Sand dune driving on Moreton?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:46
ThreadID: 8299 Views:1976 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if it is possible to drive on any of the sand dunes on Moreton Island any more? We are heading over this weekend and I have a feeling that they have made it illegal to do it, so if anyone knows could they let me know.

Has anyone been over there in the last week or so? I would like to know what the driving, fishing and weather condidtions are like at the moment.

Thanks,

Charlie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:57

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:57
Haven't been there for a while, but it's not a good idea.
If there's any vegetation involved you'll have me to deal with + the rangers + most anyone else on the island.Rosco
AnswerID: 36186

Follow Up By: charlie - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:53

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:53
Thought that might be the case, however thought if the sand blows were extensive enough and adequate access was available might be like the open dunes in SA. I keep the ideals of tread lightly close to heart so there is no need to worry.

In expansive (unvegetated) sand blows or mini deserts wind errosion causes much more sediment transport than what 4wd's can and most often covers up the tracks of fourbies in the following couple of days. Four wheels drives may cause tracks on open dunes but they do not transport the sand away from the system to any measureable degree.

Charlie
FollowupID: 26140

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:11

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:11
Very true Charlie.

Apparently Wabby Lake on Fraser is expected to disappear in 70 years.
Don't think that will worry any of us but it'll be a shame for it to go.Rosco
FollowupID: 26152

Reply By: Prado Boy - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 20:06

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 20:06
Charlie,
Moreton is 98% National Park. The Rangers there are a great crew but they take a very dim view of people driving on Sand Dunes and I believe you are correct in that it has been banned. I would advise against it.
Years ago it was an accepted practice to go for a spin on the big dune systems down the southern end of the island - but you won't find people doing it today. If you want to experience the dunes - enjoy them with a good walk.
I haven't been over in way too long - so can't help with conditions. Do know that the weather is not meant to be brilliant this weekend though - so take the rain gear and check the tents before leaving...
Have a great time over there - another of Queenslands magic spots!
Cheers,
Prado Boy
AnswerID: 36219

Sponsored Links