Which car: Prado, Jackeroo or Discovery?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:06
ThreadID: 8283 Views:4008 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Discovered this great site doing research to get a new 4WD - I would really appreciate some advice on the following: I am looking at the Prado 3.0 Diesel, Jackeroo Nullabor Diesel and Discovery TD5 all in auto, mid range configuration and with 7/8 seats. Have driven all and they seem OK - quite different as I have had a Pajero and two Prados in petrol before. Decided on Diesel mainly on economy grounds. Usage will be about 60% metro with a bit of towing tool trailer, about 40% highway, dirt roads and off road - with 3 young kids and sometimes towing a camper trailer. Also hope to do a couple of BIG trips north and west in the next couple of years. I'd like advice on: fuel economy, resale value, any problems, etc. - I like the Prado (particularly resale value) but do not like the 5,000k service intervals; I like the Discovery (particularly the 20,000k service intervals) but hate the price and the resale value, I like the Jackeroo (particularly the runout prices) but seems dated and about to be discontinued. - Any advice based on your experience would help to decide. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:17

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:17
Isn't the Pajero diesel the best of the lot?Bob
AnswerID: 36085

Reply By: peter16 - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:37

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:37
Maybe, but I have discounted Pajeros since they introduced that silly little third row seat - I have had an NL Pajero and two Prados, all with separate fold down seats in third row: allows us to separate 3 kids and still carry a decent amount of camping gear, dog, etc. Maybe it is me, maybe it is my kids - but long trips with 3 kids in a row does not work. Have also looked for after market seats for the Pajero without luck. Interestingly, a Mitsubishi dealer indicated that they get quite a few queries on this.
AnswerID: 36088

Reply By: Old Jack - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:38

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:38
peter, I have a 2000 model jackaroo turbo diesel, was bought as an ex company car, that is I was so impressed after spending hours driving it for work I bought it for myself when the chance came up. don't worry about the vehical being run out, Isuzu makes lot's of trucks & will continuie to sell overseas (in the usa they get a 10 year driveline warranty with thier consumer laws thats showing a lot of faith in there gear). I had the option of a diesel Prado at the time but found the lack of performace very off putting, the latest model retains the same motor in an even heavyer truck than before.(one advantage is the 180lt standard fuel setup on the prado)
fuel consumption is around 10-11 litres per 100 klm most of the time, worst off road loaded up has been 13lt per 100klm. only problem I've had so far is wearing out the standard tyres(they where not much chop but after 75,000klm who cares!) lates set of AT's have no un even where and are looking good!

would I buy another one? yes but I would look carefully at the new 3.2 lt turbo diesel pajero with it's 5 speed auto.

happy hunting
Jack
AnswerID: 36089

Follow Up By: peter16 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:26

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:26
Hi Jack, Couple of weeks later and decisions is made: I went with a new Prado mainly on economy grounds (accountant driven mainly) as the deal I could get, cost of ownership, the financing and resale values all added up better than the others. As I tested and drove, I felt that the Jackeroo would also have suited my purposes well but the price difference at the end was not that great and the new Prado just drove that much better. Thanks for your advice.

Peter
FollowupID: 26971

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:24

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:24
Peter,
glad to hear you decided on a vehical, it can be a hard call when it comes to buying new, a lot of people lease and toyota give some very good deals for lease. in my own case someone else had payed the first big slug of depeciation( ex company car) over the number of years that the vehical will be kept, re-sale will be of little consiquence as the use will have been made of the investment in the vehcial. as for servicing cost I own a toyota car and oh what a feeling on parts prices(ooochhh)

I hope toyota have made some chages with the motor & gearing in the latest model, while it is a willing worker and cant be faulted what I found was it lacked the mid range punch that the jackaroo had. when loaded up on the open road on long hills while it certainly didn't struggle the jackaroo usually could hold overdrive or simply overtake the prado while you had your foot flat to the floor in the prado. torque wise on paper they where on par but the jackaroos 118kw verses the prado's 96kw shone through.I would describe neither vehical as slow but the differance in overtaking accelaration was quiet telling. As I said I came very close to buying one, the new model with it's wider wheel base and more bells and wistles looks every bit a good package. I hope you have fun taking it out and getting it dirty!

safe travelling
Jack
FollowupID: 27219

Reply By: Peter Guy - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:58

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:58
Peter I would seriously consider a Patrol over the Jackeroo, as the resale vale would be better and you get a larger fuel tank plus a sub tank. The economy is as good as any other vehicle in this category. The 3 litre turbo diesel has the auto option. however If I was you I would go for the manuel transmission with the 4.2 turbo diesel for absolute reliability. This model/configuration will always be in big demand.
The discovery will only appeal to a limited market when compared to the Toyota and Nissan. I had a Jackeroo before my Patrol and found that its resale value dropped dramatically compared to Toyotas and Nissans and it will be even worse when the general public realise that the Jackeroo is no longer available.
The Toyota you pay a higher price and get a slightly better resale value than the Nissan, so at the end of the day its about even! But the Patrol is a bigger vehicle and the way the seats fold on the Patrol for me is the better option.
As for service in my humble opinion, you should change the engine oil on any diesel every 5,000 k's irrespective of the brand, especially if it has a turbo.
AnswerID: 36093

