Garmin NUVI GPS Help needed, please ~!

Submitted: Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 01:44
ThreadID: 83480 Views:3982 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Have just acquired a Garmin Nuvi 260W and have a couple of problems to resolve ............
PROBLEM ONE :
In attempting to create more 'space' on the machine I cunningly deleted all the non-required 'voices' except for one ...
a nice lucid aussie lass ....Karen, I think !
I also deleted all the un-neccessary languages, except Aussie ........ I thought !!
Now ......... I have no Voice Instructions at all !! Nowt/zilch/BA/nada/etc....

This is a bummer .............. can I get her back ?? And how ??
My cunning plan obviously wasn't that cunning.

Can I download the neccessary stuff online myself ....
or does it have to go back to Garmin/somewhere else ??
Or can it not be 'un-deleted ??

PROBLEM TWO :
More of a query really .............
The unit has City Navigator NT 2009 loaded.
Is there some way I can 'squirt' this from my Garmin into my PC ...
or do I need to 'buy' one ?? (so I can 'play' on the PC)

I would like to add Tracks4Australia and/or ShonkyMaps, which was the reason for the deletions in the first place,
either loading direct or via SD card.
( Yes, I know - the voice is ONLY for city driving. )
My question is : iffen I get the T4A CD (again, so I can 'play' on the PC) can it be copied to an SD card,
plonk it in the Garmin .... and away we go ??

The over-all idea is to overcome having to use my 'bulky' laptop whilst under way during bush prospecting trips -.
I used a smallee Garmin in Melbourne recently and was quite impressed with them for city/town driving.
Plus ........ I like 'gadgets ! '

Any advice would be much appreciated ...... particularly from any other 'cunning planners !!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 04:57

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 04:57
Pedro
Annoyed me to no end when a work collegue loaded up heaps of things on his Navman, which uses Windows CE, and is basically a Palmtop Computer.
He had lots of goodies loaded up, and could easily switch from one to the other system.

When I showed him my garmin Nuvi 1490, to my disgust I found out that it ie Linux based, and as yet have not found a way into it.
No doubt they have some very good points, but does not have the versitility, of switching, like the Navman.

Hope this makes sence to you, as I have almost confused myself here.
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 440921

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 08:57

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 08:57
You can use the Garmin Webupdater to re install voices etc.

Garmin web updater

I don't believe you can download the maps from the unit to your pc. The only way to get them onto the PC is to buy the latest maps on CD, or Buy em and download them.

I coulod be wrong so try this site.

GPS Oz
AnswerID: 440933

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 04:32

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 04:32
NotsoWrong, mate !!!

WebUpdater worked like a charm ........ now have the lovely Karen back on board!!

Have now got both T4A and ShonkyMaps on the Laptop ....... just what I wanted to do !!
AND, as a bonus, because I had to register my unit to get 'up-dated' .....
Garmin advises that my unit has been subject to a recall (faulty battery) and I will get a new battery install.
(Apparently the previous owner never registered it ....another win !

Thanks to all again ................
FollowupID: 713150

Reply By: B1B2 - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 09:20

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 09:20
G'day Pedro,
Problem 2 - you need 'Mapsource' to work with your GPS. I have the Garmin Oregon 300 and bought the CN2009, then you load it into your unit. I then downloaded shonky maps and T4A using 'Mapsource' and put them on my GPS. When I am remote i can disable CN2009 and enable shonky maps for fantastic detail. My B in Law had a Nuvi and I managed to load maps & waypoints on his unit.
I think you can download a free legal copy of mapsource if you look.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 440936

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 04:58

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 04:58
Thanks B1B2 ..... and others !

Quite correct ..... got on the GpsOZ site, bumbled around a bit but finally got MapSource downloaded and installed.

Fumbled a bit more and eventually got both T4A and ShonkyMaps installed on the laptop ...... will now send the Garmin off for it's new free battery install .... then do some 'playing' with the programmes.

So now I have T4A, ShonkyMaps, MapSource, OziExplorer, NatMaps, Hema Towns and cities, TopEnd Hema, etc ..... and heaps of paper maps, plus my Nuvi, a Garmin 60 GPS, a SPOT thingy, a Bushnell BACK-Tracker, three compasses, two packs of out-of-date Marine Flares, an extra-ordinary LOUD shriek and a really strong sense of survival ...........

"what could possibly go wrong ...... ?? "

FollowupID: 713151

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 09:50

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 09:50
As suggested earlier run webUpdater.
Don't detete the files again without copying them somewhere else first!

If the GPS has not previously registered you could go tomyGarmin. If you are lucky you may be able to download the mapset again. If you can make sure you select the option to install to your PC as well. The downloaded mapset will also be visible in MapSource.
AnswerID: 440941

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 16:42

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 16:42
OK - many thanks to all :

Problem One has been resolved .............. in the affirmative !
Got onto MyGarmin, registered the gadget, updated the maps, re-loaded (down-loaded ?) the lovely Karen's voice ....
(tried down-loading 'Karen' herself but technology apparently hasn't progressed that far yet ??)
AND all is well .....................

Problem Two : Still working on it !

Thanks again ..............
AnswerID: 440981

Follow Up By: cruza25 - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 20:06

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 20:06
hi

i have the same and for shonkymaps just download free and copy to sd card in the nuvi connected to pc

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/index.php

this is a good gps forum loads of stuff to get you sorted

http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

also here

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=385bde82677939d26fa5940b3849af26&daysprune=&f=88

cheers happy reading

mike
FollowupID: 712942

Sponsored Links