Rear stabiliser.... when to release it?

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 20:02
ThreadID: 8329 Views:2632 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

im fairly new to 4wding and was wondering what situations require the release of the rear stabiliser? i drive a 1990 GQ and it has never been released once... the manual says it should ony be released for 'extreme offroad use'. is this their way of saying release it only when you are offroad or does it literally mean some sort of cliffhanging situation? in what sort of situations should i use it? and if it has never been used once in its 12 years, is it safe to disengage?

any help would be really appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TonyY - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 21:12

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 21:12
The stabiliser, or swaybar, is a device which basically helps to stiffen the suspension when cornering, thus reducing body roll. So it is a handling (and therefore safety) aid. Many vehicles simply don't have them, mine doesn't. The disadvantage is that they can limit suspension travel a little. The effect is not great but might be noticed during more extreme 4wding. Thus the reason for the disconnect.

Some people just remove the swaybars altogether but you might run into insurance/legal hassles if you have an accident. Also you would notice more body roll on-road which might annoy you.

So I would use the disconnect off-road, for slow 4wding where wheel travel is important. Fast driving on gravel etc best to leave it connected.

If it hasn't ever been used then it might be worth having the mechanism checked out, it might disengage and then not reengage if there is corrosion or crud buildup.
AnswerID: 36337

Reply By: Kerry from We us and company - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 22:13

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 22:13
Hi Rino
Dont worry about this feature till you start getting stuck on steep offcamber situations. Then consider what the problem is and start experimenting.
The disengagement of the rear stabiliseron the GQ Patrol is for extreme situations when you lose traction because rear wheels wheels lift off the ground.
Dont bother with the feature unless your offroading ability is compromised because one wheel lifts off the ground and spins (which it wont anyway if the LSD is working
properly - see previous posts on Patrol LSDs)) You will find that your shockies may run out of travel before the rear stabiliser does.
Bot of a gimmick unless you have a decent lift and long travel shocks as Patrols are quite capable when standard and have excellent articulation. (wheel travel)
If you are new to extreme 4wd-ing YOU will run out of nerve long before the Patrol reaches its limitations.

Hope this saves you some worry

all the best
Kes
AnswerID: 36343

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:40

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:40
Go out and play...

Find some ruts, and try them with and without. you will be suprised with the difference.

extreme ... if your doing 'extreme' 4wding, you would have removed the swaybars to start with!

I used to release it whenever I hit the dirt... doesnt hurt to, and works.

You may find if you never used it it will be seized.
AnswerID: 36380

Sponsored Links