Aux fuel loss

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 23:37
ThreadID: 8270 Views:1386 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all my 99 Gu patrol is a gas fired beast with the standard aux petrol tank. Does anybody have the problem of fuel being used from this tank without actually pulling from the petrol tank ??? Also get petrol smell regularly and signs of seepage around d/s rear wheel , possible breather problem ??? Help , not liking the price of fuel in NW WA so don,t want to throw away.

Cheers and cold beers
Clarky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:13

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:13
If they use the same system as the diesel then what happens is the transfer pump runs for about 10 seconds each time you start up. All part of the diagnostics or something. Or maybe to make sure that the fuel doesn't "Go Off". Lord knows but thats what it is doing.

AnswerID: 36024

Reply By: Tom - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:12

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:12
Clarky, I am presuming by "Gas fired beast" you mean you have a dual fuel configured beast. If that is the case, it is an EFI petrol engine. If your gas conversion setup is the same as my Patrol, you will use some petrol as the vehicle actually starts on petrol and then automatically switches over to gas. This is one of the reasons that you must always maintain a minimum of 1/4 of a tank of petrol. The other reason is that fuel pump is immersed in fuel and runs continuously, thereby requiring fuel for cooling purposes.

As for the petrol smell around D/S rear wheel, check your fuel line clamps etc on the return line to the tank. As I said earlier, the fuel pump runs continuously, and the fuel is continuously being recirculated from the pump to the injector rail and back to the pump.

Tom
AnswerID: 36029

Reply By: GQfisho - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:45

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:45
Paul,
one small issue with the gas/petrol conversion is to never have your petrol tank full when driving on gas as the petrol expands and will leak through the charcoal filter, the breather hose to the filter should come out underneath the veichle, not sure where as I have a GQ.
Not sure if this is what is happening to your beast but this has happened to myself.
AnswerID: 36035

Sponsored Links