Calibrating maps on Oziexplorer

Submitted: Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:14
ThreadID: 8229 Views:2014 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Please don't send me to Yahoo. I can't follow the threads and its more confusing than foreign policy.

I have just started to use Oziexplorer version 3.90 and I am yet to get it out in the car and use it as a moving map. What I have at the moment is the Austlig Raster 250K series which came on 2 CD's. It covers all of Australia.

I intend to use it with a laptop and a Garmin 176C in the car. The Garmin 176C is set to WGS84 and all my waypoints to date have been obtained in that GPS and in that datum. I have the Metroguide and Blue Charts for that machine as well.

My question is: -

1. Do I have to calibrate the maps that I use in the Austlig set?

2. If the answer to that is YES then how the hell do I do that. Dumb your answer down, I won't be offended at all.

3. If the answer is NO then how reliable are the waypoints that I have already got going to be when used on the moving maps. [And not the Garmin Metroguide?

4. Is there a decent book that explains Oziexplorer for gumbies like me or is it a case of use and learn.

I will be back for more no doubt but I will appreciate any help that I can get.

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:48

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:48
They maps do need need calibration files but thankfully the hard work has already been done for you. Go to the oziexplorer site and click on the "Australian Page" for comprehensive info.

www.oziexplorer.com

Your waypoints should be accurate.

I think the ozi help file includes a basic tutorial.My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 35861

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:51

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:51
By the way, where do you live roughly. There maybe someone close by willing to lend a hand if you really get stuck. If you're close to Geelong
give me a buzz.My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 25889

Reply By: Moneypit - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:18

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:18
Ray,

I live in the NW of WA so I'm guessing I couldn't be much further away from Geelong and still have dry feet.

Thanks for the offer and I'll check out that page.

Dave
AnswerID: 35866

Follow Up By: Groove - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:49

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:49
Moneypit,
OziExplorer can be a little tricky at first but stick at, it is a great tool once mastered.

The .map files download from the Oziexplorer site are very accurate however they will point to Drive D: or CD rom drive when looking for the actual maps. This can cause the system operate a little slowly when loading some of the larger maps.

I copied all the Raster 250K maps from CD to my hard drive and the improvement in performance was incredible. However the .map files need to be editied to point to your hard drive for the location of the actual maps.

To overcome this you can edit the map files in a text editor such as notepad, or better still you can do this in MS Word using the search and replace eg search for D: replace with C:\. If really clever you can write a macro which will open all of the map files in one go, automatically make the changes and save the files.

I can give more details if anyone is interested.
Cheers
FollowupID: 25896

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 04:42

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 04:42
Grrove,

under the file menu in Oziexplorer, there is a "Change image file name, path and drive"

This changes the drive in all the .map files in one hit.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
FollowupID: 25902

Follow Up By: Groove - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 16:22

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 16:22
There you go, I used my approach about 3 and a half years ago and I'm sure there was no such option at the time, this prgram just gets better all the time.
FollowupID: 26294

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:49

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:49
Moneypit,

Simply download the Raster Map files from the OziExplorer website and you will be away. It is almost simple. Yes there is a book available on this site it is called Exploring GPS - A GPS Users Guide $18.53 another is GPS Vehicle Navigation in Australia $23.70, view the reference booksat our site. These books explain a lot of this stuff, also have a look at the Navigation Topic Search on the LHS of the screen. There are a few articles that we have written. If everyting else fails give me call during business hours WST we use these products all the time.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 35870

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:52

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:52
Yeah mate, you are not the only one to have problems with installing and configuring the maps. Can't even remember how it was done but I got a younger brain from down the street to help out. We managed to configure the whole lot at once. I have no use for a moving map situation but I find the Oziexplorer software very good with the Natmap Raster 250K maps in conjunction with my GPS.

I know this does not help you much....just a vote of sympathy :-)))

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 35872

Reply By: Moneypit - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:58

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:58
Once I have downloaded them where do I put the files from Ozieexplorer? Do I put them in OE or in the file that the Raster files are in.

If I can already see the files when I open OE does that mean I have already got calibrated maps or is it something that I have to do still.

And I appreciate the speedy help.

Dave

AnswerID: 35873

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:51

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:51
I keep my .map files in the same directory as the image files but you can put them in a seperate dir if you wish

Don't forget to run the built in utility that Wazza speaks off above.

My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 25906

Reply By: BurnieM - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 09:30

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 09:30
I was just wondering why you decided to get Ozieplorer is you already have Garmins Metroguide maps for your GPSmap 176c ?

Not a critisism, just wondering.
AnswerID: 35886

Reply By: Moneypit - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:12

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:12
BurnieM,

Only because everyone raves about it and in looking at the maps they appear to be much more detailed than the Garmin maps. According to the Garmin Maps where I live does not even exist yet even though the place has been here for 5 years and is surrounded by streets and other houses. According to Metroguide there is nothing here at all yet it is a major subdivision in a country town.

I might be wrong but I want to see and check it out and I'm off on a 1200K trip this morning. Not a fun one, just a must go, and I thought I'd give it a go.

Might have to just load it up and see what happens?

Thanks to all the other people taking the time to help out. It is appreciated.

Dave
AnswerID: 35888

Sponsored Links