Reply By: Big Trev - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 18:17

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 18:17
Just be aware that the newer Holden Jackeroo's diesel engine is electronic, not the old reliable pump diesel. I haven't heard of anyone being stuck by them yet. The electronic diesel engine technology has been around sonce the late '80's in trucks. I understand the new Jackeroo run Caterpillar electronic injectors along with an electronic fuel injection system. I was tempted when the first came out, but it was very hard to part with my trusty GQ/Maverick, so I didn't.
AnswerID: 36095

Reply By: Aston - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 19:02

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 19:02
peter16,

Be aware that Holden (GMH) have announced that both the Jackaroo and the Frontera are are going to cease production within the next 12mths.

Cheers Aston
AnswerID: 36101

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:58

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:58
IMHO a Toyo 100 standard diesel unit would outperform all the aforementioned models in value, servicing, economy and resale price.. but Truckster will give you his final verdict !! (he's our regular know it all !!) but of course the initial cost is a fair bit more ... but you will get what you want .. not what the advert and journo mob want to sell you ..
AnswerID: 36125

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:59

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:59
Just to confuse you a little more, I'm going to put my hand up for the discovery.

I've had my Td5 for a little over three years now(120 000km) and it hasn't missed a beat. Took it to the cape and back this year, towing a trailer and it went everywhere we wanted it to. The power and torque is up there with the best of them and the economy is better than most (10L/100km). Off road, the disco is very capable, much better than both prado in entry angles and articulation. I do believe that the jackeroo is comparible though. Resale value was never really a factor for me as I want to keep my discovery for many years to come.

In summary, when you buy a disco, you get a very capable off road vehicle as the stock standard model. The suspension, tyres etc are all set up for the more adventurous of us. Diff breathers are all ready installed.

Ask anyone who has driven a disco, the driving position is second to none.

Land rover cops a lot of S#$T especially from the toyota boys, but after my 120K of trouble free LR motoring, they will definitely see me again when I want to replace my truck.

Good luck
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 36144

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:36

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:36
I agree dolfn,
The TD5 is a great vehicle for travel. A bit quirky for some. I've tried to understand the loathing they seem to engender from people who've never ridden in one, let alone owned one. I suspect a lot of it comes from people with inferiority complexes, who need to flock with the majority to feel secure, and bolster their self esteem by picking on minority groups. I've done 90,000 in mine, and am planning a mega trip from SE NSW to Broome next year, off the beaten track.Bob
FollowupID: 26061

Follow Up By: Aston - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:32

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:32
Hi,

I agree and find it intriguing that the "people" who make comment usually are not even in the auto industry and do it without any qualifications or qualification.
I personally have been in the automotive manufacturing industry for the last 30years and find some of the comments quite funny.
especially about "landrover" the Japanese never invented anything they are great adaptors and inovators.
Look at the latest mods on Toyota, Mitsusbishi need !!
Say any more.

Where did they get it from?????

I rest my case.

Cheers Aston
FollowupID: 26106

Follow Up By: Arkay - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:23

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:23
Dolfn, would you care to comment on the DEPARTURE angle for the (series 3?) TD5.? I am thnking about changing my 1997 Jackaroo Petrol (no complaints or probs at all) for a diesel & have been looking at the specs. for Disco/Prado/Pajero.
FollowupID: 26183

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:17

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:17
Arkay,
sorry I don't know much about the series III only the pic I've seen of it maybe the prototype). They have not been to flattering to the followers of the Series II. The current model (03) is still a Series II and I believe that the departure and exit angles are slightly better than the earlier series II as the have modified the front and rear bumber setups. From what I hear, the 03 Series II is an absolute gem. Most of the minor little prob s people have complained about with the earlier models have been ironed out. If I had my time again, I would buy this model over mine. See you on our travels

H,K & A
FollowupID: 26266

Follow Up By: peter16 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:33

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:33
Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice and the info. After a couple of weeks of further research and driving etc. I ended up buying a new Prado Turbo Diesel. The choice over the Disco was driven mainly by economic grounds as the Prado was cheaper by quite a bit, and holds its value a lot better (important as I am leasing and intend to trade in at about 80K). The Disco TD5 was also great to drive, agree about the position, etc. The family voted it the best interior for longer trips although the taller teen (oh sullen one!!) could not get confortable in the high seating middle row. The Disco also got the vote for style.!!
See you around.
Peter
FollowupID: 26972

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:23

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:23
I'm a Jackaroo fan but if I was to choose now, I'd go either Pajero DiD for performance or Patrol 4.2 TD for reliability. The Patrol would probably win me over in the end.

I have a fencer working at my place and he has a 2 yr old Patrol 4.2 cab chassis and it has been absolutely faultless. His other car is a 13yr old Patrol 4.2 wagon and it has also been extremely reliable.
AnswerID: 36157

Sponsored Links