Winch Question

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 824 Views:1893 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
i am attempting to ascertain the advantages/disadvantages of installing either a hydraulic or electric winch. i know that for an electric winch a dual battery set up is needed but what duration can i expect from that. the more information i have at least i can make an informed decision based on my needs.

regards

donald dasher
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:00
Hey DD, I have a electric winch in my rodeo, but still run only 1 battery, albeit a bigger bugger, a overlander 700 CCA (cold cranking amps), and had the alternator changed to give 80 amps. Works well for me, use quality cable from battery to the winch, as I see it, a hydraulic winch is rather expensive, and if the engine is a no go, so is the winch, so with the electric, just wind up the revs a tad, to ensure a good charge is going into the battery as you use the winch. If my engine is not going, well, at least I have a small amount of winching capability, but not as much as 2 batteries. If you need winching and the engine is no go, I'd say things have gone rather pear shaped anyway..lol..
AnswerID: 2321

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:00
I drove 4wds for over 30 years without a winch making do with my hand winch, an incredibly versatile piece of recovery equipment. Because of my training I needed a winch and not liking electric for a number of reasons I chose an OX hydraulic Its line speed is a little slower yet I can winch my self and then half a dozen tour vehicles up a slippery hill one after the other no problem, from experience no matter if you have 1 or 2 batterys an electic winch overheats and gives up after only about 5 minutes of hard work.
Before you buy make sure you have a definite use
for a power winch to justify the expence, the weight, the maintenance and the cost most ppl would be far better off with a hand winch and I still carry mine everywhere.
Cheers Rob
Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 2327

Follow Up By: Drew Arthur - Saturday, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:00
I have had the same question in mind. I am going around Oz and other smaller trips from next year and was considering buying a 2nd hand electric winch. Do you consider that a hand winch (tirfor or similar) would be better for my 100 series?
FollowupID: 835

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Drew, weigh up the pros and cons, the weight of a winch in front of your front axle the cost of buying, fitting bull bar mounts, wiring, maintenance, wether you use it or not. Pros, its handy if its been maintained to pull you forwards for about 5 mins in hard conditions before it overheats or flattens your battery.
Cons of a hand winch, its hard work and has to be stored somewhere. Pros, its cheap, $350 for a brand new Tuff Pull, needs only a couple of shackles and a snatch block to pull front back or sideways, another advantage of a hand winch is after a hard winching session it will make you far more cautious about where you take your vehicle. Electric or power winches tend to make ppl feel they are invincible and take stupid risks. Excuse my bias but I have often had to go and get them out.
Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 836

Follow Up By: Drew Arthur - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Rob, I will carefully consider the options before splashing out on and electric winch. I suppose you need a $1000 set of _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx though to get it out of the way now?
FollowupID: 839

Reply By: sean - Thursday, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:00
If a hand winch is being considered, then dont underestimate the effort needed to work it.
They are blody hard work.
I got bogged recently up to the chassis and if I didnt have 2 others to help, I would not have got out.

Sean
AnswerID: 2382

Reply By: Donald Dasher - Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00
Thanx for the info. One more question, how effective is using a hi lift jack with chain as a hand winch disregarding the operating effort.
AnswerID: 2388

Follow Up By: Mike - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00
Donald
I tried this arrangement a few years ago to see if it would work. It's a waste of time and sweat and probably dangerous. Try it for yourself by winching your vehicle up your driveway with the handbrake slightly on and you will see what a waste of time it would be in the bush if you really needed to rely on it. You only get about a metre of winch travel and if you need to use an extension strap, most of that travel is taken up by stretch in the strap. Even just using a chain ie no stretch, you still lose a lot of travel when you take up the slack in the chain. You would also need a second chain to secure the vehicle if you were winching it up a slope as you reconnected the hi-lift and first chain. Again, you lose most of what you have gained in taking up the slack in the system. The whole system is quite unstable and you wouldn't know when you are approaching the limits of the jack's capacity, unlike a Tirfor where the shear pins would break. If you factor in the risk, minimal winching travel, and the extra effort involved in connecting the line, securing the vehicle with a second line, disconnecting then reconnecting the first line each time to move about half a metre, it ain't worth it. I recommend you try it at home without loading up the jack to prove it to yourself.
FollowupID: 888

Sponsored Links