A/T tyres

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 20:05
ThreadID: 8262 Views:2626 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a manual V6 latest model Prado and have two questions to post. (1) This vehicle comes with 17" wheels and because of that, my choices are limited (at this stage). As far as I am aware only Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson and maybe Yokohama have tyres which are suitable for the intented purpose. Over the next two years I will be up in the Kimberly and later make three crossings of the Canning stock Route. The last of these trips will have a considerable amount of cross country work. I need advice from people who have had experience with these tyres in similar conditions. Also, is anyone aware of manufacturers who make 265/65R17 steel rims?
(2) The Prado will be heavily modified (the cost of which is making my eyes water, not to mention my bank manager). The vehical obivouly requires an after market suspension replacement, with probably a lift of around 25mm. Can I have your thoughts on which product(s) I should be cosidering (currently looking at Bilstein shockers and progressive coils, but damn expensive!
This is for a major project which, at this stage, is in the early planning stage. If we

receive the funding required, I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for any contribution.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:36

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:36
I believe you can get BFG ATKO in a 265/70R17. Saw them on a Prado at the recent 4wdshow in Adelaide. More tyres will become available in the future - after all its the biggest selling 4wd at present.

People have been fitting 16 inch steel rims to the 120 series. The 16x7 steel rims from the previous Prado appear to be the best fit - allegedly they fit with a couple of mm clearance off the front calipers. Other 16 inch steel rims require a couple of mm ground off the front calipers. I think this is the best option for your intended trips, as 16 inch replacement tyres are obviously commonly available in the bush.

You can also get the steel rims from the RV model 120 series, but they are only 6 inch wide and almost no other tyres available at present.

You may find the 120 series email group helpful as well.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/120scool/

The suspension is very similar to the 90 series, and most people just change to heavier springs ($300 + fitting) on the 90series. Toyota shocks are excellent, and certainly on the 90 series appear to be much more reliable than most aftermarket shocks.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 35988

Reply By: Tristjo (Brisbane) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 00:30

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 00:30
Kim,

If you intend on doing serious trips, you will need serious tyres. No one makes any serious tyres to suit 17" rims.

My advice is to fit a set of 16" rims to the vehicle. 16" tyres are readily available in the bush, where as 17"s don't exist. As far as tyres go, for serious cross country driving, puncture resistance and offroad traction are parramount. Check out both the Simex Extreme Trekker Centipede's, and Jungle Trekker 2's. Also have a look at the bias ply Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

But with these sort tyre's fitted, the on road ride and handling charactaristics will be vastly altered ( read- PRETTY AVERAGE).

Hope this helps.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 36011

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:59

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:59
Tristjo and Kim, the inside wheel clearance will be a major drama if you fit 16" wheels, all manner of things will get caught in there as in my friends Prado with 16" wheels, it is a constant worry to him when travelling off the beaten trackLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 26060

Reply By: KIM - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:58

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:58
Thanks for that Phil & Tristjo,
I've found out that Coopers and Mickey Thompson have 265/70/R17s which should be ok. Phil, the BFG's you refer to at the show also appeared at the Melbourne show. I was informed they were imports, however I'll check this out again. The steel rims are another matter as their not available at this stage which, is a real pain. I don't particularly want to go to 16" rims as the Prado's ground clearance is nothing to write home about. Hence the question on suspension and lift.
Thanks once again
Kim
AnswerID: 36062

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:49

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:49
Would love to know why one would buy such a vehicle to do a job that the same company (Toyota) makes a specific unit for which to do just what you have outlined... Does the late model Prado come in diesel ?
steve
AnswerID: 36122

Reply By: KIM - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:05

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:05
Thanks Bonz.
What your saying is the same as the advice I have received, so I won't be going down that path.
It's interesting, I have been driving 4wd's in the bush for close on 45 years (started early) but this time never gave a thought to ask about the size of the rims when I bought the Prado. Guess it just shows we all have hiccups in life!
Kim
AnswerID: 36315

Sponsored Links