Swags

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:03
ThreadID: 83368 Views:4501 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning on purchasing a new SWAG for a 4x4 trip around the centre of OZ.
Any Do's and Dont's and Brand options would be appreciated
Thankyou Tony.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:19

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:19
Hi Tony

The type and style will come down to individual preference, but must include the following:

Must be 100% Australian owned and made - not a cheaper made imported swag from our northern neighbours. The first thing you will notice is the quality and thickness of the canvas. Your canvas will be the most important factor apart from the mattress and there has been many times when we have had to pull the canvas over our head during the night when it has come in wet and next morning had puddles of water on top of the swag.

Best possible high density mattress.

To help protect the underside of the swag, we always carry a small cut down plastic garden rake and always rake the area where the swag will be placed, to remove and stones and sticks. We then put down a ground sheet and this will keep your swag looking like new.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 440383

Reply By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:27

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:27
Hi Tony

I agree with Stephen, it may be cheaper to buy some imported swags, but in the long run, with replacements and repairs, they will prove more expensive. I live in a central location, next to Lake Gregory (WA), and you really need to determine the time of year and weather conditions that you will be in for, and plan your purchase accordingly.

Brands are irrelevant, as there are many good quality swags out there, you need to ensure that you select a swag with good a quality canvas, and as Stephen said, a dense mattress, and be able to prepare the surface of the ground that you are goiung to camp on.

Good luck with your purchase and camping.

Cheers
Why travel overseas, you could travel Australia your entire life, and not see it all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 440385

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:29

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:29
Just went thru this saga ..................... ended up with a burke and wills KING single redgum brought thru Wildearth on eBay ............... was the cheapest at $520 shipped and arrived within 24 hours) and they even threw in the camo colour at no extra cost. (One store wanted $300 extra for camo) Another note is that some brands are just rebranded Burke & Wills selling their single at even more than the Burke & Wills King size.
Also when placing something umder swag ............. make sure it doesn't protrude out from the outer edges of the swag as when it rains it creates a dam effect as the water runs off the swag and pools on the under lying mat.
Cheers and happy trails.
AnswerID: 440386

Reply By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:48

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 21:48
Do: Good quality canvas, a fly screen, a high density mattress, air vents and hoops at head and feet. They do cost a bit but are well worth the money!
AnswerID: 440388

Reply By: steven1175 - Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 23:25

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 23:25
Southen Cross.
Take a look here:
http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/swags/dome-swags/
AnswerID: 440398

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 04:29

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 04:29
Tony

Gotta agree about the Southern Cross Dome swags.
When we did the Canning last year, "Bailes" took his.

Brilliant setup.

Mini tent style certainly runs rings around my dome swag, but then again they were not around whan I got my Bourke & Will's Dome swag.

They are all good if you keep dry, and warm.
Don't forget to get a -10c or a -12c sleeping bag too, and an old spare throw over one, as it gets incredibly cold at nights, once you get below the Tropic of Capricorn.
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 440414

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:58

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:58
Candy Canvas .Tintinara SA
Make Top quality swags & canvas goods . as well as the Follow me tray camper

Daz have a good one
AnswerID: 440423

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:03

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:03
Gidday

Watch the size .. different brands have different ideas about what makes a king single Being trapped inside a swag that is a bit on the small side and hard to roll over in isn't much fun.

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 440433

Reply By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:04

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:04
Hi Tony,

Just a quick word on swag safety!

Regardless of style brand name etc... pay particular attention on where you intend to place your swag before going to bed, I prefer to place mine as close to the 4wd as possible (next to the car under the awning).

I have had mates get driven over in the middle of the night by a bunch of drunken yobbos going for a midnight drive, the mates thought they would be safe out in the bush as no one could see them!

Don't know if I would get a cammo swag for the same reason!

AnswerID: 440442

Reply By: chook2706 - Monday, Jan 03, 2011 at 00:38

Monday, Jan 03, 2011 at 00:38
A big yes vote for the AOS Tracker. Bought ours last year. 70mm mattress, full length mossie net, very good quality.

Takes a bit to setup and is a bit heavy, however have spent a few weeks in it now and wouldnt do without it. Best camping investment I have had.

Also, get their swag bag, which rolls out into a tarp for underneath.
AnswerID: 440522

Sponsored Links