Removing Crap from Paintwork

I am over it,as the restuarant next to my wifes work decides it doesnt want to keep its exhaust filters in place it spits all the residue (peanut oil, thai Resturant) over both our cars +other cars in her private carpark, depending on which one she takes to work, either the prado or the other toyota, Have just spent 1 & 1/2 hours on bonnet alone trying to remove the little brown dots all over the paintwork, still have the rest of the prado to do, roof will be a nightmare, can see it all over the sunroof. Any one got any ideas on what will remove this alot easier then my fingernail on each dot then having to polish it as well. I dont mind polishing my cars always have, to keep the paintwork in good nick but have better things to do with my time removing brown dots that is caused by someone not wanting to do the right thing and keep their cooking filters in place. I have contacted the council who didnt bother to get back to me, have contacted the EPA and they want nothing to do with it as its a small business, what small businesses cant pollute like the big ones ?? she has no where else to park so isnt an option, has used a car cover on hers afew times but to hard for the wife to put up over prado, and why should she have to, What else could I use to remove the crap ??? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 12:56

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 12:56
Have just found out they use an oil called Tallow Oil, is legal to use (fair enough) and the amounts been let out through their filters is legal ???? Will be definately finding out more and chasing council again on moday. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 441910

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:11

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:11
Have you tried degreaser Steve. Interesting a lot of our work cars have little brown dots which I put down to sap from trees. BUT we have a takeaway next door to I WONDER.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 441911

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:21

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:21
Yeah mate have tried that, tried washing with pretty hot water thinking it might dissolve it but not working. Have just shot another email off to council about requesting they either ring me or email me. I have added a reciept read email so I know when they have opened it so they cant say they didnt get it. This has been going on over 12 months, even put white test tiles down on the ground and with in weeks are nearly brown, have reported it back to council and still havnt heard anything. The info I heard about a certain amount been ok to be in the atmosphere was from some one on the restaurant industry but will be checking that on monday, cant see how it is legal, Will also be keeping all receipts for polishing materials and have asked the Realestate next door to keep any receipts they receive from detailers they use and will be forwarding on to the council, if that doesnt work then I will continue with what ever is appropriate. So peeved at the moment about the crap on both cars knowing it will be there again next week. Over polishing can damage the paintwork just as much as not using it.. Regards Steve And also this oil is used in a heap of restaurants, which Im lead to believe, Macca's as well ??
FollowupID: 714009

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 14:18

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 14:18
Hi Steve

Try and get hold of Prepsol and this will save you a lot of elbow grease. Before you ask, here is the next answer:

What is Prepsol ?

Prepsol in known under many different trade names eg. Prepwash, Autoclean, Solwash etc. It is a solvent cleaner used to clean panels of dirt, grease, silicone, natural oils (such as finger marks) etc. Sign panels, banners, vehicle panels etc are cleaned with this solution prior to adhering self adhesive vinyl. This ensures good adhesion between the products.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 441919

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:37

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:37
Yeah Mate saw that stuff at supercheap but wasnt sure if it should be used all over the paint work or not and what damage it could do, never used it before and the bloke there told me only good for getting oily substance off like finger prints etc but not for removing tree sap or stuff like that which is similiar to the stuff on mine. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 714022

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:01

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:01
Be very careful putting Prepsol on your paint work! You might take off more than just grease!
FollowupID: 714025

Follow Up By: Roughasguts - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:40

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:40
If prepsol is any thing like wax and grease remover it is great...But will also take the wax of your duco as well and leave a dull finish until re waxed.

Maybe try WD-40 on a small area it's pretty good at removing stuborn black marks crayon Etc.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 714058

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:53

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:53
Hairy, Prepsol is used in the pre-delivery of nearly all new cars!

FollowupID: 714060

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 21:12

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 21:12
Hi Shaker,

You know that and I know that, so that is why I would use it. I have newer seen it remove more than wax. Also the secret to any preparation is to give the car a polish after using Prepsol.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 714062

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 23:47

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 23:47
That's right, we always used it to remove the delivery wax from new vehicles.
FollowupID: 714077

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 14:20

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 14:20
One of the best things to get that type of oily residue off is kerosene. Use it straight and undiluted. It works a treat on tar as well, it just melts off. It doesn't harm the paint at all.

I just use it on an old cloth nappy or a piece of towel and it gets all of the bug guts and road grime off now worries.

