Nissan Vs Toyota - still much the same

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 19:32
ThreadID: 83432 Views:3112 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A very long time ago we purchased a brand new soft top Nissan and I thought it was the Ants pants (not the missus). It had few negative design features such as the steering, tyres, noise, useless seats and a somewhat robust suspension.

Needless to say it was mine, and several improvements were added over time including Recaro suspension seats, a decent ash tray, rear seat, hard top and winch.

The latter two are memorable, and nearly caused a divorce on both sides of the marriage. We’ll start with the hard top first.

After coming back from a camping trip to the North of Benambra the car had a bit of mud on it. During the time we were washing it I received a telephone call and let the missus to do her thing.

I came out to witness her attacking the year door with Jex! The conversation thereafter is not fit for publication.

Not all that long after, we visited a few Italian friends in what was then known as the Tobacco producing area around Myrtleford.

Following a rather robust lunch (with Vino) the mate decided we should go fishing down on the river, which we did.

On the way back to the house the Nissan got bogged in the wet ground, but fortunately there was an old dead tree close by.

As a young bloke I’d only had experience with PTO’s on the farm and didn’t know much about technology. So we connected up the gadget, I placed the right hand index finger in the hook, and proceeded to press the button.

Exist one index finger. Later on I was informed there are two buttons, and some importance is placed on getting it right.

Not long after that, the Nissan was sold and we purchased a SWB FJ45 and what a car it was. Far better than the Nissan to drive, even though it had the same cross ply tyres.

However, the Toyo had a few problems, particularly with transfer wind up. If I had a Dollar for every time I put the mongrel of a thing into first, reverse and then rocked the thing sideways I’d be a rich man.

I’d also have to say that brakes were not on the list of design features. We almost came to grief one day going down a Spur that only a goat would attempt. Obviously a manufacturing problem! LOL

So which manufacturer would I choose? In truth they still have their same strengths and weakness even to this day.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 20:48
I managed to combine most of the worst attributes of both by owning a series of Mk 1 short wheel base Landrovers, repowered with 186 and 202 Holden donks.

Appalling seats, steering that could whip your thumb off, doors, windows and roof that could lift off. Airconditioning or heating unheard of. Unbreakable, go anywhere...and you could take the front seat out...lift the floor panels and change the gear box.
Learnt a lot......but never again!

AnswerID: 440724

Reply By: ob - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 13:24

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 13:24
I notice most of the "usual suspects" are not rising to the bait this time.

LOL

Must be the Xmas spirit

ob
AnswerID: 440780

Follow Up By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 21:20

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 21:20
ok Toyota :-)
FollowupID: 712700

Reply By: Member - peter K (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 16:28
Hi bluefly Have similar experiances with those type of 4wd.They have both improved alot.But i was checking out some new landrover defender4wd short wheelbase unit.I think lr have copied the old nissan /tojo.what a bucket struggled to get in ,was like being in a sardine can I though that it must be a old one just in good nick got out quick Yours peter
AnswerID: 440786

Sponsored Links