Cape York bound.

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 19:32
ThreadID: 8286 Views:2217 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to Cape York in Early June next year. I am hoping to spend a lot of time on the west coast fishing the Skardon and Pennefarther rivers. However we will have a few kids with us. My dilema is "CROCS" are we likely to come home without our kids, if so, I can replace them with the mother inlaw. No, really is there heaps of crocs, is the fishing any good, and how is the track to get to these places. Will be going in a 75 series Diesel Troopy, petrol patrol and Turbo Diesel Hilux.

Any assistance would be good.
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 19:55

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 19:55
Geoff

Keep your eyes peeled for a dark blue Landie towing a galv camper trailer. Hopefully we'll be in that neck of the woods around the same time.

As for the crocs ... no idea, but will be very interested in the responses you get.Rosco
AnswerID: 36106

Reply By: miker - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 20:22

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 20:22
Geoff,

Was there last year. The fishing was very good around the mouth of the river. Didn't have a tinnie then (since rectified) but those who did made a killing. Crocs...well what can you say...they're there and you need to be careful and respectful. We didn't see any during the day but torch light picked up the eye reflections at night as they do. We travelled with our two young daughters and made sure they were continually kept aware of being "street smart" with the big lizards eg. ALWAYS keep your eyes on the water when near it, don't turn your back etc. etc. Basically common sense. Be careful but don't be excessively intimidated.
Mike.
AnswerID: 36109

Follow Up By: Troopster - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:12

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:12
Miker
What time were you there, how deep were the creeks, were abouts did you go. I guess I'm a bit interested in every thing about Cape York. What ever you can tell me or Ross would be great. What sort of fish did you catch what sort gear where you using, how many people were camping in the area (we are kind of trying to get away from the crowds.
Thanks heaps for your previous reply.
Geoff.
FollowupID: 26039

Follow Up By: miker - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:22

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:22
Geoff,

Sorry about not coming back but I don't get at regular intervals due to work. Hey, do yourself a fovour and get Ron and Viv Moons book on cape York if you don't already have it. Very informative. We spent six weeks up there and and it was a great adventure. My other half who doesn't share my passion for the bush was totally taken with the whole trip as were the kids. Time over again I'd spend more time up around the "Tip" Bamaga, Muttee Heads (mouth of the Jardine River) and Sommerset. You'll have a ball. Don't drown your 4B as I did.

Mike.
FollowupID: 26216

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 20:42

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 20:42
When it comes to crocs just use your common sence, stay in shallow water or stick with the locals, they know where you can swim.

Just remember an old saying i got from Darwin -

"you never see the one that gets you "

That has always kept me on my toes !
AnswerID: 36112

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:53

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:53
On your way up north take youself and the kids to a Nature Park just south of Townsville,( can't think of the name of it) they will explain how crocs think and work, and you will come out very croc wise. Jen
AnswerID: 36124

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 23:31

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 23:31
"Billabong Sanctuary"
FollowupID: 26051

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:44

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:44
Thats it, Brian, You have hit the nail on the head. Thanks Jen
FollowupID: 26108

Reply By: Meggs - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:33

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:33
Geoff don't get too paranoid about the croc's. I had my first trip to the gulf area this year and I was concerned about croc's so I read all the information I could about them. One thing you will have to be very careful about is the kids as they look small to a croc and you look big so they will pick the easy meal first.
As far as the local go I was fishing from the bank in the Gilbert River and I was told there were only freshies there but I found a 3m saltie very interested in my fishing. At Walker creek there is a well used swimming rope in a tree no more than 10m from a croc warning sign, I also saw the same at the Glenore weir. There is an old saying "if you can catch Barramundi there will be croc's there". If you have a boat you will see heaps on them on the mudbanks at low tide but they will be very spooky and will be in the water long before you can get anywhere near them.
One of the best places to go to see croc's is the the Kawana Crocodille farm in Rockhampton. They have some very large unsociable crocs there in individual pools. Have the kids try and spot the crocs there and wait until they are fed and see the size of them and how far a large croc can come out of the water for a feed and keep at least that far back from the banks. Billabong sanctury is good but for big croc's you can't beat Kawana.
My fishing was more in the southern area Norman, Walker Creek, Bynoe, Gilbert and at Cape Melville Muck creek.
Don't fish of a night time as they can see a lot better than you.
AnswerID: 36181

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:48

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:48
If you are going to the Skadon River by boat its a long trip from the Pennefarther, and you would want a big boat.

If you are planning to go by road, check first as it may still be closed due to mining.
AnswerID: 36184

Sponsored Links