The Big Guns Hit Roma

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:30
ThreadID: 83524 Views:3613 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We have just received these photos from my son who works out of Injune, north of Roma.
SANTOS have closed off all the Gas Fields and they have all been sent down to Roma because of the weather. These pictures may have made news up in Queensland, but I have not heard about the big Air Force planes down here. The RAAF have landed here to help out at Surat which is about 45 minutes south from Roma and St George about 2 hours away.

To those that are living up there in the flood effected areas of Queensland, our thoughts go out to you in these times of disaster.

Cheers to all.

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:36

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:36
G'day Stephen.
Some photos here, http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/01/australian_flooding.html taken from another forum.

niss42
AnswerID: 441144

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:47

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:47
Hi Niss42

Thanks for the link, those pictures are unreal. Like many Australians, we have been all through those devastated areas in Queensland and it seems impossible that all that volume of water has ruined so many peoples houses, work places and such.

Let us all hope that they all get back on their feet fast, and not drawn out over the coming months.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 713092

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:02

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:02
I had to crack a smile at photo No 14, Thongs .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 713152

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:41

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:41
Just a minor correction....pedantic I know....but those helicopters are Seakings from 817 Squadron at the Navy Air Station HMAS ALBATROSS in Nowra NSW. The medium lift fixed wing jobbies are C130J's from (I believe) 37 Squadron at RAAF Richmond NSW. Give it all you got guys.......I know you enjoy helping out wherever you are sent.
AnswerID: 441148

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:53

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:53
Hi Patrol 22

Thanks for the correction, as my son thought that they were all from the RAAF.

Let the True Aussie Spirit Shine and we can all be proud that our boys and girls are there to help out in times like this.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 713094

Follow Up By: Hollywood - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:56

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 18:56
Yup, they are J's. 6 blades on the props.
FollowupID: 713095

Follow Up By: The Esplanade - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 19:34

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 19:34
I think it is great that the Armed Forces are involved. In fact I think there should be more of them. They are at least paid, and these events are such great opportunities to develop and practice their skills, great for PR and helps out those poor over stretched valiant SES volunteers ( and all those other volunteers) that are often victim themselves.
Well done, and hopefully more will be able to help.
FollowupID: 713104

Follow Up By: Hollywood - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 09:44
The red tape that has to be cut to get ADF help is beyond belief. The have to ask permission to request access to speak to the bloke who knows the phone number of the security detail in charge of the Chief of Defence before a wheel can be turned. The ADF have a thing call DACC. Defence Aid to the Civil Community. How about mobilising it without the red tape........
FollowupID: 713167

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:37

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:37
Agree Hollywood that the red tape is a bit too much...but that's the joys of our type of government...ie a federal system where the States have control of almost everything really except to a few exceptions as spelt out in our constitution. In cases like this the State government has absolute control and unless they invite the Federal government to help out (ie the ADF) then the ADF and other such agencies cannot just rock up. I was part of the team the mobilised in the wake of Cyclone Tracy......and this was done in just a couple of hours. The ADF was expecting to be called on and as such I and other like me were recalled to work within 4 hours of Tracy demolishing Darwin and we sailed within 48 hours ...some ships and the embarked helicopter squadrons less than half complement. Same goes today..the local commanders read the tea leaves expecting to get the call and are able to mobilise quickly.
FollowupID: 713189

Follow Up By: Hollywood - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:44

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:44
Ahh, nope. I am in my room, its raining more. We have trucks that could be turning perfectly good diesel into soot carrying the Ginger beers plant up ready to go when it subsides. Or at least loading it.

Being ADHD sucks when it rains........
FollowupID: 713192

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 22:24

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 22:24
Unreal is the only word. We never got a spot of rain while down is SA. This arvo we had to chase the Condamine to get home. It beat us on the Gore Highway and were told to go via Cecil Plains. That will be the next on the list of road closures again as the river moves along. More rain falling and some heavy rain due again tomorrow. While down south we watched it on the tv but seeing it for real is another thing. Maybe now my uncle in SA will stop complaining about us QLD's not sharing. We followed the Darling to Wilcania she's full.
AnswerID: 441175

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 08, 2011 at 23:01
Hi Sharon

Good to hear that you got home safely. We did the Murraylands drive last weekend and I am doing a blog which should be up soon.

It is so hard to believe all that water and how you poor Queenslanders are copping. We are thinking of you all up there.

All I can say is take care and keep dry.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 713134

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:04

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:04
Stephen
The 2 Helicopters.... they look like Navy.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 441189

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:01

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:01
Hi Doug

Patrol22 has pointed that out above.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 713181

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:10

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:10
Do any of you remember the Winton Cafe back in the 1980's run by Irene Cragg and her late Husband Bill Cragg. When Bill passed away Irene moved to Bundaberg, I gave her a phone call a couple of days ago and her house was out of flood reach so that was good to hear. She told me Winton has had very little rain.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 441190

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 10:15

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 10:15
I remember the Winton Cafe, Doug. Pleased to hear Irene is safe. One of our friends had to helicoptered out from her property at Surat last week, stilll not home yet. Her house is high and has concrete underneath but the water come up and under - all over her property.
I hope the Govt. (local, state and fed) finally realises that most of the flooded housing is because money changes hands via developers (and the mining industry in places like Emerald) which is why housing has been built on flood areas. Wicked. Time compo was paid and the low lying areas turned into grassy parks for people to enjoy. Here ends my rant.
We are fine here, cut off by the Logan for a day but it goes up and down like the proverbial bride's nightie - not like the might rivers out west and north which stay up for months on end. Ian like a restless tiger waiting to get back to Birdsville to start the next project. Hope you are keeping well, Doug. Haven't had much time to talk this year - been commuting a lot to NQ with family problems. Ruth
FollowupID: 713175

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:08

Monday, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:08
The C130's have to be careful landing in St George. They are not allowed to refuel in St George as it makes them too heavy and they break through the pavement :(

I wish they didn't decommission the caribuo as they were a better aircraft to land in St George. Maybe they will get the Chooks to come in if fodder drops are needed for the livestock :)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 441333

Sponsored Links