<span class="highlight">Antenna</span> for Wireless Broadband

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 19:19
ThreadID: 82965 Views:3413 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Re wireless broadband, any feed back about antenna's will be greatly appreciated.
Wanting a dual frequency to suit both Telstra and Optus?? Would like flexibility, say a magnetic base, so we can use it both in the van and the car.

Thanks
Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 20:14

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 20:14
You can buy off Telstra a RFI multiband aerial which goes on the bull bar.

If you are away from the East Coast you wont have to worry about Optus

MY little Maxon BP3 home gateway did us right around Australia

Was far better than the USB models and only cost $36 off Fleebay.

Will go in the car if you modify the connecting cable as it runs off a 240 -12 v stepdown

AnswerID: 438392

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 20:19

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 20:19
In the country, where you will need an antenna, Optus uses 900mhz and Telstra uses 850Mhz.

Most antennas will be suitable for one or the other of these and while there may be antennas that suit both, they generally won't be as high gain.

If you really need wireless broadband to the point where you need an antenna there is only one answer. Get a 6db 850mhz antenna and a Telstra service.
AnswerID: 438394

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 20:34

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 20:34
Wayne

Been a lot of discussion on this in earlier threads, including some regarding the Aussie Little Devil antennas. Worth a search of Exploroz threads and a look at the LD website http://www.ldantennas.com.au/

Cheers
AnswerID: 438398

Follow Up By: guy007 - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 21:32

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 21:32
Hi Wayne and Gaby
We use a Little Devil Omni Antenna. Can have a magnetic base and is compact.
We use this with our mobile Telstra phone and a Netcom Elite Gateway on 12v to give us internet on the move. It actually is our home internet that we take with us. Works a treat !
Guy
FollowupID: 710138

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 21:39

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 21:39
You would be flat out trying to find a ferrous metal piece large enough for the magnetic base to stick to on most vans, the drawbar or bumper isn't really high enough. I use a 5m 25mm aluminium tube with a building ant cap (300mm square gal sheet) on an angle bracket on the top to take the magnetic base. The post is mounted on the rear bumper of the van with a tube and clamp bolt when camped. works well in marginal areas.
AnswerID: 438403

Reply By: Member - Barry (NT) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 22:11

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 22:11
WE have used a Telstra antennae (about 1.2m long - they sell em) on the van A frame into our old Maxon BP3 modem,, for 3 years around oz except WA and Tassie to date

I have a 25 mm square camping tent pole attached to the A frame with a standard screw on clamp (the one that clamps the squae tube to A frame)

the tip of the antennae is just above the van,,, only once about 20km east of Uluru (parked behind sand dunes) have I had to rasie it higher

others are amazed at the places we get wireless broadband,,, at quite reasonable speeds too

antennae cost about $150 SA recently,, I just bought another for mobile phone and will mount on bullbar,,,

RFI brand CD2195 6.5db gain and cover 3G850 and GSM900 networks,,

you could ring around or google

hope this helps

cheers Barry

AnswerID: 438405

Follow Up By: Member - Barry (NT) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 22:15

Thursday, Dec 09, 2010 at 22:15
searched internet ,,

CD 2195 now priced down to $100 odd $ if you shop on line (I didn't as needed a phone patch cord also)
FollowupID: 710142

Reply By: roberttbruce - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:22

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:22

don't forget to make the relevant aerial hack on the inside of the box...

Probably the first time it falls over, the internal aerial breaks free of the glue holding it and it falls and/or sits askew in the box....
Problem is unless the aerial is set very perpenditcular to the sky the reception gets very very lousy...

this is for the Telstra Elite Home Network Gateway Modem/Router/Printerserver/USB with the 4 ports & wireless - you know, the newish one that stands up, but it falls over so easy I call it "humpty-dumpty"...

For that model the main and aux aerial processing chip is split in some manner... The aux aerial is only capable of yielding 50% of the available signal IF the chip detects signal on it first, otherwise it contributes nothing... this is or something and another...

When I first got the new modem it had lousy reception, so i got the aerial, it still had lousy reception, so i searched whirlpool and up came the aerial hack - youll have to find the thread for your model yourself, use the initials of the modem's name to find stuff....

It is now excellent..

i shaved 20ms of my ping to the GAservers, ping now averages 39ms

best sigs are
Strength: -42 (dBm)
Quality(Ec/Io) -2.0 dB
Received Signal Code Power(RSCP) -56 dBm

fastest download has been 921KB/Second and that was a rural tower...

BUT i havnt setup in a CDB yet... who knows, i may just get 4-5 MB/Second and shave another 20ms off the ping...

AnswerID: 438429

Follow Up By: roberttbruce - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:28

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:28
forgot to mention..
i went through one tio complaint and two of these new modems in four months before i opened the box...
2 screws to open the box...
workout and remove the main aerial plug...
replace it with the aux aerial plug...
take about two minutes, is fully reversable...
probably blows your warranty...

FollowupID: 710165

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:27

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:27
We had our BP 3 sitting on the mudgaurd roll under the table in the van and had no trouble connecting anywhere there was signal.

In fact it connected in places our phones wouldnt without the RFI aerial.

Never ever shifted it in the whole lap.

Bought this after having endless trouble with the USB models Telstra used.

FollowupID: 710193

Follow Up By: roberttbruce - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:01

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:01
i remember reading about how you have it under the table and get good reception everywhere, it struck me as very unusual, a-freak-of-reception i call it...

there are other freaks-of-reception i know about, eg at Barmera SA. i stay on a block next to a very big shed... i had the BP blue-toaster modem then but for some reason I was getting better reception there than in adelaide cbd...

i dont understand wireless transmission all that well but aparently, the aerial makes a field or "ball" above the modem and this is what does the reception moreso than the aerial...

even with my new rig, in one area of trees and hills of northern NSW, i have to tie it to my surf-rod for a bit of extra height...

Honestly Graham, I recon you've got something going on freaky with the materials or paint used to do your van that aids your modem....

The big test would be if you visited Teewah beach. About half-way up to DI and amongst the "patio" campsites i could not get reception with my last two good modems...even phone reception is non-existant unless one climbs the rear dunes...this may have changed by now but i doubt it....

What model of modem do you have GT? i would like to consider that model for my next modem..
FollowupID: 710200

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:16

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:16
Nothing special about a Coromal other than maybe the aluminium is thinner LOL

It also workd fine in the Roadstar.

Wheres Teewah?????

The modem is a Maxon BP-3 home modem and is the origiinal blue "Toaster"
modem Its slow but works everywhere Have a new Testra Gateway
for home use which is "okay".

FollowupID: 710203

Follow Up By: roberttbruce - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:41

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:41
gosh, so it is Old Blue that gives you the service - ive still got mine as a spare, will have to run it for a month to see how it goes with the aerial...download speed isnt that important, more-so the qualirty of the connection is

Teewah is north of Noosa and the first beach that makes up part of the fraser coast...recpetion is ok in some areas but drops once one gets to the "patio camp-sites"...
FollowupID: 710207

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 16:21

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 16:21
I guess an outside aerial may help but we never needed it

Have the RFI 1925?? multiband on the car and it gave an extra 3 bars in fringe areas on the Nokia 6120.

Enabled us to talk 50k out of Carnarvon when coming from the north

Well worth while

FollowupID: 710239

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 16:21

Friday, Dec 10, 2010 at 16:21
Correction 2195

FollowupID: 710240

Sponsored Links