Robe SA

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:45
ThreadID: 8298 Views:2449 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am planning a quick 4 day trip to Robe in SA in the next 2-3 weeks, if anyone has been there any tip's/suggestions would be appreciated.

I am planning on setting up camp around the Long Gully/Little Dip area. Is this area an official camp ground with facilities ? Weather this time of year ? Any gotcha's ?

Would this type of trip be suitable for a BMW X5 (not that I have one but a mate does !). After reading Ron Moon's book about this area it appears to have some challenging beach driving.

Thanks
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:00

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:00
depends what recovery gear you have, the x5 would bog down in the soft sand, but a bigger rescue vehicle and a couple of snatchies should make for a fun tripLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 36160

Reply By: baza - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:36

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:36
Was there about 5 weeks ago. The beaches were very soft, I wouldn't attempt driving the beach sections on your own unless there are some fresh tracks that you have a good look at first. You will have no problems in the dunes behind the beach, but expect some light scratching from the scrub (maybe not so good on an X5). Great area.
AnswerID: 36189

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:40

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:40
I always stay off the beaches at Robe because one bay will be fine the other will swallow you hole. The best bet if you want sand driving is to go on down to Nora Crienna go through the gate which is OK to do but drive slowly or you will upset the shack owners. Go down to stinky bay beach ( you will know you have the right one) From the end of there you enter the sandhill area which will take you all the way to Beachport. Much better driving as you have a choice of beach, first row of dunes or miles of dunes. Make sure you take your bearings because after a few hours of play you can get lost and dis -orientatedWe have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 36190

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 18:43

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 18:43
Phil

Have a look at 4wd_out_of_adelaide website. Search it.
Search this ExplorOz site.

In Little Dip Conservation Park:
Long Gully & Stoney Rise have good facilities including dunnies. Stoney Rise campsite is very sheltered. Old Man Salt Lake & The Gums are more basic campsites.

X5 may also have clearance issues as well as owners being more sensitive to scratches.

Some beaches could be no go areas following high tides & near gale force winds.

CheersRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 36212

Follow Up By: Phil P - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:35

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:35
Might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.

If it's a beach camping area & 4wd area, where do the scratches come from ?
FollowupID: 26107

Follow Up By: Duke-Attie - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:25

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:25
the overhanging shrubs and tree branches across the tracks through the dunes.....
and i agree with the fact that some of the beaches can almost swallow you whole......
there are actually some soft sand warning signs saying that there will be expensive recovery costs if you are stuck because you will normally be racing against a rapidly rising waterline if you are stuck.....

but having said that we normally travel as much beach inbetween beachport and robe as we can and have been stuck quite a few times.....
FollowupID: 26117

Reply By: Brendon - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:25

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:25
Great 4X4 driving and heaps of fun. Safe with a bit of care and knowledge about driving in heavy sand. Torture for the unprepared, and take it slow. Been going there for over 30 years and pulled people out of some pretty bad spots. Most beaches are driveable, some are pretty challenging. Keep tyre pressures down, we normally run 15-18PSI until in trouble, then drop a bit more. Snatch strap and good length extension a must. If you take care, most of the scrub is fairly harmless but will lightly scratch, especially dark colored cars. Polish will fix most of it. Bigger cars are more of a problem. Sand drifts can change things overnight, especially after a typical Robe wind. Wind is normal for Robe! Flag is a good idea to let others see you. Seen a few close calls; head-on over blind crests. If your mate doesn't mind a few light scratches on his X5, give it a go. You can always pull him out. There are enough easy sections that he will have a ball anyway. Have fun.
AnswerID: 36243

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:34

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:34
Some serious soft sand......drive along the base line of the dunes. I dropped my pressures down to 15 psi on splits, selected third low and cruised the beaches. Did a solo trip and did not get bogged...but then again....I had a good run. All tracks had been obliterated by the previous night's wind and there were a few serious dune blowouts which had to be driven with care. Beachport has some good dunes to play on. Have fun...and you will scratch you vehicle!!
Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 36254

Reply By: Rhubarb - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:20

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:20
Something to keep in mind about the X5 is the low profile tyres. From reports I have read they struggle in soft sand as they don't get the floatation that your average 4WD tyre will when you drop the pressure.
AnswerID: 36271

Reply By: Drifter007 - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:24

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:24
Phil

I was at Robe / Beachport myself 2 weeks ago (solo) very high tides on many of the steep beaches but if you pick your time you can drive them, need to drop tyres to 15 PSI on the softer sand.

Many of the the tracks had virgin sand drifts, so be prepared to get out and explore on foot before blindly driving over dunes.

I have not posted picks from my latest trip but have a look at this page in the meantime.

www.members.austarmetro.com.au/~colinjon/trips.htm

Regards
Drifter...
AnswerID: 36295

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:20

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:20
I was there yesterday for the long weekend.. SOFT SAND at the moment on the beaches...

Very capable 4wds were getting stuck, including Patrols, cruisers, Rangies on 35 ATs the lot. X5 would be a joke IMHO.

Some of the ruts on the back tracks, and hills off the beach were soft, young bloke in a GQ shorty with BFG ATs couldnt getover until he finally let his tires down to 12psi... then cruised over...

An X5 would be nice to drive there on the tar in, but leave it in the caravan park.
AnswerID: 36305

Reply By: Phil P - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 16:13

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 16:13
Thanks for the feedback, the X5 driver can't make it so at this stage it's 2 Patrols & a Disco.
AnswerID: 36416

Sponsored Links