Standard 80 Series with 3F petrol/gas - OK?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:39
ThreadID: 8316 Views:15321 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the market for a family 4x4 wagon to replace my Series 2A landrover which while it has a certain charm doesnt have the level of safety and on-road (or off road) comfort for my growing family. I was primarily seeking a 4.2 Diesel GQ Patrol but came accross a 1991 80 series petrol Standard Wagon with 225000 km for $14,500. Its a private sale, one lady owner for the last 5 years. Its a 3F petrol with an lpg conversion. Until I saw this vehicle, I wasnt even aware that some Standards came with a petrol motor. Its definitly a Standard, Vinyl front bench seat, rear barn doors, part time 4WD, white paint, no flares, no tacho etc. I know the 3F has a reputation for being thirsty but the lady selling it says she gets about 300km from the 70 litre lpg tank which considering the price of gas (39 cpl) would be slightly better or about the same as diesel economy. The lpg tank has replaced the main tank and the sub tank remains. It seems to drive well, (similar torque to the patrol/cruiser diesels but better pickup) and I cant see any rust. There's a slight whine in 5th gear under load and the change to second and third is notchy and requires a bit of effort on the lever, but I wouldnt describe it as a 'crunch'. It will be used primarily for beach work and towing my camper trailer and 14' tinny. I suspect the petrol will probably go better on the beach than than a diesel? Some comments on whether this vehicle seems like good value would be appreciated. On my budget I'm restricted to high mileage diesels and I'm somewhat worried by the potential cost if something goes wrong with a diesel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:44

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:44
You may want to speak to 4.L Owners that are not trying to sell there car to you , They are very thirsty , and power , well there isn't any , towing is also a no no . Everyone I know that has one , wants to update to a diesel or 4.5 LVenus Bay
AnswerID: 36232

Reply By: ross - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:26

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:26
The notchy feeling between 2/3 gear is probably the synchronisers and is common problem at that mileage.You mentioned that you are on a budget so I would look for a HJ 62 turbo diesel. Im sure you could find a much loved well cared for landcruiser in that price range after all they would only be a year or two older than the version your looking at.The engines in these are good for 500000 klms if looked after.
Eric is correct,these are not the best of the 80 series.
AnswerID: 36236

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:13

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:13
Hi Mark,

I bought a 1985 troopy about 6 months ago with the 3F motor. We bought this because we wanted an old cheap 4x4 to see if we really liked offroad touring. WE LOVE IT!!! Love Exploroz too :-) Well, I've been told by the wife that the next car we buy is another landcruiser, much younger and DIESEL.

ANYWAY... The 3F motor is simple and reliable. Yes, it is thirsty, and yes a diesel would be much better for towing and long distance travels. If you are looking landcruiser, look for a properly serviced engine and look VERY CAREFULLY for rust. High mileage diesel is not a problem is it has been cared for.

Have Fun...
Michael
AnswerID: 36240

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:06

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:06
Mark,

I'd get it checked over very carefully before taking the plunge, preferably by someone who knows petrol LC's. A petrol motor thats done 225,000 is bound to be getting tired. That's fine and I understand you're on a budget but nothing like unforseen expensive repairs to blow that budget sky high. Better to get it checked and go into it with your eyes open.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 36280

Reply By: mudgutz - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:25

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:25
hey hey eric and all the rest of you 3f knockers......i agree if he can get the 4.5 injected at the same money hes better off because of the 165 kw and about 405nm....well gob loads of torque its got ...but i would argue that my 3f gets better economy than the 4.5 efi is it 1fe or 1fz.....all day........ive driven heaps of 4.5s from work and whilst they gozard tell me that you can get better than 19l/100km
even running empty on the highway at 100kms/hour and i will fall out of this chair laughing at you cause it just aint possible......my old 3f in a 75 got 16.5 l/100 km on my last run to brisbane at 100km/hr with a light load on about 300kgs..i will admit you have to keep the 3f well tuned and keep light pressure on the right foot to get good economy but it can be done..whereas with the 80/100s series 4.5.......i just couldnt do it no matter what i did......and i will still argue that an old 3f at 110kw.....is way better than the 70kw or so he will get from a 2h in a good 60 which he can afford.....wait till he gets on the highway with the 2h......he will hate it..at 14500 bucks he will be hard pressed to get an 80 with a 1hz which is still a slug my old 75 3f blows the doors off them.....i reckon all tojo diesels should just have a ripping big turbo standard.
my advice look for a 92 and onwards (thats when 4.5efi came in to them) 80 series auto.. perfect tow vehicle...hunt hard mate you will find one out there somewhere for your budget......mark if your worried about fuel economy buy a camry...........my friend theres no such thing as cheap motoring when you own a cruiser...
AnswerID: 36283

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:12

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:12
The only problem i have with what you stated , is that most 4x4 trips are not done with a light load . On a recent trip we went on , a frind was towing a lighter boat than I was in his 4 litre cruiser. He used almost twice the fuel that I used , both cars have done similar kms and both are well tuned . We had to slow down and wait for him at the top of most hills also. I understand that budget sometimes has a lot to do witht he choises we make. If I had to choose between a 4 L cruiser and a 4.2L Patrol . I would choose the patrol any day . In the choise between a 4.5 L cruiser and a 93 onwards Patrol , I would go the cruiser anyday.

Just my opinion anywayVenus Bay
FollowupID: 26249

Reply By: tour boy - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 15:06

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 15:06
the 3f is a great motor cheap to rebuild and lasts forever as they don't rev hard as other petrols up to 400,000 km easy if looked after (similar to a diesel). If you change the points every 9000km,( $7) and advance the timing until it pings then retard it just enough to stop pinging you will get as good as 11-12 litres per hundred.(had several of them)also a holly carb if you feel like it but not necessary. somthing to chew over anyway.
AnswerID: 36299

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 00:58

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 00:58
i agree with timing advance a little thats how i got my fuel economy down along with extractors and soon i will be getting rid of the clutch fan in favour of thermos. i tried a holley and hated it they are not designed to be on an angle of any sorts and found the thing to flood or hunt for fuel on a hill climb at angles i just ended up getting a little bigger jet for the stock carby
FollowupID: 26260

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 15:48

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 15:48
Gday
I bought one of these cruisers 3 months ago for 7.5k, with 1 month rego.
It was a GXL 5 speed. Also saw one like your looking at on ebay for 10k not that long ago.
The later 4.5 is the one to look for and i see examples for 16k getting round here (93 gxl 5 speed) They love gas and dont suffer from low power on gas.
The gas was notorious for burning valves in the 3f, and the power was down compared to the 4.5 aswell as having smaller brakes compared to the 4.5.
I suppose im saying beware, they are all good bodywise, the std petrol was deleted not long after it was introduced, and had no sub tank (in the rear) but only the main underneath.
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 36302

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:18

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:18
Dozer to purchase a 3 l 80 series for 6 to 10 K , it would have to be over 300.000 kms or a dog . Most I see are around 9 to 14 k in a GXL and thats for something around 200,000 kms anyway . The Patrol i agree , you can find them as cheep as 7 k in good condition . In your coments on the 4.5 , you are correct , they are starting to come in at around 15 or 16 k , for around 230,000 km GXL's
cheers Venus Bay
FollowupID: 26250

Sponsored Links