Border Track

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:45
ThreadID: 8288 Views:1345 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been down this track in the last few weeks?... Is it open all the way and what condition is it in?
Are all the sand dunes still available to cross and have they filled in all the deep holes?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:10

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:10
Check the archives...some forumites did the track a few weeks backWillem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 36147

Reply By: Tom78 - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 18:24

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 18:24
Duke I went down the border track earlier in the month. It was open then and not a bad trip. Most of the big holes were fenced off and any that were not had other tracks around them. Wasn't bad though even though most of the good hills have been "fenced off for revegitiation"
AnswerID: 36209

Follow Up By: Duke-Attie - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:29

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:29
Are any of the dunes still challenging? and how many large ones were open... i counted 11 dunes last year which were car stoppers....
FollowupID: 26121

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:14

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:14
There are actually 2 "parts" to the Border Track. South from the Mildura/Renmark road to Pinnaroo, and South from Pinnaroo towards Bordertown. These are rather different, the first being relatively easy (I towed a camper trailer Northwards up that a few weeks ago, camped at the Shearers Shed campground - beautiful). Prior to that went for a day trip South throught Northern Ngarkat centre track. The second Border Track can be somewhat harder, with some sections North/South only, but even after the rain earlier that week one group of 6 vehicles I met at Pinnaroo said it was OK (ha dbeen closed earlier in the week). Ngarkat & Scorpion Springs etc. are looked after by the National Parks & Wildlife rangers at Lameroo. They are really helpful, have free maps/newslpaper etc. Have all the details at home (phone Nos. etc) , not at work/lunch here. There is also an EXCELLENT book by 2 local ladies, school teachers who marries local farmers, go history, local family stories/legends, flora & fauna, about 16 detailed mud maps etc., of the area. Called Murray Tracks or similar, costs abot $30 but well worth it. If want more info email robk@vondebt.com.au and I'll look it up.
AnswerID: 36293

Sponsored Links