A local's view from QLD

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 20:08
ThreadID: 83657 Views:3732 Replies:2 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Here is part of what I sent to my work mates.

My sister is a local just out of Ipswich and there’re doing it tough at the moment.

I wouldn’t suggest travelling in the area unless you’re prepared to lend a hand for a couple of weeks and be totally self sufficient.

‘I‘d like to thank those people who helped me out (you know who you are) during the Qld flood crisis.

My sister finally rang on Friday, and although she was distressed, the family is ok apart from a shortage of the bare necessities.

Here are some of the key comments she made:

• No food, clean water, electricity, stock feed, emerging health issues and access.

• She said they were terrified on Tuesday night and could hear the sound of the upper Brisbane River which is almost a kilometre from the house. ‘It sounded like a jet engine’ she said.

• In the immediate area, twenty homes have been destroyed and countless others submerged.

In the lower areas of northern Ipswich, roads have been destroyed along with critical infrastructure.

All of this is coming from a girl whose daily working life is gluing up crash victims on the side of roads. When she tells me it’s been rough, I believe her.

Being in emergency services, she also believes that many victims will never be found, or only by accident in the coming years’.

It's one thing to see the daily reports, but another to hear the distess from somebody who is on the ground.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 21:03

Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 21:03
Gooday Bluefly,
glad your sister is OK.
Sure I can speak for all here, we are sorry for your sisters loss and we feel for everyone going through the trauma of the floods at this time.
We wish her and everyone else all the best.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 441849

Follow Up By: bluefly - Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 21:37

Friday, Jan 14, 2011 at 21:37
Thanks Fred

That means a lot to me.

I'll past your comments on, and any other support that comes from this site.

Sometimes a few kind words mean a lot.

Cheers
FollowupID: 713947

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:06

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:06
Hi Bluefly, I live in Park Ridge which is not far from Ipswich. I own a earthmoving business and am only to happy to help your sister out if she needs it. We have plenty of spare room also if she needs somewhere to stay. You can contact me on 0409638447. Give me a call as my machines are out there helping those who need it, no problem. Cheers Mick.
FollowupID: 714017

Follow Up By: bluefly - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 18:13

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 18:13
Many thanks Michael and Chris.

They’re ok and had the power restored round 4pm today. Further down however, things are pretty grim, as you probably know.

My sister spent most of last night attending to the injured, and is sounding a bit buggered at the moment.

They haven’t had power or access to radio or TV. So we probably know more than they do.

Your kind offer of machinery was taken very emotionally by my family, but they think it would be better used, if you contacted the Ipswich Council to help others out.

Both my sister and her husband are still worried about the Wivenhoe Dam, which according to them, is at 150% (flood mitigation).

Cheers

FollowupID: 714144

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 18:28

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 18:28
It was explained on TV that the Wivenhoe Dam is capable of handling a

maximum of 220% and as said also on TV when it gets to a certain point it will

automatically open the gates to drop the level.

They are trying to lower the level systematically before the King tides on Friday

Theoretically it should never get overfull.

BUT after the rain we have seen who knows.

At 150% I think you dont need to worry as this dam and most others have a

huge allowance past 100%

FollowupID: 714145

Follow Up By: bluefly - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:19

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:19
Graham

What you probably don’t know, is that there are couple of weirs downstream, built during the time of the First World War. This is their principle worry.

Irrespective of what the media says, the volume of water coming out of the Wivenhoe Dam is significant, and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

I’m sure the government has this under control, but if one of those weirs collapsed; I’d hate to think of the damage.

Needless to say I think everything will be ok in time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 714147

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:23

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:23
"but if one of those weirs collapsed"

It wouldn't matter anymore as the water that is being released from Wivenhoe is that great that you wouldn't even know the weirs were there.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 714148

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:50

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:50
If the weirs are their worry perhaps you should have said so but as you said

they were worried about the dam my answer was in response to that.

FollowupID: 714150

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 21:39

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 21:39
Bluefly, Hi mate hope all is well. I contacted the Ipswich and the Brisbane council and I still haven't herd back from them, so I have taken a few of my machines out to Bundamba at Ipswich and just got into it. I had my tippers, some other bloke who I don't even know his name had a tipper, another skip bin buisness dropped off about 15 skips and best of all was an old rear fill garbage compactor. Between all of us we managed to clean up an entire housing estate. The owners of the houses were so thankful as all the rotting food is stinking the place up. Yhere is so much more too do so back at it again tomorrow. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 714161

Follow Up By: bluefly - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 22:35

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 22:35
Mick

You’re going to be one of the heroes on this site. God bless you for what you’re doing!

My sister said the same thing; the stink was unbelievable the other night when she was patching people up.

I’m going to pass your details onto the family now that they have the power on, and access to the internet (I think).

She’s a Para Medic.

Blokes like you should be casted in bronze for the community work your undertaking.

Cheers

FollowupID: 714166

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 22:08

Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 22:08
Bluefly, Thanks mate but I am no hero, I simply have the means to help out and did so. Some of the stuff the army and police are doing need praise not me and also the army of volunteers, oh and of course people like your sister as well. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 714243

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 08:42

Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 08:42
I hope we all can review our prepardness from being exposed to these events Bluefly.

We are at the opposite end of the country here in Vic and have our own but smaller floods just reaching there peak now.

Was at the edge of the normally small Yea river saturday and like your sister said the power of what is now a raging torrent smashing its way down a narrow valley does make you think a bit.

The local roadhouse air conditioner had failed , the cappicino machine was fried as well and its was fascinating watching the reactions of some, to whom this inconvience seemed to be a major issue.

As the extremes of weather cycles slowly and inevitably increase I think the message is clear !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 442075

Sponsored Links