eveyone's fridges performance

Submitted: Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 833 Views:2571 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
just curious as to what everyone's fridges performance is like ie: how long does it run for under "normal" operating conditions when temp is say over 30'
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Doug - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00
We have just purchased a new Engel 60 litre. We are extremely happy with same. It freezes very quickly when turned up high. had to use it when the household freezer broke down. We did a lot of research before purchasing this and it appears to be the best value for money.
AnswerID: 2340

Follow Up By: Pete - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks doug,
What sort of running time do you get from the engel, Pete
FollowupID: 842

Reply By: Kevin Phillips - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

Unfortunately the answer is - it depends. Depends on average current draw of fridge, battery, internal car temperature and fridge setting. In the type of conditions you asked about (e.g. Kalumburu in August), my 55 litre BushBoy regularly lasted about 18 hours from 4PM off a regular N70ZZ starting battery, car parked in the shade, and the fridge set to a reasonably cool temperature. Same fridge, same car, same battery, same setting, but outside temperature in low 20's (Snowy Mts in November) and I can get about 40 hours from the fridge.

AnswerID: 2341

Reply By: Kev - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

Pete i run a 60l Trailblazer all over Australia and have never had any trouble keeping the beer cold even in 40+ desert sun in winter my deep cycle battery will last about 3 and a half days in summer about a day and half depending on how hot it is but im usually driving down the track and not sitting around for long.
AnswerID: 2350

Reply By: Mal - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:00
I have a Bushman (35 litre). We have an insulating cover to match. I have a Dual battery system with the second battery of 90ah for use with just the fridge. We use the fridge as a freezer set to minus 15 degrees. We twice daily swap out 4 sheets of techni ice into an esky which we use for milk and the like.
Provided the battery is fully charged we get up to 2 days without having to go for a long drive (6 hours) if the weather is mid to high 20's. If it is a bit hotter (30 +), then 1.5 days.
We work the Bushman pretty hard, and we are pleased with peformance. I believe it is value for money. We paid $899 for the unit including the external power pack and $120 for the cover. This was at the time the equivalent Engel was $1299, plus cover $150 and the Engel needed a $99 spring base as well.
Rgds,
Mal
AnswerID: 2361

Reply By: Craig - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:00
I get about 3 days usage from my 90 AH deep cycle battery under such conditions. I have an Engel 40 litre with insulated cover. I also turn the fridge down each evening. I run a 40watt Solarex solar panel which puts up to 2.34 amps into the aux. battery and also charge the aux. battery from the alternator when driving. With this set up i have never had a flat battery, even after extended camping stays of up to 2 or 3 weeks.
AnswerID: 2372

Reply By: Bill - Saturday, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:00
My God Pete these people must have money to burn!! I use a 3way Finch in my Range Rover. No dual battery needed and no need to run the car every day. Works a treat, even in hot tropical weather and I can stay in one spot for weeks with a bottle of gas. Best of all I bought it for $100 second hand 10 years ago and it needs no "add ons" like the extra insulation needed on Engels. Amazing isn't it that Engel can produce a fridge that needs an insulating bag??? Something like a tent that needs a fly to be waterproof!!
AnswerID: 2408

Follow Up By: Blackie - Sunday, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:00
Geez Bill!!! your reply verges on the sacreligous.This forum has volumes of information and opinion
on the whys and wherefores of portable fridge/ freezes and you've just about shot the lot of them.
You'll be telling us next that we probably could get by with that commodore station wagon we traded
in on the 4WD.
Don't ant of you start writing nasty replies to me either my tongue is in my cheek in you didn't realise.
FollowupID: 870

Reply By: Nigel - Sunday, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:00
We have a EvaKool and with it's 40mm insulation we rarely turn it above mimimum and never above 2 (out of 7). If the night is cool then we turn it off completely. We get 2-3 days out of our 90ah deep cycle battery. The trick is to charge a deep cycle off a mains charger before a trip.
AnswerID: 2415

Reply By: Cod Hunter - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
I have had a Chescold frdge freezer 3 way for about 7 years and have had no problems freezing meat etc in any season / past summer temps reached 40C but Chescold handled conditons easily . I have camped at the one spot for about a month and the Chescold was still running from the same bottle of gas .
AnswerID: 2446

Reply By: rod hine - Thursday, Apr 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 11, 2002 at 00:00
Pete, I have a 60lt Trailblazer and go camping often, it a top fridge, I suggest having a look at 4wd australia accessories guide on page 45 it give a write up on most fridges if you have any questons regarding the Trailblazer ring Norcoast Refrigation in Coulandra for more facts, all the best.
AnswerID: 2766

Follow Up By: Pete - Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Rod,
Ive had a Liemack fridge for a couple of months & just couldnt get it running properly despite all the help from the manufacturer.After a lot more consideration I thought the trailblazer was my next best bet so i'm now looking at one of those.Can you provide any info re: run times & your battery set-up? kind regards, pete
FollowupID: 1071

Reply By: Ming - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Pete, what kind of problems did you have with your a Liemack fridge? I was thinking of buying one. Is that a bad idea?
AnswerID: 2928

Follow Up By: Pete - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Oops,sorry ming see response below , that i sent to myself, pete
FollowupID: 1302

Reply By: Pete - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
G'day ming.
The Liemack I had would not shut off properly when batteries were low or it would shut off at the desired voltage , but then start up again & drain the remaining power leaving me with flat batteries.The manufacturer claimed this was a problem with the wiring but i had this checked & mucked around with countless times & when the liemack people checked my cars wiring they said i must have had a problem with my alternator.The alternator was checked by 3 different auto electricians & no-one could find anything wrong & everyone stated they couldnt understand how this was affectinfridges performance when we knew we were always starting with fully charged batteries.Its been very frustrating as I believe the Liemack is the best fridge around & I'm actually thinking about giving them another go as after a years research I cant find any other that match up interms of features quality & construction.
Ps the fridgeworked great when it was working properly but it was annoying to be left with flat batteries out in the bush.
Good luck, Pete
AnswerID: 3223

Follow Up By: Ming - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info Pete. I ordered the 90L DT fridge from Rod (the NSW distributor), but as it turns out he was unable to supply due to
some disagreement he is having with Liemack. For me, that tipped the balance, and I have now ordered an Explorer DC95 instead. It costs
a bit more but is apparently a good fridge. We'll see when I get it. FYI: Their web site is www.explorerfridge.aunz.com
I have no experience with Liemacks but have you tried increasing the shut off voltage a bit ? Good luck in your quest for
the ultimate fridge. Ming.
FollowupID: 1349

Sponsored Links