Insurance

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:45
ThreadID: 8320 Views:1898 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can't go past www.budgetdirect.com.au for cheap insurance. Just a thought !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landie - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:52

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:52
Cheap and quality rarely go hand in hand these days. If they are that much cheaper you have to ask why.

I'm not suggesting that they are not reputable insurer's but I only feels it is worth looking past the hip pocket when it comes to insurance matters.

Just a thought
Landie
AnswerID: 36263

Follow Up By: Damien - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:12

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:12
True !

I think they act as brokers etc and they fish-out the best deal for you. I guess you have to read the fine print with all cover particularly when going off road. The savings I came up with compared with a quote from NRMA was up to $1K saving for a 94 4Runner.........although I haven't singed anything yet !
FollowupID: 26156

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:18

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:18
One reason they are cheap is that they only offer it to those who have a good claims history (ie lack of claims). They reckon they have a very good record in minimising the level of claims and can thus pass on the savings to us.
Someone mentioned Elders - we tried them and they basically said they couldn't compete unless we also took out other insurance. Apparently they are cheap for those on the land who have other insurances with them. The quote they gave us for a Cruiser certainly confirmed their lack of competitiveness.
We are with Budget but as we haven't had a claim I can't comment on what they are like from that angle.
FollowupID: 26182

Follow Up By: Brimo - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 16:19

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 16:19
Budgetdirect was 50 bucks or so cheaper (356 against 407) on a rating 1 gu patrol with 65% no claim however, I spent a bloody long time on the phone plus emails with them trying to iron out a glitch on their on line quote. When that was finally sorted had another 20-30 mins going through the "twenty questions" only to find that as I had had a driving infringement in the last 5! years I needed to provide them with details of date and type of infringement etc. What!, spend another half hour on the phone to dept of transport, I dont think so. The time taken probably cost me the fifty bucks I would have saved.That plus the unreasonable conditions and excess for a younger driver (should I be lucky enough to find one) threw me straight back to NRMA with who (whom?) I have never had a problem.

ahhh.....that's better, got that out of the system:-)

any way the point of this is, is it worth the hassles you might have to save a couple of bucks? I quote from the reply above"....they have a very good track record on minimising the amount of claims.." how?

Love Brimo (not sponsored by NRMA)
FollowupID: 26436

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 19:02

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 19:02
Perhaps you should question ( with these cheaper agencies) where are you covered. I have heard that some agencies only cover you while you are on a gazetted road !!. Not much fun for an off road vehicle. I found out through my insurance that i am covered fully unless doing extreme offroading ( insurance through Westpac-Sun Alliance ). Worth looking at. I pay around $650/yr for a Patrol @ full no claim bonus.
Cheers and cold beers
Clarky
FollowupID: 26450

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:05

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:05
If you are after insurance try Elders (through their Brizzy office). No crap and straight down the line. $770, rating 2, moderate risk suburb, Kia Sportage. Vs $1200(!!!) RACV and NRMA.
AnswerID: 36270

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:08

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:08
I was pleasently surprised by "Insurers hotline" ph 1300858747 for their very competitive rates for my Patrol and wifes Mazda Metro. At least 20% cheaper than Western QBE with whom I had been with for over 20 years.
Have had to claim a glass breakage recently and it was a breeze to sort. No paper work either!!
I'm in WA and they are a Qld company but they are easier to deal with than our local insurance offices.
AnswerID: 36316

Sponsored Links