icecool ice boxes

Submitted: Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 01:56
ThreadID: 8355 Views:4191 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all , Just after some imformation on the" icecool" range of ice boxes , im looking at buying the 100 lt box and wanting to hear of any feed back thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dixie ( W.A.) - Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:00

Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:00
just a correction that should have read "IceKool"
AnswerID: 36493

Reply By: Fishin' Dave - Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 15:40

Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 15:40
Being a hard-core fisho - I've spent a lot of dollars and tried most brands.
Here are a couple of points to consider.
There are two main materials - fibreglass and the newer polyethylene.
IceKool are made by Evakool - their first entry into the polyethylene market.
They are cheap by comparison to glass boxes.
I spoke to Tony, the Qld rep at the Brisbane Boat Show and he suggested the IceKool were a cheaper and less effective than their top range glass boxes.
They were not designed to compete with their glass boxes.
I bought a small one to use for bait and it is great for that job but does not hold ice anywhere near as long as my EvaKool.

EvaKool have new brand on the market called a KeepitKool.
It is a cheaper version, made of fibreglass - 110lt box sells for $419 as compared to a 110lt EvaKool box which sells for $460.
You might be able to get a better price on a KeepitKool as there is a much better margin for the retail than the EvaKool.

If you're after value for money, look at a Tropical poly box.
I have their biggest and it is comparable to my glass boxes.
Other brands to look at include Iceytek (? spelling) Cosmos (C&C trading)

Glass and poly both have their advantages and dissadvantages - and those users who will swear by one or the other.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Dave >
AnswerID: 36531

Follow Up By: dixie ( W.A.) - Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 21:54

Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 21:54
Thanks Dave , But still i dont know if the IceKool is as good as the others? They look good as in they have 50mm walls and lid wheres as the Icey-tek has 30mm walls 35mm floor and from 58mm lid .Is it the thickness of the lid that makes it good or over all thinkness?Im on a $300 budjet and it will get used 2-3 times a years so no point in spending large money for it to sit around most the year.I know the 100lt icekool is $249 and the Tropical a few dollars dearer dont know yet about the icey-tek? but hope to find out here which is the best out of the cheaper range of ice boxes thanks
FollowupID: 26391

Reply By: Fishin' Dave - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 08:03

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 08:03
I chose EvaKool for my glass boxes and Tropical for my poly box.
For a box that is meant for cold storage rather than chilled food etc - I chose the IceKool - in the smaller size so can't help you with info on the bigger size IceKool I'm sorry.

The main reason I chose Tropical was the lid thickness - the lid sees most of the heat from the sun so, to my mind, needs to be thickest.
Trolpical have 40mm thick walls, 45mm base, 85mm lid with a refrigeration grade seal.
Tropical
I'm not sponsored by either company so have no "cash for comments" interest.

Dave >
AnswerID: 36591

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 13:39

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 13:39
We have an BO85lt Evakooland find it really good for out camping. We freeze 2 & 3 lt milk containers and use them for block ice. They stay frozen for up to a week, and then we have fresh water if needed as well. We still take the engel for all the frozens though. But as for the brand you are asking about dixie, I havn't heard of them, but now days they are all pretty much the same arn't they?
Good luckKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 36606

Reply By: malbie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:30

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:30
Hi, the tropical would have to be the one for me, a) its got better grade plastic,not recycled. b) its thicker in insulation, c) they have a very strong hinge system on there box as well, hope this helps, Regards Malbie
AnswerID: 36875

Sponsored Links