.com.au to find out................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shannon - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 19:20

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 19:20
Hi Jax,
I too have got a Cobb, and am equally impressed. Just got back from a 10 day jaunt up through north western NSW and used it just about everyday. Cooked everything from roasts, sausages, damper, even cooked a cake in it, I found it really versatile. It is just like a camp oven, but you dont need a fire which is handy sometimes!
AnswerID: 35834

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 22:49

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 22:49
Just remember that there is no heat source in the "cooker". It's just a well insulated container that holds much of the heat originally put in by gas or electricity. I think the name "cooker" is incorrect as it is an insulated food container.
AnswerID: 35933

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 17:24

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 17:24
Mick

Suggest you actually check out the webpage posted in start of this thread...I have a Cobb as shown and can ASSURE you it is a COOKER...it uses fire starters and heatbeads...nothing to do with electricity or gas...either I have got something horribly wrong or the blister on my hand from trying to pick up the pizza tray last week are imaginery :-)
FollowupID: 25967

Follow Up By: Wombat (Victoria) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:12

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:12
Mick,

I think you may have the Cobb confused with a Dreampot."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 26166

Reply By: Harry - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:17

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:17
Goodonya Jax,
A couple of tips. When doing your roast, put your veges in at the start of meat cooking or no longer than 1/2 an hr later.
You can speed up the start of cooking by putting your heatbeads, already in the basket, in the camp fire to get them going faster, and you'll be cookin within 15mins. Or use the quick light heatbeads which only require a match to start, they are good but I did find the odd 1 wouldn't light at all. I actually cooked a roast beef on 5 heat beads but did not know at the time 3 of the beads were not burning. It's an only now and again so it doesn't really put me off them.
Don't buy cheap beads or you will be disappointed.
Use pliers or something similar to place and lift in and out of fire.
If u know someone that can weld stainless steel, get them to put an extra rim of wire about 25mm higher and your beads wont fall out.
Have a great "Aussie" day
Colin :>)
AnswerID: 35985

Reply By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:35

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:35
G'Day Jax,
I agree, an excellent product. I've had mine for about 6 months and use it all the time, either while I'm off bush or at home, as it resides next to the BBQ. I'ts great to have a BBQ at home while cooking up a smoked snapper on the Cobb. I've found that if you use 8 "Fire Starter" brand heat beads, which have no fuel smell to them, I can cook a leg of lamb perfectly in 2 hours 15 mins.
A couple of tips for you .... try using the new "green fuel" liquid starter gell from Boots Camping. You need to use about a quarter of a bottle for each start but it will get those heat beads working real quick and it produces so much flame that it's not effected by windy conditions. They were selling it for about $8 a bottle last time I was there.
The other tip ... try pouring a cup of red wine in the moat while cooking a roast ...sensational!
*If there are others out there with some cooking tips for the Cobb I'd be interested to here them.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 36153

Follow Up By: Jax - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:08

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:08
Hi Bazza,
Yeah I've cooked with wine in the moat and agree that it's great. It doesn't steam the meat it just ends up being so tender.
I dont use liquid starting fuel as it can seep through the bowl and create a fire in the base. It hasn't happened to me but I was told by someone at Cobb that it's a no no.
Cheers,
Jax
FollowupID: 26068

Follow Up By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:42

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:42
G'Day Jax,
Thanks for your comment on the liquid fuel, you are correct, I was advised of the same issue. That got me curious, as I was told by a distributer of the Cobb that the new gell starter fuel did not cause the same risk as the liquid fuel. So ........... to apease my curiousity I rang Cobb. Their view is that untill they try the new gell fuel they are still recommending using fire starters although they feel that if the gell fuel does not return to liquid when lit ( which it does'nt, it trys to crystallise as it burns off ) it should be OK. Cobb says that they will get back to me when they've tried it.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 26070

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:28

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:28
Jax
I've heard a bit about the Cobb and it seems to be the real deal.
How much are they and where can I get one?
Cheers
oskarThe real oskar
AnswerID: 36166

Follow Up By: Jax - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 15:41

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 15:41
Hi Oskar,
Cobbs seem only to available direct from Cobb Australia. Their website is www.cobbaustralia.com.au The prices are on there but I think it's around $180 for the Cobb and a Carry Bag. The frypan accessories is really good and they sell for around $23. Check out the website though because you'll get some more info on the product.
Cheers,
Jax
FollowupID: 26086

Sponsored Links