Regards
AnswerID: 441920

Follow Up By: Member Boroma 604 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:07

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:07
Gooday,
Try Tee Tree Oil it is sometimes magic.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
FollowupID: 714018

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:42

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:42
Will give the kero a go. Funny you say kero, I use to use that in my washing water years ago when we lived up the coast, my old man use to say throw a 1/2 a cupfull in the bucket then wash the car then rinse it off as you do but the kero would leave a residue in the bottoms of the doors etc and stop it from rusting due to the salt air. Dont know wether it would have worked over the years as I sold the car but thankyou and will go get some now, just finished doing the roof, about to start on rear 1/4's but will duck over first to the shops and grab some. Still have wifes car to do so hopefully will make it a lot quicker and a loss let sweat and swearing lol Regards steve M
FollowupID: 714023

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:36

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:36
As Hairy said about Prepsol, Kero is aslo a cutting agent if rubbed to hard.
Cheers Dave..
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 714041

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:54

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:54
Kerosine is not an abrasive even though it is used as an aid when milling/drilling metals.
It is this use that confuses those with less knowledge

All mineral oils, which are derived from crude oil, starting with gasoline (a poor lubricant) through kerosene, heating and diesel oils and on up into the families of light to heavy viscosity oils that include bunker and asphalt are considered lubricating oils
FollowupID: 714043

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 22:59

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 22:59
I may be one of those with less knowledge, But I have carted bunker fuel and bitumen for over 20 years mainly using stainless steel tankers which we cleaned using kero and I can guarantee if you rub any bunker or bitumen spills with kero you will scratch the stainless and any paint work on your truck.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 714072

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:57

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 15:57
Mineral turps (same theme as kero) might be the go - works for me at times - I often use genuine JIF cream cleanser too - that is quite powerful on paint spots (and skin too - must wear gloves). Here in SA, councils generally have the reputation of being good at collecting $ rates and nothing else - they are totally useless with noise pollution. Your methodical approach re this mess though might prod your council into action - hope so :-o).
AnswerID: 441929

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:02

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:02
Be careful of the Jif if you've got metallic paint - remove the top clear gloss and you've stuffed the surface.
But I concur with turps of kero - removes a lot of stubborn spots, with no damage to paint, metallic or otherwise.
Gerry

FollowupID: 714035

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 18:13

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 18:13
Indeed Gerry - hadn't thought of that factor because we only ever buy white cars ! (call me old fashioned ?)...... makes me recall our 99 Jackaroo - had it for 8 years and never polished it once - didn't seem to look any different when we sold it - modern paints can be so tough.
FollowupID: 714045

Follow Up By: DesF - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:02

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:02
Hi Another vote for turps , I works many years (26years) in the motor trade etc and we used mineral turps for dewaxing new cars and bikes , the best part is that it dries clean, we also washed the workshop floor etc with it as well , not slippery, we used to buy it in 200ltrs from Shell.
always carry some in the vehicles for tar removal, only snag it is now dearer than petrol, which does the same job but quicker , but not as safe ,
Cheers Des,
FollowupID: 714055

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:03

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:03
Gday,
A garden hose down his flue would probably cure your problem?
AnswerID: 441930

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:12

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:12
Id like to put more then that down there Hairy, given me the bleep s (not sure I can use that word on here these days,soon find out I suppose) but that is been polite. Cant believe the EPA want to know nothing about it ?? Told me they dont deal with small businesses ??? Not sure why, they can do just as much enviromental damage and some one else, nearly been pinged before by my council ranger for washing my car on the nature strip told me to move it or he would fine me for the soap suds going down the drain, wasnt parked over footpath either, he told me was council land, was on the front lawn, moved my car before he decided to get camera out for his proof then asked him when he was intending to come around and mow the front nature strip for me seen as he told me its council land and I pay rates to these clowns !!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 714027

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:42

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:42
Steve I think who ever you rang at the EPA gave you the brush off maybe because it was knock off time perhaps or the boygirl/friend was on the other line. I would ring them again and ask for the superviser. I have rung them years ago , and they acted promptly.
If you want to go further with the EPA ring your local member and ask for info to go to the top. What you where told is bull.
Good luck Pete
AnswerID: 441934

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:44

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:44
Actually what really gets action , especially with an election due in March is get the media involved.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 714030

Reply By: spudseamus - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:32

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:32
Having worked in the manufacturing of kitchen equipment for 25 yrs I can tell you that it is an offense to use an exhaust canopy without approved filters!! thats why they are there !! to catch all the oil !! get your health Dept to intervene in contravenes so many rules and im sure they will give it a health check as well !!! ignorance of the law is no excuse .
AnswerID: 441943

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:54

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:54
But they cost money to exchange clean ones!!
Cheaper if they're not there!
Gerry

FollowupID: 714061

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:56

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:56
You could try CT18 Truckwash

Just dont leave it on too long before rinsing as use over a long time can take the shine off the paint, sometimes.

Before the advocators jump on me I did say sometimes LOL

AnswerID: 441946

Sponsored Links