One way-valve for water drum

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:08
ThreadID: 83679 Views:2577 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What's available for use on a 20 ltr water drum so that I can leave the screw-on cap tight and be able to get water out via a tap?
The drums will be in a nice tight spot and only come out when I need to fill them - at other times whilst travelling the cap will be out of reach.
So I need some sort of one-way valve at the top (in the cap perhaps) that will stop water spilling out when sloshing around whilst driving.
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:41

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 16:41
We use these one way check valves as breathers made by Speedflow for some of the custom alloy fuel tanks we build.
The pic below shows one attached to a Bosch fuel pump

They have a spring inside them so will only open under a set pressure but for our applications we remove the spring so it vents all the time but if fuel splashes up or the car/boat turns turtle then it seals up with the pressure of the fuel (or in your case water) pushing it closed.
Regards Andrew.

AnswerID: 441933

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:07

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 17:07
This is my "miserable old fart" solution, & it works...drill a 1/16 hole at an angle
through the cap.Too simple maybe?;..:))))). Cut a piece of rag & put over cap with a rubber band or tape if dust is an issue......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 441938

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 00:45

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 00:45
Thats exactly what I used to do - any spillage of water was minute and not worth worrying about.
FollowupID: 714084

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 18:09

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 18:09
I don't like using those taps on the side of the drum as they are very susceptible to being broken off. Instead I got hold of a cap that REPLACES the top cap & has a tap built in. It also has an automatic air bleed to assist the water in coming out. So you just tip the drum on its side & away you go.

Unfortunatly I cannot for the life of me remember where I bought it but I know that a few of my camping friends have seen mine & gone & bought their own so they must still be available.

AnswerID: 441949

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:52

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:52
Pool shops sell them for chlorine bottles.
FollowupID: 714102

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 17:01

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 17:01
Find a sheep farmer. They will have hundreds of them as a new one comes with each drum of drench.

FollowupID: 714138

Reply By: IanJB1 - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 18:14

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 18:14
Hi Moose,
I was very inventive when I had your problem and the answer was very cheap and dead reliable.
I got a skindivers snorkel purge valve and fitted it to a suitable sized hole in the lid. I was carefull choosing the hole size but it works perfectly. I also have a click hose connector on the jerry outlet and can fill it with a hose without having to lift it out. The purge valve lets the air out during filling.
If you need to buy a purge valve they are available at watersports that stock "Land and Sea" equipment for about $6 for 4 or 5.

Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 441950

Follow Up By: IanJB1 - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 14:25

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 14:25
Whoops, that should have read "The purge valve does NOT let the air out during filling." One too many Bundys was the cause.
FollowupID: 714122

Sponsored Links