oder coated bullbars

Hi Guys,

I will be fitting a bull bar with brush bars to my 100 series. I,m looking to have them powder coated white (Same as Cruiser). Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of powder coating?

Thx
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:49

Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:49
Powder coating is an effective way to coat and protect your bull bar. My best mate owns a glass and aluminium shop and has his own powder coater, hence I get most of my stuff powder coated.

One thing to note is that while it is a hard durable finish it will still rust in area's where the coat is damaged, so areas that are exposed to stone chips, scratches and damage will get rust on them once the coating is scratched. Further I have seen some bull bars where water has got under the coating in these damaged area's and lifted it off (gone flaky)

My mate explains these details to any one who wants there (steel) bull bar powder coated.

By far powder coating works best on alloy as it attaches its self to the surface far better and also no rust issues with alloy.

After saying all that I had one of my steel bull bars powder coated and had no issues with it, it was obvious that the coating was not as durable as it was on my latter coated alloy bars however.

Regards
AnswerID: 441787

Reply By: Von Helga - Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:45

Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:45
Noel,
I have the same rig and thought it better to keep them black.
A can of flat matt spray as a touch up as needed kept them looking good.
Trevor
AnswerID: 441794

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 23:35

Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 23:35
G'day Noel,

I agree, a colour coded bullbar looks pretty schmik, maybe it would be better left as matt black. Light reflection from the headlights can be a real PITA, worse if you have driving lights as well.

Or, if you really want a bar the same colour as your vehicle, spend some time getting glare reducing stuff (technical term) put on the rear of the tubing.

My .02

AnswerID: 441864

Sponsored Links